WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a LOT of watch manufacturers seem to be doing “vintage” or “throwback” watch models - I wonder if Casio will ever make ( or at least something similar to ) the 6600 again ?
I know the 6900 has the same case just a different dial / electronics inside - but it still just isn’t the same.
I love the old layout of the 6600. All the ones on eBay are either WAY over priced, or are for sale from foreign countries with an insane shipping cost ( and not only that, the entire watch isn’t even original anyway )

So - what are the odds Casio will come out with another version of the now world famous 6600 series again ?

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
Since a LOT of watch manufacturers seem to be doing “vintage” or “throwback” watch models - I wonder if Casio will ever make ( or at least something similar to ) the 6600 again ?
I know the 6900 has the same case just a different dial / electronics inside - but it still just isn’t the same.
I love the old layout of the 6600. All the ones on eBay are either WAY over priced, or are for sale from foreign countries with an insane shipping cost ( and not only that, the entire watch isn’t even original anyway )

So - what are the odds Casio will come out with another version of the now world famous 6600 series again ?
I love the 6600, in a way though, I hope this is one that Casio don't revive.

I have around 6 different variations of the 66xx, and I really enjoy finding old ones to bring back to life.

I think it should stay as a vintage model.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
If they decide to bring it back, either as an atomic/solar option or basic option I’d imagine they will “tweak” it just like they did with the dw5900, i.e. add the year option for the date

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
if the square peg in a round hole look was as popular as fans make it out to be, it would still be in production. theres alot of models that they could rebirth before they get to this one but stranger things have happened in the quirky world of casio

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I think they will bring it back. They did bring back the DW-5900 last year. However if we go by that and the AW-500 that is due out soon, it will take a few years for it to come out as Casio is bringing them out on their 30th anniversary

I would love to see a DW-6100 reissue

·
Registered
135 Posts
The true Navy Seal watch should be returned honorably and covertly. It should appear on store shelves at zero dark thirty.:cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually just went ahead and bought a used DW6600. Should be here in a few weeks. They are much more $$$ than they probably were new, but I really wanted one in my collection.

With Casio re-releasing all these older models, I almost guarantee that they will remake the 6600 at some point. I would buy one in a second if they did.

Interestingly enough - on eBay a lot of sellers claim that the band for the Casio dw6600/6900 is genuine Casio, yet the buckle looks to be a black plastic, not a silver metal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey mbnv992

I found this one here in Aussie local market, didn't have the bezel, bands were rubbish and no sound, I fixed it up and fit it with the dw6900 parts from an Israeli eBay seller, yes it came with a black plastic buckle, but i just swapped it with the old steel one ... looks fantastic... i guess i'm a lucky bastard 😁 ... keep looking and you'll find ...

PS , Same ebay seller from Israel had some 6600 for about $200... good luck

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I actually just went ahead and bought a used DW6600. Should be here in a few weeks. They are much more $$$ than they probably were new, but I really wanted one in my collection.

With Casio re-releasing all these older models, I almost guarantee that they will remake the 6600 at some point. I would buy one in a second if they did.

Interestingly enough - on eBay a lot of sellers claim that the band for the Casio dw6600/6900 is genuine Casio, yet the buckle looks to be a black plastic, not a silver metal.
The Casio DW-6900's strap did have a black plastic buckle on it. (at least they did about 13 years ago when i last looked at a DW-6900 up close)

The DW-6600, G-6900 and GW-6900 straps have the metal buckle.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
I used to find these at the Walgreen's (drug store) back in the late 90s for $25 or so behind a plastic case and back then they felt like an indulgence. I still have no idea where mine disappeared to back then but of course if I knew then what I know now I'd have bought the whole case out of them...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Casio DW-6900's strap did have a black plastic buckle on it. (at least they did about 13 years ago when i last looked at a DW-6900 up close)

The DW-6600, G-6900 and GW-6900 straps have the metal buckle.
I’m telling you - you learn something new everyday. I didn’t know this. I just ASSummed all gshocks came with the metal buckle.

There is a few eBay sellers that have the older style 6600 rubber strap with the metal buckle on it - I might order one of them just to give my incoming 6600 a fresh strap. I ordered the watch from that Israeli seller that’s seems to have a good track record on selling g shocks here on the forum. The auction just had a generic picture of the watch, not the actual watch that’s being sent to me, so I have no idea what kind of shape the strap was going to be in.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Odds are slim. If I'm not mistaken, the 6600 lasted for only 1-2 years. I'm quite sure it was replaced by the 6900 after a year or so.

Seeing that the 6900 sold more than the 6600 did, I really doubt they'd bring it back.

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
From what I understand the economy dw6900 comes with the plastic buckle like this one here:

When I was “restoring” my 6600 I bought the bezel/strap kit that came with the plastic buckle. Might only be me but I prefer the plastic over the metal for this watch.

View attachment 15499651
View attachment 15499652
View attachment 15499653
you are def. one of the few, i read so many unfathomed complaints about the plastic buckle but ive never seen a broken one on a 6600 or 6900 and they were the most used in harsh environments!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
From what I understand the economy dw6900 comes with the plastic buckle like this one here:

When I was “restoring” my 6600 I bought the bezel/strap kit that came with the plastic buckle. Might only be me but I prefer the plastic over the metal for this watch.

View attachment 15499651
View attachment 15499652
View attachment 15499653

Yes, the base model (the one you find for under $50 at Walmart) has the plastic buckle. I think the special DW-6900 models (such as limited editions) have a metal buckle but the ones I have seen over the years use a different looking strap then the regular 6900.

I have never heard of anybody having broken that plastic buckle. Years ago I used to see beat to crap DW-6900 in thrift stores and while they would have a broken strap, the broken part was actually the 6 o'clock side. The buckle was intact. My guess is that the buckle is very strong and that the only way you will break it is if you try to break it. other then that, the buckle will outlast the band.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts