WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm very interested in getting a Rolex Sub 116610LV (Hulk) but unfortunately have not been able to get to the AD (or any store) to try one on given current times. I know the obvious answer is to wait until I can do that, but I am considering buying from a place that allows free returns. As I don't WANT to exercise the return policy, I'm trying to solicit opinions/experience to make as informed a decision as possible, while having the safety net of the return in case the watch really doesn't fit.

As such, curious if anyone can share their experience on this model on a ~6.5", flat wrist. I have attached pictures with my Speedy Pro, which I believe to be jusssssstttt about as big as I would go.

I am soliciting two types of responses here:

- People who have similar stats and either own or have tried on the watch, and their opinion (as I'm well aware that fit is very much opinion)
- More broad opinion about this watch on smaller wrists, whether it is yours personally or just seeing it in the wild

Thoughts are appreciated, thanks for helping me realize a life goal in these crazy times!

Speedy_1.jpg Speedy_2.jpg

·
Registered
196 Posts
I`m wearing the sizes from 33mm to 42mm (well, not your specified model. One day I hope), so there is no too big or too small in my opinion. But I do prefer the 34-37mm models. Go with what feels best on the wrist.. especially if you`re going to wear it daily.

·
Premium Member
11,978 Posts
I too have a rather flat wrist that measures just under 7” at my wrist bones but 6.5” where I wear my watches.

Picture of my 40mm Air-King I’m wearing today.

Older picture of my 116600 SD4K.

Much older picture of my wearing a 114060 SubC before I sold it to a friend. Case and bracelet dimensions are identical to that of the Hulk.

My answer to your question is I see no reason why you should have a problem wearing a 116610LV Hulk.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a 6.5 inch wrist and I’m sure everybody will disagree and chime in with their own opinion but I find the SubC to be hands down the most uncomfortable and unbalanced watch I’ve ever owned or tried on. Everything about the finishing and quality is fantastic but stupidly convex caseback is such a poor oversight in my opinion. The entire weight of the watch is focused onto the tiny diameter of surface area of the caseback making the watch float on your wrist and feel wobbly and unbalanced after a few hours of wear. Not to mention the glidelock simply looks dumb on smaller wrists.

The sub was my grail for the longest time so you can imagine my disappointment, I did hours and hours of research and found that I’m definitely not the only one with this complaint (and found even more people complaining about the casebacks on the SDs). I previously had an Explorer 1 and the caseback on that watch isn’t taller or bigger but the part that touches the back of your wrist is wider which disperses the weight of the watch more evenly. My PO which weighs almost 50g more than the sub and has a wider caseback is INFINITELY more balanced and comfortable than the sub.

The best way I can describe the feeling is this this building I drive by everyday on my way to work.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a 14060M and I've worn a friend's 114060 which is the same case you're looking at. My wrist is about 7" and pretty flat.

I bought the 14060M because I prefer the more classic slimmer case size and lighter weight, but the 114060 fit me fine. The lug-to-lug and bezel diameter didn't change with the new-gen cases.

Net/net I think you'd be alright with it, the size hasn't changed much in half a century for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You will need to try it on (or any of the six digit subs), but the numbers do not lie. Omega Speedy Pro lug to lug height = 47mm. Rolex Sub Ceramic series (Hulk included) lug to lug height = 50.54mm.

·
Registered
29,448 Posts
You will need to try it on (or any of the six digit subs), but the numbers do not lie. Omega Speedy Pro lug to lug height = 47mm. Rolex Sub Ceramic series (Hulk included) lug to lug height = 50.54mm.
This! It's the lug to lug length that matters more about how a watch will wear than it's diameter

·
Registered
29,448 Posts
Here’s a pic of mine on my 6.4” wrist if it helps

Personally I think it’s a perfect fit. Just remember that close up pics of watches on wrists (like the ones below) make them look bigger than what they actually are. In all the pics below the watches appear to ‘hang’ from The top of my wrist. It doesn’t in real life though.

And for comparisons sake this is how my Speedie wears

Brother of OoO

·
Registered
29,448 Posts
One more perspective photo of the watch (NB looking at the perspective of the pic, my wrist is turned so the watch wears smaller than it looks in this pic).

Brother of OoO

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I would say you need to try one on before pulling the trigger. Measurements are only part of the story. The angle and size of the lugs always comes into play, as does wrist shape ie rounder/flatter etc. Ive owned many sizes up to 45mm and they can all look completely different when you get them on. I almost bought one of the newer subs a few years ago and im glad I tried it on. Didnt like it at all. It looked and felt weird on my wrist (not the only one judging by a previous comment in this thread). For me, the lugs make the watch look larger than it actually is, maybe my wrists are rounder than the norm. I also wanted the omega 300MC which, I think is a 41mm and it looked like a dinner plate on my wrist as the lugs are very long and straight. I have an explorer II which is technically larger than the sub but it wears smaller on my wrist. Maybe im obsessed with lugs, who knows. Its going to be an extra hump trying one on but it will be worth it in the end if you find you cant take to it. Best of luck

·
Premium Member
6,613 Posts
I have a 6.5 inch wrist and I’m sure everybody will disagree and chime in with their own opinion but I find the SubC to be hands down the most uncomfortable and unbalanced watch I’ve ever owned or tried on. Everything about the finishing and quality is fantastic but stupidly convex caseback is such a poor oversight in my opinion. The entire weight of the watch is focused onto the tiny diameter of surface area of the caseback making the watch float on your wrist and feel wobbly and unbalanced after a few hours of wear. Not to mention the glidelock simply looks dumb on smaller wrists.

The sub was my grail for the longest time so you can imagine my disappointment, I did hours and hours of research and found that I’m definitely not the only one with this complaint (and found even more people complaining about the casebacks on the SDs). I previously had an Explorer 1 and the caseback on that watch isn’t taller or bigger but the part that touches the back of your wrist is wider which disperses the weight of the watch more evenly. My PO which weighs almost 50g more than the sub and has a wider caseback is INFINITELY more balanced and comfortable than the sub.

The best way I can describe the feeling is this this building I drive by everyday on my way to work.
Are you sure you are not subliminally influenced by this building? just kidding... it's very hard to give an opinion about the comfort of a watch as wrists, even with the same circomferences, have different shapes. Also, people wear their watches differently, on the wrist bone, above, below, tight, loose... too many variables

·
Premium Member
11,978 Posts
I would say you need to try one on before pulling the trigger. Measurements are only part of the story. The angle and size of the lugs always comes into play, as does wrist shape ie rounder/flatter etc. Ive owned many sizes up to 45mm and they can all look completely different when you get them on. I almost bought one of the newer subs a few years ago and im glad I tried it on. Didnt like it at all. It looked and felt weird on my wrist (not the only one judging by a previous comment in this thread). For me, the lugs make the watch look larger than it actually is, maybe my wrists are rounder than the norm. I also wanted the omega 300MC which, I think is a 41mm and it looked like a dinner plate on my wrist as the lugs are very long and straight. I have an explorer II which is technically larger than the sub but it wears smaller on my wrist. Maybe im obsessed with lugs, who knows. Its going to be an extra hump trying one on but it will be worth it in the end if you find you cant take to it. Best of luck
^^^^^ The above analysis is likely the best I've seen thus far along with what @Panerol Forte had to say. I do think it's important, if feasible, to try something on at an AD prior to deciding how to proceed. No doubt the length and configuration of the lugs are important factors but also configuration of one's wrist as well as how and where the watch is worn on the wrist. I will say I have never felt the need to ask WUS members whether or not a specific watch was right for my wrist but have instinctively known the answer after trying on without asking others.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a 6.5" flat arm bone and my 16613 and 14060M Submariners fit me just fine.

In fact, I also have a Sky-Dweller, which is 50mm lug-to-lug across the long distance of the watch. This size fits me "OK" but is really the largest watch that I can wear.

So . . . . go from there. Trying one on is the only real answer, as has been pointed out.

:)

·
Registered
670 Posts
6.5" with a Submariner Date Ceramic (40") on a flat surfaced wrist:

20200416_130718_1587057666500.jpg

It fits perfectly. Love this watch.

·
Registered
11,524 Posts
Exactly this. I too wanted a Seamaster 300 MC which in theory should've fitted, but it wore terribly. I had a 114060 and it wore OK, but not like how my 14060m does. As you have a free return you have nothing to lose by ordering it and trying it out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your wrist is bigger than mine, and I personally have owned and worn as a daily the submariner and the gmt.

It will be completely fine for you to purchase the submariner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts