Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 287 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
slide-1-638.jpg
You all know RGM, maybe even read about Shinola in Detroit, but neither of these and other US based watch brands are regarded as 100% US made. Wouldn't that be a cool idea, to have USA Made instead of Swiss Made on the dial one day? I know there are some US citizens caring for the idea, and I quote:

I agree anything made in the states would get my first look
I'm certainly in favor of any company bringing watch(or any other) manufacturing back stateside
So here is HAGER, a brand that has already been discussed in our Watchuseek community, stepping up to take the challenge. And they need you to succeed.

HAGER started a crowd-funding campaign only recently at www.crowdfunder.com, and they would be happy to get you something in return for your support. Here's the official press release with an exclusive offer for all Watchuseek members:

On 26 December 2012, Hager Watches (pronounced Hah-Ger) launched its Made in America campaign in collaboration with Crowdfunder in an effort to promote the release of their new line of 42mm made watches with ceramic engraved bezels, Diamond Like Carbon coating and customized movements. Hager is a little watch company with big ambitions. Their goal is to raise enough money through Crowdfunder to become a real horological manufacture with their own in-house watches and movements in the United States.

Crowdfunder is a social network and business crowdfunding platform for entrepreneurs and investors to connect, crowdfund and grow. The company puts growth and fundraising tools in the hands of business owners and investors at all stages in the life cycle of a business. Startups and small businesses on Crowdfunder can raise funds through contribution-based crowdfunding, and soon through debt and equity-based crowdfunding. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA.

We are proud to announce that in support of Hager Watches initiatives we are able to offer exclusive Watchuseek 42mm models limited to 25 pieces to all our worldwide members and visitors!

We are happy to propose the following to all our members:

Hager Watches 42mm Swiss Made line (The Professional, the Traveler GMT and the Skymaster Chronograph) exclusive for Watchuseek:

• Custom Watchuseek logo on the dial
  • Special engraved Watchuseek caseback
  • Bracelet and rubber strap with removal tool
  • Custom Hager watch box
And here are the models available:

50d3daa48edc8.jpg
THE PROFESSIONAL
Specifications:
Diameter: 42mm
Height:14.5mm
Length: 50.5mm lug to lug
Lug width: 22mm
Case: Stainless Steel
Movement: Caliber HR 24 Swiss Made automatic finished in black ruthenium.
Crystal: Sapphire Crystal
Lume: Blue Super-Luminova
WR: 200m/660ft

50ddd3e0a6dc6.jpg
THE PROFESSIONAL STEALTH
Specifications:
Case: Stainless Steel DLC coated
Movement: Caliber HR 24 Swiss Made automatic finished in black ruthenium.

50ddd4069801f.jpg
THE GMT TRAVELER
Specifications:
Case: Stainless Steel
Bezel: Ceramic
Movement: Caliber HR 28 Swiss Made automatic finished in black ruthenium.

50ddd42109b36.jpg
THE GMT TRAVELER STEALTH
Specifications:
Case: Stainless Steel DLC coated
Movement: Caliber HR 28 Swiss Made automatic finished in black ruthenium.

50ddd5541716a.jpg
THE SKYMASTER CHRONOGRAPH
Specifications:
Case: Stainless Steel or DLC coated
Movement: (Valjoux) Modified ETA 7750

Hager’s new models can now be ordered online by Watchuseek enthusiasts worldwide!
Payment by Amazon Payments. Accepted cards include:
• Visa (including the Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card)
• MasterCard/EuroCard
• Discover Network
• American Express
• Diner's Club (U.S. billing addresses only)
• JCB
• NYCE
• STAR
• Visa, MasterCard, or American Express pre-paid credit or gift cards
• Amazon Store Card

Shipment by FedEx from HAGER.

Please proceed to www.Crowdfunder.com to order.
IMPORTANT: once you have ordered please make sure to reply to this thread to let us know that you’ve completed your purchase.

[SUP]*[/SUP]Please note some countries may incur import duties that should be paid locally when watch arrives. Please check your local Customs Regulations.

www.HagerWatches.com

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
Interesting. You probably should make this a sticky. Otherwise this forum will quickly swallow it :-d

It is not clear to me how this works. You can buy a watch in their Swiss Collection (that they already make) via crowdfunder and they will do a WUS dial and caseback for the first 25 buyers who post information on the purchase here in this thread?

·
Registered
200 Posts
This sounds cool, but doesn't RGM already have an American made watch? I thought their 801 movements were done in-house, and housed in American-made cases.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Your thread title is a little misleading. There were once tons of American watch manufacturers, so Hager can't possibly become the first American watch manufacturer. But will they become the new American watch manufacturer and revive the industry here? I don't know...but the models pictured in your thread look pretty interesting. I like the sizes, and it's nice that they are using ETA movements. If they make it and introduce a more dressy watch, I would consider purchasing one from them (as long as Made in USA is written on the bottom of the dial)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Many thanks to Watchuseek and Mr. Romers for supporting us. Just to clear up some misconceptions but to be truly an all American watch 100 percent of the parts to include movement, case etc have to be made in America and 2. When we talk about manufacturing we mean mass manufacturing on the likes of Rolex where they produce approximately 600,000 watches a year. Most boutique brands make less than 1000 watches a year. We are already a boutique brand but we want to be bigger. Currently there are no American Made luxury watch manufacturers. Now's the time to step up and support a great cause. Compare our watches to others offering similar attributes and I think you'll agree you're getting way more. Wish I could write more but currently down in front of the old Hamilton factory in Lancaster filming. Best regards and thanks again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Many thanks to Watchuseek and Mr. Romers for supporting us. Just to clear up some misconceptions but to be truly an all American watch 100 percent of the parts to include movement, case etc have to be made in America and 2. When we talk about manufacturing we mean mass manufacturing on the likes of Rolex where they produce approximately 600,000 watches a year. Most boutique brands make less than 1000 watches a year. We are already a boutique brand but we want to be bigger. Currently there are no American Made luxury watch manufacturers. Now's the time to step up and support a great cause. Compare our watches to others offering similar attributes and I think you'll agree you're getting way more. Wish I could write more but currently down in front of the old Hamilton factory in Lancaster filming. Best regards and thanks again.
Just to be clear: Your watches look nice, and the price seems reasonable.

The only thing I was questioning was RGM not being "100% American made." According to their website, both the case and movement are made in America. Are you saying RGM watches are not American, or that they don't count because they are a botique?

I probably sound like a RGM cheerleader, but I have no connection with them, and don't own any of their watches. I've just been following them because I'd love to buy an American made watch. Currently, they seem like the only (mechanical) option, but they're out of my price range. I'd definitely be interested in an American made Hager (or any other brand), if they were well made, but 2-3x lower than RGM.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
The title is indeed... but i would assume that as typo error...
Personally i think that a re-edit on the title will be more appropriate... like...
"Will HAGER succeed in becoming AMERICA's first budget friendly watch manufacturer ?"

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,052 Posts
Will Hager succeed in becoming the first american watch maker? Well, several other large companies were in production and successful from the 19th century forward to the 20th century. So several other watch makers succeeded for decades in the business well before Hager. I have no idea who the first american watch maker was but it was likely a small shop on the east coast in the 18th century.

Maybe you mean Hager is the first american watchmaker to open and succeed in the 21st century????

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just to be clear: Your watches look nice, and the price seems reasonable.

The only thing I was questioning was RGM not being "100% American made." According to their website, both the case and movement are made in America. Are you saying RGM watches are not American, or that they don't count because they are a botique?

I probably sound like a RGM cheerleader, but I have no connection with them, and don't own any of their watches. I've just been following them because I'd love to buy an American made watch. Currently, they seem like the only (mechanical) option, but they're out of my price range. I'd definitely be interested in an American made Hager (or any other brand), if they were well made, but 2-3x lower than RGM.
Not at all. Roland's movements are made in the US and I would encourage anyone to research the struggles that he went through to even make the 801. Especially trying to get the equipment when the deck was stacked against him. Btw I am a Roland fan and he knows it; he'll alsobe the first to tell you that he has no interest in mass producing watches or movements as he likes to do things the old fashion way and I respect that as im treading in his footsteps. If you haven't taken a look at my pitchdeck on crowdfunder please do so because I believe it will be an eye opener. All the research and the numbers came from the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry, IW, Watch Time, the Wall Street Journal HH Journal and several other watch industry repots. Thanks again for the support and best regards. Please look for our video next week also.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
In the specs, it says the movement are Swiss made. Typo?
p

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Sorry, but without some serious funding ( talking many millions over many years) you will not be able to to manufacture as many units per year as Rolex does, and selling them
. Even with the funding, it is hardly possible. You have no history, no public brand name and recognition.

Anyway, my best wishes if you succeeding!

Reactions: TK-421

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Sorry, but without some serious funding ( talking many millions over many years) you will not be able to to manufacture as many units per year as Rolex does, and selling them
. Even with the funding, it is hardly possible. You have no history, no public brand name and recognition.

Anyway, my best wishes if you succeeding!
Well... one hard truth of the business world had pointed out...
Even if you can manage to get the funds, technical know how employees are important to make your company grow. Although different from what you do... i would like to point out STEINHART, who takes some time to get world-wide recognition... though @ current stage some folks are still having negative impressions on their Submariner homage produce.

So... it kind of a rough journey to success, not only it takes time, but the recognition from the timepiece collectors world is essential. Not to forget... pricing also plays a part...

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Peter, your watches look nice. If you are able to develop an in-house movement, I think you could achieve your goal. You have a lot of work ahead of you and I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm very tempted to throw in some money for one of these. I already have a couple 42mm divers, but those look pretty nice for the price, when you include the idea of funding an US-made watch in the future.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just signed up for the commando package. Great deal for a great cause. I hope this happens.
Thanks so much every bit helps. We hope this happens too:). While we realize its going to take more than $134k to fully realize the dream, by reaching the $134k we are showing investors (social proof concept) that are waiting for the SEC rules to regulate crowd funding that a venture such as watch manufacturing in the U.S. is worthy. Can you imagine if America started selling automatic movements to compete with the Swiss, the Germans and the Chinese? But we have to show investors that we can have a viable concept that people are willing to back. Here's a link for more info on Crowdfunding. Thanks again. Pete

1 - 20 of 287 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.