WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...always display that wobbling or whirring characteristic? Also, how is this wobble brought about, do you have to shake the watch, does it occur during normal wear, does it only occur at certain levels of winding or power reserve?

Thanks...

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I've had several 7750's and I never felt/noticed that.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I think it might depend on how chunky/thick the case of the watch is. I had a Hamilton Aviation Chrono which houses a Val. 7753 and at times I could feel the rotor moving while wearing the watch. I kind of liked it though. :-d

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
...always display that wobbling or whirring characteristic? Also, how is this wobble brought about, do you have to shake the watch, does it occur during normal wear, does it only occur at certain levels of winding or power reserve?

Thanks...
7750 has single directional winding mechanism.

Which means, it will wind the watch in only 1 direction.

However, weight will rotate in both directions. Since winding mechanism does NOT engage in one of the directions, depending on your wrist movement, a quick jerk may cause the winding rotor to go into free spin (in non-winding direction) causing the whole watch to wobble due to the fact that it swings VERY quickly.

This will be felt mostly on lighter, less bulkier watches.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had several 7750's and I never felt/noticed that.
Well, how many is several? And you never felt any vibration from the movement; you have heard of this characteristic, though, haven't you? :think:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7750 has single directional winding mechanism.

Which means, it will wind the watch in only 1 direction.

However, weight will rotate in both directions. Since winding mechanism does NOT engage in one of the directions, depending on your wrist movement, a quick jerk may cause the winding rotor to go into free spin (in non-winding direction) causing the whole watch to wobble due to the fact that it swings VERY quickly.

This will be felt mostly on lighter, less bulkier watches.
Yes, this is what I had read. So you are saying it will be inherent to all watches housing a 7750, but you would feel it more on a less bulky watch, correct?

Is there any other type of movement, that will display these vibration characteristics, other than the free spin of a tumbler in a uni-directional winding mechanism? I ask because I remember holding a watch, but I can't remember the make or model, and I remember holding it in my palm and it started to vibrate in my hand and I thought it was the coolest thing ever, but I don't recall shaking it vigorously to achieve this result.

Thx for your input.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Is there any other type of movement, that will display these vibration characteristics, other than the free spin of a tumbler in a uni-directional winding mechanism? I ask because I remember holding a watch, but I can't remember the make or model, and I remember holding it in my palm and it started to vibrate in my hand and I thought it was the coolest thing ever, but I don't recall shaking it vigorously to achieve this result.
The ETA 2000-1, 2004-1 and, I assume, the 2094 do this, but as they are 10.5''' movements, the effect is very slight.

The Miyota 8205/15, although unidirectional winding, do not exhibit this phenomenon because there is too much drag on the rotor from the reverse pawl to allow the rotor to get spinning fast.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Which direction winds the 7750 & the Miyota 8215? Clockwise or counter?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bulk of watch doesn't seem to matter. My Trieste is quite bulky, and sometimes that thing comes alive on my wrist when the rotor is spinning. It's funny what will set it off. Violent motions can have no effect, while setting down a cup of coffee can sometimes get is spinning like mad. Or vice versa.

Either way, it's kinda reassuring. . . it's a reminder that it's a mechanical timepiece wound by movement. I definitely like the feeling. :-!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bulk of watch doesn't seem to matter. My Trieste is quite bulky, and sometimes that thing comes alive on my wrist when the rotor is spinning. It's funny what will set it off. Violent motions can have no effect, while setting down a cup of coffee can sometimes get is spinning like mad. Or vice versa.

Either way, it's kinda reassuring. . . it's a reminder that it's a mechanical timepiece wound by movement. I definitely like the feeling. :-!
That's good to know, I have my first 7750 powered timepiece coming in and it may seem silly but I can't wait to experience this rumbling on my wrist! Cheers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe its there but I really haven't noticed it and I own 5 7750 chronos.
Well, that's not encouraging! Five different 7750s and you haven't felt this once?! :think:

This would bring us back to the beginning, is it all of them or do some manufacturers modify something to prevent the rotor from gaining too much momentum in the non winding direction?

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I doubt that any of the watch brands that use the 7750 make any kind of design modifications with the exception of IWC (and perhaps some other high-end brands and independents dependent on ETA ebauches). It's pretty much present in every single 7750 I've seen - from a humble Revue Thommen to a slightly more pricey Baume et Mercier (my dad used to collect watches and I have a few, myself ... must have come across more than 10 watches with that movement). Nothing wrong with it, infact, can seem a bit reassuring at times that the rotor is actually rotating :-d

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I doubt that any of the watch brands that use the 7750 make any kind of design modifications with the exception of IWC (and perhaps some other high-end brands and independents dependent on ETA ebauches). It's pretty much present in every single 7750 I've seen - from a humble Revue Thommen to a slightly more pricey Baume et Mercier (my dad used to collect watches and I have a few, myself ... must have come across more than 10 watches with that movement). Nothing wrong with it, infact, can seem a bit reassuring at times that the rotor is actually rotating :-d

Woohooo! We're back on! :-!

...until the next guy, well I have twenty 7750s and I haven't heard a peep out of any of them! :-d

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've got an Omega that uses a modified (they say it, I don't know how much they modified it, probably not too much) 7750

• yes, it wobbles a lot
  • yes, I can most definitely feel it, even when I'm SQL Server diving at work with my hands on the desk
  • yes, it's quite loud when the rotor enters in a free spin state, I can hear it in a quiet room from about 30 centimeters
  • yes, I love every aspect of it and it's nice to know just how much it winds after a good yank lol
Any other questions?:-!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There are vintage alarm pocket watches that quietly vibrate. Maybe the wristwatch you held was similar & the alarm just happened to go off.
I have a Hamilton khaki Chronograph that I have noticed wobble a couple times. Compared to an Asian clone that did it regularly & with more force. When the Hamilton does it is is quite subtle.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Every 7750 I have wobbles , I like that it does too, I know it's winding up.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts