WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Yes, indeed, you're quire right. I was coming at it from the POV of someone who likes divers watches, but has never dived!

I do wonder if the wait will end soon, simply because the whole DSub range has been pulled from Damasko's website recently and I believe are to be replaced fairly soon - releasing a new bracelet at the same time would be quite a coup.
I certainly hope that any bracelet for the Dsub line would be backwards compatible. On the bright side, if it is not I may have to buy another Damasko just so I can get a bracelet for that one. A bit mad but not totally untrue.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do wonder if the wait will end soon, simply because the whole DSub range has been pulled from Damasko's website recently
Looks like they removed most of their models. They only list watches that use their in-house movement and chronographs. I wonder if they are discontinuing everything or just revamping their website and haven't added them back yet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks like they removed most of their models. They only list watches that use their in-house movement and chronographs. I wonder if they are discontinuing everything or just revamping their website and haven't added them back yet.
I'm pretty sure they'll reintroduce one or more dive watches with their in-house movement, same will be true for a more diverse 3-hand range - more dial colours, bezels etc. No way are they going to leave the collection at present levels - it just takes time to re-engineer the various new models.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I'm pretty sure they'll reintroduce one or more dive watches with their in-house movement, same will be true for a more diverse 3-hand range - more dial colours, bezels etc. No way are they going to leave the collection at present levels - it just takes time to re-engineer the various new models.
I agree. I can’t believe they’ll pull that far back and offer only a few, they’ve got to be retooling and designing etc. I can’t wait to see what they come out with, it’s a bummer the price hike that will surely come with the new in house models but I have every reason to believe they will put out some great pieces. If history is a guide as to design, colors etc it should be more of what made them what they are today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree. I can’t believe they’ll pull that far back and offer only a few, they’ve got to be retooling and designing etc. I can’t wait to see what they come out with, it’s a bummer the price hike that will surely come with the new in house models but I have every reason to believe they will put out some great pieces. If history is a guide as to design, colors etc it should be more of what made them what they are today.
I was a little dismayed by the price rises, especially since they are unevenly applied (e.g. the premium for date vs. no-date is disproportionate), but the new movements not only add exclusivity and the cachet of true in-house manufacture, they are also technically better* than what they are replacing, so I'm happy to save for longer to afford them.

(* stronger bridges, stronger steel hand-wining mechanism, ceramic rotor bearings, low maintenance lubricant-free, improved finishing, parts-compatible with ETA)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm pretty sure they'll reintroduce one or more dive watches with their in-house movement
Seems like that's what they're doing based on their teaser they just posted. That appears to be the same case from the DSub2/3 when I compare pics so my guess is it's just an update to those models so that they now use the in-house movement. Which is actually a good thing for us hoping for a bracelet because I don't feel like they'd be likely to produce a bracelet for a completely discontinued model. But if this new diver shares the same case as the DSub2/3 and they make a bracelet for it then it'll fit the old models too. Now hopefully they produce a new DSub1 with the in-house model as well so that I can get a bracelet :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seems like that's what they're doing based on their teaser they just posted. That appears to be the same case from the DSub2/3 when I compare pics so my guess is it's just an update to those models so that they now use the in-house movement. Which is actually a good thing for us hoping for a bracelet because I don't feel like they'd be likely to produce a bracelet for a completely discontinued model. But if this new diver shares the same case as the DSub2/3 and they make a bracelet for it then it'll fit the old models too. Now hopefully they produce a new DSub1 with the in-house model as well so that I can get a bracelet :)
The teaser appears to be of a black Damest-coated DSub, which is an interesting extension of the range if so; in-house movement is a no-brainer, just wonder if they'll be offering less vivid colour combinations as well? A pity in my book, but undoubtedly more commercial.

As for the bracelet - I've somewhat lost track of why this is such an issue? Surely all that's needed is a case-specific end-link so that the existing 22mm bracelet can be used? With the wonders of CAD and multi-axis milling this should be a hilariously-easy thing to do, certainly far easier than developing your own movement...

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,687 Posts
The teaser appears to be of a black Damest-coated DSub, which is an interesting extension of the range if so; in-house movement is a no-brainer, just wonder if they'll be offering less vivid colour combinations as well? A pity in my book, but undoubtedly more commercial.

As for the bracelet - I've somewhat lost track of why this is such an issue? Surely all that's needed is a case-specific end-link so that the existing 22mm bracelet can be used? With the wonders of CAD and multi-axis milling this should be a hilariously-easy thing to do, certainly far easier than developing your own movement...
If I remember correctly there‘s a noticable difference in color, the ice-hardened martensitic steel has a different hue compared to the surface hardened austenitic submarine steel. I remember there has been a discussion thread about the different look but I couldn‘t find it.

·
Registered
210 Posts

As Mike said - I think the regular bracelets are a different color since they're not made of the submarine steel like the DSub cases are? I might be wrong there though. Beyond that, I figured Damasko would try to design a different clasp with wet-suit extension since they're dive watches. The process of designing a new clasp has always been my guess as to what the real hold-up was, but they've never confirmed anything to my knowledge.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I remember correctly there‘s a noticable difference in color, the ice-hardened martensitic steel has a different hue compared to the surface hardened austenitic submarine steel. I remember there has been a discussion thread about the different look but I couldn‘t find it.
Less speculation, more experimentation (i.e. you are right):
Colour and tone, even degree of "polish" is quite different. The fit of the end-links is OK, but by no means perfect - you could wear it securely, but they rattle a little and stand proud, making the bracelet a looser fit than on the otherwise identically-sized lug-to-lug DC80. Looks nice though, doesn't it!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Those end links fit better than I expected! Come on, Damasko... I've been wearing my Pelagos way more than my DSub1 because I prefer bracelets over straps. Please make a bracelet so that I opt for the DSub1 more often :)

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Less speculation, more experimentation (i.e. you are right):
Colour and tone, even degree of "polish" is quite different. The fit of the end-links is OK, but by no means perfect - you could wear it securely, but they rattle a little and stand proud, making the bracelet a looser fit than on the otherwise identically-sized lug-to-lug DC80. Looks nice though, doesn't it!
What bracelet is this in the pic? 22mm width Ice Hardened? If not can you say what it is? Thanks.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts