WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy gang. New here & new to watches. I like dive watches & am interested in the Hydroconquest. I like the look of a cyclops & am wondering if adding one will affect the value of the Watch? Thnx.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Don't hear that every day. From time to time I hear people wanting to get rid of them.

I would say adding it would decrease the watches value. It has nothing to do with the cyclops itself, its just modified watches in general are harder to sell.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have actually done this before. On sapphire, it doesn’t need to be a permanent mod. A swift blow will usually knock it off if you don’t like it. I bought the cyclops on eBay, and clear UV glue from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Have you investigated how you might go about this? I have never heard of someone adding a cyclops. The simplest manner I imagine would be to replace the crystal entirely with one that featured a cyclops, which would have the bonus of allowing you to swap back again so as not to affect resale. That however would require that such a thing was available for the hydroconquest in the first. I'm sure retro-fitting to the existing crystal is possible, but yes, modded watches can definitely be harder to sell.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Since a watch (most watches) will not be worth what you paid for it if you decide to sell it I would do whatever I darn well pleased with it. We are not talking about an ultra high end watch here. The Hydroconquest is not a cheap watch but I wouldn't lose sleep over the harm that a date magnifier will do to value.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Date magnifiers are about $10-$40 on eBay.

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
It will affect value (who knows whether it might be in a positive way or in a negative way) but only if you sell it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are tutorials on YouTube on how to do it & ive also heard that you can get it professionally done for fairly cheap.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Have you investigated how you might go about this? I have never heard of someone adding a cyclops. The simplest manner I imagine would be to replace the crystal entirely with one that featured a cyclops, which would have the bonus of allowing you to swap back again so as not to affect resale. That however would require that such a thing was available for the hydroconquest in the first. I'm sure retro-fitting to the existing crystal is possible, but yes, modded watches can definitely be harder to sell.
It's easy to do. They are cheap to buy and easy to install with UV glue. The main thing is to get a decent one, 2.5x and preferably sapphire, otherwise their utility is limited.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It's easy to do. They are cheap to buy and easy to install with UV glue. The main thing is to get a decent one, 2.5x and preferably sapphire, otherwise their utility is limited.
I'd never really considered it I must say, but now you've got me considering if any of my affordable fun pieces could benefit from a bit of cyclopsing....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I'd never really considered it I must say, but now you've got me considering if any of my affordable fun pieces could benefit from a bit of cyclopsing....
I assume you’re not doing it for aesthetic reasons? I found a cyclops helpful, but only for a few years. When I was younger I didn’t need one to see the date. When presbyopia first started to affect my eyesight in my mid 40’s a cyclops was helpful. But a few years later it wasn’t quite enough and I got tired of straining my eyes and twisting my wrist to catch the date at the right angle. Nowadays my reading glasses do the job. Of course YMMV.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Very much doubt it. Carrying out modifications can put people off and many like myself hate cyclops and much prefer a clean look without one

·
Registered
716 Posts
This is not the worst looking thing I've ever seen - pic courtesy of Google.

e4bc6afe28dd62d609b24413e231b81e.jpg

·
Registered
20,580 Posts
It could be an interesting and easy mod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts