WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of painting the letters of the bezel on my GW-9000A, and all I have so far as paint thinner is concerned to remove the excess, is acetone.

Has anyone used acetone for this before? Or applied acetone to the bezel for stealthing? Just wondering if it will damage it in any way, and hoping for some real world experiance.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I melted a bezel with paint thinner... but I've seen acetone recommended. Only have any of these chemicals in contact with the resin for the minimum time necessary. No long soaks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm out of goof off, and it is 40 miles round trip to get some.

I wouldn't let it contact the bezel long. Procedure as I understand it is:

-Paint words or letters with paint
-let paint dry
-tightly wrap a lint-free cloth around your finger
-wet fingertip with solvent
-allow solvent to dry just a bit
-wipe bezel with fingertip
-repeat as needed.

Thanks for the replies guys.

We have one melt the bezel, and one seen as recommended... lol.

Hopefully someone who has tried it will chime in too.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, to anyone searching...

I got the paint, and painted. Then gently wiped using the steps I outlined above.

Now the areas I wiped on the bezel are shiny, which as we all know might be a harbinger of resin rot.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Goof off will also deteriorate the bezel if it is somewhat old. I had one I soaked in Goof Off and it completely destroyed it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Goof off will also deteriorate the bezel if it is somewhat old. I had one I soaked in Goof Off and it completely destroyed it.
i can see this happening if you soaked the bezel.

acetone is vicious on some plastics. i cleaned one of the scales on a SAK i had modded with it once to see what would happen. it only took a little bit on a rag and boom.... you could see the scale melting. i just kept wiping in the same direction until it evaporated. it did not ruin it and the scale definatley made it shiny.

glad the procedure was a success.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts