WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking, how cool would it be if Seiko, made a tourbillon with a spring drive movement?

If that were possible.

·
Registered
778 Posts
But what's the point of a mechanical tourbillon, or even a double tourbillon, if it doesn't provide any benefit? Simply put, it looks nice and it's fun to watch ;-).

I don't think it would be possible due to electronics, but besides that, what's the point since there is no positional variance?

you need to reread it one more time ;-)

·
Registered
496 Posts
But what's the point of a mechanical tourbillon, or even a double tourbillon, if it doesn't provide any benefit? Simply put, it looks nice and it's fun to watch ;-).
The originals were for reducing positional variances- the seiko spring drive quartz nanny takes care of that.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Actually, I'm not sure it would be possible...whereas a traditional escapement moves in a back and forth manner, the Spring Drive glide wheel moves in one direction only and does so pretty fast. Have you ever had a bike wheel in your hand and spun it and then tried to rotate it? It takes a tremendous amount of energy. To rotate the glide wheel in a similar way may require more energy than the spring is capable of providing. I suppose you could rotate the wheel in the same direction as it was spinning, but it would be a pointless excercise.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I was just thinking, how cool would it be if Seiko, made a tourbillon with a spring drive movement?

If that were possible.
The tourbillon would make no sense since there is no positional difference in a quartz. It is also a mechanical-watch complication that can be had now under 1000 US$ at a pretty decent quality.

However Seiko does the spectacular Credor Sonnerie (which IMHO is probably a little above a tourbillon in overall difficulty) and I would expect to also try a mechanical perpetual calendar or directly a grand complication - which both would make a lot more sense than a tourbillon. However if you check the price on the Credor Sonnerie you will see that such models are not priced in the Seiko normal range :-d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts