WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Will we see children wearing non-smart watches?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As we all know, the popularity of watches has fallen drastically in the young population (under age 20) and I was wondering whether you think smart watches might help lead to a resurgence in the popularity of automatic/quartz watches.

Yes, I know, automatic/quartz watches and smart watches are not anywhere near the same thing, but they are still both watches and as such, I think the popularity of one will affect the other:rodekaart

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,131 Posts
As we all know, the popularity of watches has fallen drastically in the young population (under age 20) and I was wondering whether you think smart watches might help lead to a resurgence in the popularity of automatic/quartz watches. Yes, I know, automatic/quartz watches and smart watches are not anywhere near the same thing, but they are still both watches and as such, I think the popularity of one will affect the other:rodekaart
The "watch" in "smart watch" indicates the location on the wrist rather
than the primary function of the device. In other words the time display
is only an app on a wrist phone or "smart watch".

In my opinion without that functionality an old fashioned wrist watch
will not be a reasonable substitute for the wrist phone or smart watch.
It is difficult to predict what will become popular among teenagers,
though money has always been fashionable.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
120 Posts
As we all know, the popularity of watches has fallen drastically in the young population (under age 20) and I was wondering whether you think smart watches might help lead to a resurgence in the popularity of automatic/quartz watches.

Yes, I know, automatic/quartz watches and smart watches are not anywhere near the same thing, but they are still both watches and as such, I think the popularity of one will affect the other:rodekaart
Got any numbers to back this up? Because I'm seeing more and more younguns walking around with a watch. Many of those are oversized fashion watches but they are still watches.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Main reason for many youngsters to wear smart watches is that they come from Apple or Samsung. I doubt they will wear watches that don't have that bitten apple logo on them and don't pair to their phones.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,843 Posts
If smartwatch users get tired of charging them, but also get accustomed to having the time on their wrist, then yes, younger people will start to want regular watches more.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i think it'll generate a bit more interest in people trying to see what others have on the wrist. i dont think apple is targeting people who already wear watches (at least not true luxury watches). more likely that someone will go from no watch, or giving up their g shock for an apple watch, than someone wearing ALS...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think Rolex is cool, that's why I buy and wear them.. Hey if Apple watch is cooler, why not? Just IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Main reason for many youngsters to wear smart watches is that they come from Apple or Samsung. I doubt they will wear watches that don't have that bitten apple logo on them and don't pair to their phones.
Youngsters, under 40, already know about (real automatics/quarts etc) watches and have decided on "no thanks, I'll use my phone." One of our new managers, in her 20's, is sporting the Samsung Gear Watch thing on her wrist - it's huge. I have the smaller (no phone) Samsung Gear Fit version on my right wrist. I asked her if so uses it with her Samsung phone. She said yes and has quit carrying her phone around because she dropped it out of her pockets to much. 99.9% of the females at my work (in a wharehouse) carry a phone in their back pockets. She likes being able to make quick calls from her wrist without needing her phone. Why she might come over to the dark side of real watches is beyond me.
Philip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts