WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s sort of all in the title. I love my SM300, but I always felt like the one thing that was holding it back was the bracelet. Just not enough taper and I‘ve never been a fan of the polished center links. But it looks like the new bracelet is supposed to taper from 21 to 16mm, which is just about perfect to me. If it’ll fit, I think I’ve got to bite the bullet and buy one from an AD.

Does anyone know? Are the new Seamaster 300s even in circulation yet?

Here’s a photo as a thanks for checking this thread out:

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I think the bracelet is different in the new model. Complete guesswork on my account but I would say there's a chance it won't. Ive always liked this watch but the current (older gen) just doesn't fit me. When I spoke to my AD he seemed to think the new version might be a better fit for me due to the redesigned bracelet end links. They dont have stocks yet but im curious to see the new lineup.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the bracelet is different in the new model. Complete guesswork on my account but I would say there's a chance it won't. Ive always liked this watch but the current (older gen) just doesn't fit me. When I spoke to my AD he seemed to think the new version might be a better fit for me due to the redesigned bracelet end links. They dont have stocks yet but im curious to see the new lineup.
I was reading the Hodinkee article on it (skimmed it, really) and the guy said it wears larger than the old model, which I assume comes down to the new bracelet design (the 114060 Submariner is a perfect example of a watch with a well proportioned bracelet and fast taper that accentuates the watch head and makes it wear bigger, I assume this is a similar situation), We’ll have to see when people start getting their hands on them, I guess.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I was reading the Hodinkee article on it (skimmed it, really) and the guy said it wears larger than the old model, which I assume comes down to the new bracelet design (the 114060 Submariner is a perfect example of a watch with a well proportioned bracelet and fast taper that accentuates the watch head and makes it wear bigger, I assume this is a similar situation), We’ll have to see when people start getting their hands on them, I guess.
LARGER than the old model? I was told the opposite. Despite it being a 41mm case (I think) it looked ridiculous on my wrist as the long straight lugs made the watch overhang my wrist. I thought the newer version had end links that made the bracelet slope off the lugs easier. Maybe I misunderstood my AD. I love the 300MC and tried many on over the years so I was hoping this new one might be a good fit.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There is more dial and thinner bezel insert so the watch head will present larger compared to the previous generation. The new bracelet will hug the wrist better.

Good info there, also see my post #367

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LARGER than the old model? I was told the opposite. Despite it being a 41mm case (I think) it looked ridiculous on my wrist as the long straight lugs made the watch overhang my wrist. I thought the newer version had end links that made the bracelet slope off the lugs easier. Maybe I misunderstood my AD. I love the 300MC and tried many on over the years so I was hoping this new one might be a good fit.
Here’s the article and the quote:

”On the wrist, despite being listed at the same 41mm size as its predecessor, the new 300 feels like a 42 (or even a 43). The sapphire caseback adds considerable thickness to the underside resulting in pretty tall gaps between the case and the wrist on the lug ends...”

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is more dial and thinner bezel insert so the watch head will present larger compared to the previous generation. The new bracelet will hug the wrist better.

Good info there, also see my post #367
That makes sense. Any idea on whether the bracelet will fit the old model?

·
Registered
329 Posts
According to another member in the linked thread, no.

The WatchAdvisor video on this piece shows the end link difference in the two generations.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Here’s the article and the quote:

”On the wrist, despite being listed at the same 41mm size as its predecessor, the new 300 feels like a 42 (or even a 43). The sapphire caseback adds considerable thickness to the underside resulting in pretty tall gaps between the case and the wrist on the lug ends...”

This will be weird for me then as I thought the older gen wore like a 44 on my wrist. I guess it depends on your reference points for "wearing large". Im not that bothered about large dials on large watches. Its the lug overhang that I can't cope with so that's what my AD was referring to when he mentioned the re designed bracelet end links etc. Im really curious to try one on now but I still very much doubt the new bracelet will fit the older gen.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This will be weird for me then as I thought the older gen wore like a 44 on my wrist. I guess it depends on your reference points for "wearing large". Im not that bothered about large dials on large watches. Its the lug overhang that I can't cope with so that's what my AD was referring to when he mentioned the re designed bracelet end links etc. Im really curious to try one on now but I still very much doubt the new bracelet will fit the older gen.
Obviously, I don’t have my hands on the newer model, but from pictures, it looks like they changed the end link design, but it appears that the springbar is still in the same position. So as long as the placement on the lugs didn’t change (and the lugs look to be about the same to me) and the mid case stayed the same, which it seems like it did (the reduced thickness seems to be coming from above the mid case, notably the bezel design), I am optimistic that it will fit the old model. Still need confirmation though. We could have a situation like the new GMT II, which looked like it would take a Submariner bracelet, but very much could not.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got off the phone with the Omega Boutique. Unfortunately, they don’t have any of the new model in yet, but they’re going to let me know when they get one in and maybe we can see if it happens. The sales associate I spoke to has an SM300 MC himself, so he might even be able to see if it fits himself before I start any trial and error.

I will get to the bottom of this!

He also said he doesn’t have the price for the bracelet yet, but he guesses it’ll be around $800. And the new all-brushed Speedmaster bracelet (on the hesalite model) comes out at $680, if anyone happened to be wondering.

Reactions: Perseus

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s certainly the largest wearing watch I wear regularly (the others being a Submariner, Speedmaster, and Monaco); it feels much bigger than the others sometimes.

Reactions: thx67

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
I think you’ll have to wait some time since these just came out. You never know with the correct end links it might fit.

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
Just got off the phone with the Omega Boutique. Unfortunately, they don’t have any of the new model in yet, but they’re going to let me know when they get one in and maybe we can see if it happens. The sales associate I spoke to has an SM300 MC himself, so he might even be able to see if it fits himself before I start any trial and error.

I will get to the bottom of this!

He also said he doesn’t have the price for the bracelet yet, but he guesses it’ll be around $800. And the new all-brushed Speedmaster bracelet (on the hesalite model) comes out at $680, if anyone happened to be wondering.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Obviously, this isn’t an exact, because I don’t know if the pictures are 100% identically scaled, but if you look here, you can determine just about where the springbar is in the new model and that lines up pretty closely to where the spring bar is on the old model (though it also appears in these photos that the lugs on the new model might be slightly shorter), so if the curvature of the bracelet/mid case is the same, I’m optimistic that it’ll fit. But, of course, I can’t be sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts