WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Aquaracer 500 Calibre 5 and I'm curious if shooting skeet or sporting clays could hurt my watch. Folks at the local jeweler say no, but I'd like your thoughts of first hand experiences. I've heard that playing golf can be bad for some autos since you go from stop to full swing over and over.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Don't see how shooting would hurt it. Maybe if you hit it? I have a collection of some very "inexpensive" autos that have been shooting many times. The big Maggie handguns and rifles haven't affected them one bit. I should think Tag/Heuer's movement is better than most anything I've got.

Josh

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a Chinese Panny Kampschwimmer homage that HAD a domed plexiglass crystal, until I went to a shooting range in Las Vegas and fired an H&K MP5 submachine gun, a semi-auto-only AK-47, and a semi-auto pistol. After I departed, I looked at my watch and noted that it looked very clear and sharp. Of course it was! The crystal had popped out at the range! I now have a new, slightly domed, mineral crystal.

I'd be far less concerned about your Aquaracer. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I try to avoid as much shock as I can with my automatic. This includes, golf, nail hammering, shaking carpets and hoeing a garden. I don't think some of these hurt the movement but it might affect accuracy that day and going forward.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I would be more worried about scratching the watch or getting gunpowder residue on the watch than the recoil of the 12 gauge.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
um...I wouldn't take it off for a day at the range/backwood, I wore mine to play badminton(fastest racket sport), riding roadbike(no shock absorber, full power transfer stiffness frame), racing at the track(hpde, autocross) and of course shooting at the range.

modern automatic/mechanical more robust than most people think.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Unless you shoot the watch, I think it should be fine.

Consider that many military personnel wear a Marathon that probably has a pretty similar movement to yours. My only worry would be banging it on something if you took it to an indoor range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts