WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flipping through the paper I came across this decently written Wall Street Journal article.

I don't plan on buying an Apple watch, but find the prospect of spending $17k on a gold disposable piece of tech an unusual thing.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The idea of having to charge the watch everyday turned me off. And the Bluetooth will drain the battery of my iPhone also. I don't need a watch to stealthily check my messages and emails during the meeting.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The idea of having to charge the watch everyday turned me off. And the Bluetooth will drain the battery of my iPhone also. I don't need a watch to stealthily check my messages and emails during the meeting.
Speaking of stealthily checking messages, my experience in meetings is that people seem to be easy going if you're answering emails on a tablet or laptop, but they get upset if you do the exact same thing on a phone. I wonder if that would be better or worse on a watch..

Maybe my experience is not normal, but I have noticed it in a bunch of different meetings with completely different people.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Speaking of stealthily checking messages, my experience in meetings is that people seem to be easy going if you're answering emails on a tablet or laptop, but they get upset if you do the exact same thing on a phone. I wonder if that would be better or worse on a watch..

Maybe my experience is not normal, but I have noticed it in a bunch of different meetings with completely different people.
Personally, when I'm talking to someone and he looks at his phone, I want to stand up, say "all right, I'm done" and just leave. I'm old school and find it rude no matter the intention. Looking at your watch in a meeting is a worse no-no. It invites speculation that you're bored, this meeting has gone on too long, you have somewhere more important to be, you're not listening, etc. Then you explain you're checking your email? A no go where I hang out.

Reactions: headless

·
Registered
14,849 Posts
Yep, there's more of them than us. And eclipse doesn't mean mechanical/quartz watches will disappear, at least not anytime soon I'm thinking . . .

Reactions: headless

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is groundhog's day... been here, discussed that. I think we said no, it won't replace. It's a different animal and is for a different market, different user. One thing that struck me while skimming this article made me wonder, will people REALLY spend $15K+ for a case for an Apple watch? The guts of the Apple watch will be outdated in months, so do you get a replacement to put inside the expensive gold case every year or so? Makes no sense. Your actual gold classic/traditional watch won't be obsolete. Ever. I wondered if this is hype, if Apple was behind that article attempting to make impressionable young people who don't know any better think it's a good idea to spend that kind of money on a smart watchcase. You can get the same actual Apple watch for $349.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yes it will. The mobile market is huge. One day there will be smart watch that is genuinely useful and enough people will buy smart watches as a total and it's market will Swiss watches.

And there will still be people like me wearing mechanical watches.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts