WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One of the very popular Casio strap sellers messaged me on eBay because I purchased a new dw6600/6900 bezel / rubber strap combo kit and in the pictures he had a metal buckle. So I just messaged him to make sure I was getting one with the metal buckle.

His response was that his auctions are what’s in the pictures that his strap is indeed the metal buckle version. He also said that a lot of people seem to think that the plastic buckle version ( for the dw6900 ) is not genuine Casio but he says Casio does ship out the plastic buckle as standard on all the DW6900 models ( the GW solar / atomic models get the metal one ).

He says that the plastic buckle is more durable than the metal one because he’s never seen a plastic one break out of all the watch services he’s done. He said he even tried to break one and he simply could not.

Still - I like the look of a metal buckle much more than a plastic one so my mind was already made up haha

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
he says Casio does ship out the plastic buckle as standard on all the DW6900 models ( the GW solar / atomic models get the metal one ).
It depends what DW-6900 model you're talking about. Both my DW-6900LU-8 and DW-6900BB-1 came with a metal buckle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yep so I guess only the “Basic” $48 DW6900 comes with the plastic buckle.

Oh well now to wait for my 6600 ! Wonder how long a shipment from Israel will take to get to the US ? Ebay says arrives by December 5th but I’m hoping it won’t take almost 2 months haha

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Casio does ship out the plastic buckle as standard on all the DW6900 models ( the GW solar / atomic models get the metal one )
way more have the metal than the plastic. i think the only one still in production is the -1v model. heaps of models other than the 6900 are using it now too, much to some ppls chagrin lol if no ones had it break or seen one broken, i have no idea what ppl complain about!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Odds are slim. If I'm not mistaken, the 6600 lasted for only 1-2 years. I'm quite sure it was replaced by the 6900 after a year or so.

Seeing that the 6900 sold more than the 6600 did, I really doubt they'd bring it back.
Well Casio did bring back the DW-5900 a year or so ago and it really was not a huge seller ether when offered in 1989. They are also bringing back the AW-500 which probably was not a huge seller ether. The DW-6600 is a watch that is much loved.

If they bring it back, it better have the red G in the backlight

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Well Casio did bring back the DW-5900 a year or so ago and it really was not a huge seller ether when offered in 1989. They are also bringing back the AW-500 which probably was not a huge seller ether. The DW-6600 is a watch that is much loved.

We never know. It's possible.

I just wish they'd make a Full Metal 6600/6900 already.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
way more have the metal than the plastic. i think the only one still in production is the -1v model. heaps of models other than the 6900 are using it now too, much to some ppls chagrin lol if no ones had it break or seen one broken, i have no idea what ppl complain about!
Some models still have a plastic buckle for some reason. Like GA-400, the new AW-500, GBX-100, and a few 5600 (like the Psychedelic Colors 5610)

·
Registered
7,589 Posts

the 5900 and 500 were and are very popular in asia and id say would have a much bigger fan base than the 6600

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Some models still have a plastic buckle for some reason. Like GA-400, the new AW-500, GBX-100, and a few 5600 (like the Psychedelic Colors 5610)
yes and the ga700 and gbdh and the new grb200 etc etc which is why i said theres heaps still being used. if they work then i dont see why they wouldnt keep using them.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
yes and the ga700 and gbdh and the new grb200 etc etc which is why i said theres heaps still being used. if they work then i dont see why they wouldnt keep using them.
I think it's because people believe steel lasts longer and more durable than hard plastic. It gives confidence to the wearer that it'll last longer. Even watches cheaper than these G-Shocks use stainless steel buckles, so there really is no logical reason for Casio to keep using plastic buckles besides cost-cutting.

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
I think it's because people believe steel lasts longer and more durable than hard plastic. It gives confidence to the wearer that it'll last longer. Even watches cheaper than these G-Shocks use stainless steel buckles, so there really is no logical reason for Casio to keep using plastic buckles besides cost-cutting.
and yet they continue to make buckles, keepers and cases from "plastic" ;)
if it really was a cost saving measure there wouldnt be any metal on any but the most premium models. of course theres logical reasons they would use the hardened resin recipe aka "plastic":
  • colours that arent going to scratch off after a couple wears
  • complex shapes and intricate designs and textures for extra flare like the one used on the grb200 (sure you could mill it out of metal but who would care enough to pay more for that? alternative is to have one of the same ol generic ones thats on every other model)
  • lighter weight - only a couple grams and about as noticeable and beneficial as a Ti caseback but its still done.
  • simply to mix up the look and materials of diff. models
  • final point might be cost but if they were really trying to save money on metal, why sell them in a metal tin? thats easily like 100 buckles right there! lol
just cos theres a common misconception of "metal is better" doesnt mean its right, but it does mean casio will milk those suckers with metal models at premium prices.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just to keep on the 6600 topic, since I’ve started this thread I’ve already purchased two used examples of the 6600.

The first is from an Israeli seller. Picked it up for $99 shipped. This one is the 6600C with the “G” in the background on the display.

The second is a 6600 that was made in Japan “M” factory. This one has no “g” in the background, and has “electro luminescence” instead of “illuminator” on the dial. This one is in mint condition. Picked it up for $149 shipped.

I think I’ll be happy with both models. “Just because” - I also picked up a brand new OEM Casio dw6900/6600 bezel and strap just in case in the future any of these watches need a replacement.

If Casio ever does make this watch again - I will definitely buy that one too !

21 - 33 of 33 Posts