WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will the PO 2500 increase in value now it is discontinued? How would you view this as an investment in years to come, it may not become rare but neither is the Submariner and look at their prices. The PO 2500 is highly regarded and will always be less than the PO 8500 so could hold it's value, what are your opinions?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
this has been coverered many times before. watches as common as the po 2500 will never give you a return on your money. if you want to make money go and buy some old stamps, or a 250GTO.

·
Banned
668 Posts
When things are discontinued for a better product, they fall
well normally... Read about Omega, check past review magazines and they all say co axial is the future

2500 a b c might be door stops in the future as I read. D might be something I would buy

After owning three this year I can say I more than likely will not buy one. CS is becoming a joke or reported by many on various forums. I agree, investment watch is a Rolex. Need gas or medical treatment in some out of the way spot in the world, Rolex is cash

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
for what it's worth, I've been seeing prices for the common 5513s and non M 14060s drop.
the Submariner's that have real value greater than their modern equivalent aren't common models.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
well normally... Read about Omega, check past review magazines and they all say co axial is the future

2500 a b c might be door stops in the future as I read. D might be something I would buy

After owning three this year I can say I more than likely will not buy one. CS is becoming a joke or reported by many on various forums. I agree, investment watch is a Rolex. Need gas or medical treatment in some out of the way spot in the world, Rolex is cash
A door stop?? Thats pretty harsh considering one could purchased a slightly used PO45 for around $2100usd about 3 yrs ago and it doesnt look like one can be had for that low a price very easily now.

And why would it be a door stop? Is an old Submariner a door stop? An old SM bond? If anything-a vintage rolex is going to be SO hard to repair with the availability of parts dwindling exponentially I wouldnt be surprised if many of them end up being expensive doorstops.

{however-I agree that most watches are not particularly good investment items and wouldnt consider a PO as an "investment" in anything but a fantastic watch}

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
OP, neither old nor discontinued necessarily mean valuable. The best investment in watches is usually one of sentiment. (Though in some cases...)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think the value of 2500 planet oceans will generally hold well, perhaps appreciate very slowly over time as omega raises prices as a brand. Case in point, I bought a 1 month old LNIB PO on bracelet with the complete AD package, even the PO polishing cloth, for $2000 back in 2009. Try find that deal now. Even well used examples are rarely found at that price. That said, watches generally aren't great investments. On the flip side, if there comes a day where wrist watches are no longer desired by people in general, most watches won't be worth much, regardless of the brand.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
They are worth dang near a grand more now than they were three years ago. I remember seeing them on the sales board for $1700 in 09. You can't find one for less than $2500 now.

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Simple plan to ensure that the PO 2500 increases in value.... Please attempt to corner the market and buy every one in sight. Not hundreds, please buy thousands (more if possible). Once you have bought them all (except mine), then the laws of supply and demand will dictate that my lone example (not owned by you) will be worth at least what I paid for it new.

Honestly, every time a watch is discontinued, a buzz starts about resale market going up. Inevitably ends up being a bit of a burp on prices. Maybe it will be diferent this time. Though I doubt it.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
They are worth dang near a grand more now than they were three years ago. I remember seeing them on the sales board for $1700 in 09. You can't find one for less than $2500 now.
I agree. In fact, the PO 2500 should at least retain it's value if not appreciate slightly. It's certainly not a good retirement plan to buy any watch, but the PO should be better than most others.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
this has been coverered many times before. watches as common as the po 2500 will never give you a return on your money. if you want to make money go and buy some old stamps, or a 250GTO.
Stamps! :-d I think you are a bit cynical about the "original" PO, when not produced their will only be the second hand market, that is the only thing that pushes up the price of a Rolex, the non availability.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Rolex is cash... nice myth that..most people would think it is a fake especially if you are missing your American Express Centurion :) Only one model of Rolex is an investment only due to the fact Rolex restrict supply. Not all Rolex are investment and all of the current models apart from the Sub you can walk into an AD and purchase.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

i've never understood this argument. if you're that desperate, what would prevent the potential buyer from just jacking you for it? remember national lampoon's vacation when clark gets his car repaired?

Clark: Yeah, well, we're from out of town. How much do I owe you?
Mechanic 1: How much you got?
Clark: No, I'm asking how much the repairs are.
Mechanic 1: And I'm asking how much you got!
Clark: You're out of your mind. Look, I don't have time to fool around so how much is it?
Mechanic 1: [waving a wrench] All of it, boy!
Clark: What does your sheriff think of your business practice?
[Mechanic 1 laughs and shows Clark his sheriff's badge]

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Put down the crack pipe with talk like "Door stop". What a ridiculous statement.
Why would a Discontinued Rolex movement be any more valuable in the future? The only reason any of these watches will hold their value is if the current pricing trends increase faster than the watches depreciation value and that has to do with desirability and supply and demand. I never once thought of my Rolex as currency on my wrist in a time of crisis. Maybe if I was a drug dealer or vagrant, I might think of it in those terms but normal people have many many other forms of currency in a time of need.
You want to see a depreciating watch, check out a solid gold Rolex. It's depreciation is deplorable compared to its MSRP when first purchased.

The 2500 PO has a very good chance of holding its value simply because it was under priced when it was available and it's replacement (which looks almost identical to the average buyer) compensated for this and was price much much higher. This puts the original PO in a very unique position.

I'd sell my "Trunk Monkey" for medical care before I would sell my watch....

I agree, investment watch is a Rolex.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
2254 seamaster is an investment for pre own. My friend bought a pre own 4 yrs ago for $1300. Now it takes abt $1500-$1700 to get it.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
If I really need medical treatment, just stitch a Sub into my wound and I'm sure I'll feel better ;-)

Reactions: timenut

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I think the value of 2500 planet oceans will generally hold well, perhaps appreciate very slowly over time as omega raises prices as a brand. Case in point, I bought a 1 month old LNIB PO on bracelet with the complete AD package, even the PO polishing cloth, for $2000 back in 2009. Try find that deal now. Even well used examples are rarely found at that price. That said, watches generally aren't great investments. On the flip side, if there comes a day where wrist watches are no longer desired by people in general, most watches won't be worth much, regardless of the brand.
Yup. I had the same purchase experience as you. --LNIB for $2000 in 09. And I think wrist watches have reached the status of permanent iconic collectable so I'm not worried about them no longer being desired

·
6,880 Posts
I have no doubt that they'll hold their value very well and slowly appreciate. Same thing happened with the 2254's when they were discontinued and this can be seen on the PO's with the price movements over the past 2-3 years. They aren't getting any cheaper, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts