WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am about to buy my first submariner!
Its a 16610 from 1991 (my birthyear) and the seller doesnt know about service history. I contacted the previous owned (before the current owner) and he also didnt know about the service. However, both of them stated that the watch runs perfectly and no more than +1/24h.
The watch is in good conditions and comes with box and certificate from an AD in sweden.
The price is: 4248$ or 3271

I just want to make sure this is a nice deal so I dont throw away my money on my first submariner.
I also want to make sure that if Im not pleased with the watch I will be able to get the same amount when I sell it. Or am I stupid to buy this watch without knowing about service?

Here's a pic of the watch
8015830306_254879c187_b.jpg

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Price seems good enough. It will need a service at some point. And I'm guessing quite soon if two owners haven't. If you are not fully comfortable then don't do it. Anymore pics?
Cheers

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Hi, I should have given a bit more.

More pics are required for a better opinion.

Anyway, price is there or there abouts, it may need a service, around $600.00 dollars. Recently I saw a 1985 with a year's warranty go for about $4500.00 here in Oz.

It's a birth year, so I would get it, the price is about right.

Just make sure it's the real deal, can't really tell from that pic. you posted.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
IMHO, price is a little high considering it needs a service right away. If neither owner can recall a service, then it has never been serviced until proven otherwise. Those poor little gears are just grinding away on each other and wearing away.

JMHO

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
In terms of price, if it's genuine and you like it then it's actually a cracking deal, that's only about £2,600, you'd really struggle to get anywhere near that price in the UK for a 16610.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
In terms of price, if it's genuine and you like it then it's actually a cracking deal, that's only about £2,600, you'd really struggle to get anywhere near that price in the UK for a 16610.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man I'm getting old...

Yes you are right from a UK point of view. Prices has gone up remarkable last couple of years. Sweden though its about what you can expect. Not high but not a bargain either.

/Peter

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
OP didn't state where he was from, but I just assumed USA since he had $$ listed first. Price could be negotiated a bit due to needed service issue IMHO. I guess if the OP is located in Great Britian, he should grab it and run.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Price seems good enough. It will need a service at some point. And I'm guessing quite soon if two owners haven't. If you are not fully comfortable then don't do it. Anymore pics?
Cheers
One of the owners has only had it since september.

Hi, I should have given a bit more.

More pics are required for a better opinion.

Anyway, price is there or there abouts, it may need a service, around $600.00 dollars. Recently I saw a 1985 with a year's warranty go for about $4500.00 here in Oz.

It's a birth year, so I would get it, the price is about right.

Just make sure it's the real deal, can't really tell from that pic. you posted.
Its the x-serie which they say means 1991. So I hope so. Its quite important for me.
Can anyone tell me if this statement is true?

OP didn't state where he was from, but I just assumed USA since he had $$ listed first. Price could be negotiated a bit due to needed service issue IMHO. I guess if the OP is located in Great Britian, he should grab it and run.
Im from Sweden aswell.

For all of you:
Even if the previous owners tells me that this runs very good (-1sec/24h) is the watch in need of a service right away?

Pictures: (this is not the current seller)
Klocksnack • Visa tråd - FSOT: Rolex Submariner 16610 - Såld/Bytt - Sveriges nya klockforum

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
For all of you:Even if the previous owners tells me that this runs very good (-1sec/24h) is the watch in need of a service right away?Pictures: (this is not the current seller)Klocksnack • Visa tråd - FSOT: Rolex Submariner 16610 - Såld/Bytt - Sveriges nya klockforum
I would send it in right away. Watches need oil and those jewels as well. The small parts are just grinding away right now even though it is keeping good time.New seals / gaskets are a must also.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hm okay. Well, I bought it now, he will send it to me ASAP. Hope I wont get disappointed.
I will consider serving the watch in shortly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Congrats! Hopefully you found a good one.
Nevertheless, I am not totally convinced on the statement: (google translation) " A while ago I measured the margin of error on it, but then (less than a year ago) it struck at -1 seconds."
What is margin of error? Someone can think margin of error is 20 seconds/day. When there's no cold facts on the table, more detailed info can be valuable to be asked.
Warm recommendations for the inspection asap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats! Hopefully you found a good one.
Nevertheless, I am not totally convinced on the statement: (google translation) "A while ago I measured the margin of error on it, but then (less than a year ago) it struck at -1 seconds."
What is margin of error? Someone can think margin of error is 20 seconds/day. When there's no cold facts on the table, more detailed info can be valuable to be asked.
Warm recommendations for the inspection asap.
Im not sure what you mean with the first statement about 20secs/day.
What kind of info can be asked? The watch is already bought, Im waiting for it to arrive at the moment. But I have asked the previous owner how long the person before him had the watch. And since he knew him (his brother in law) he would ask and get back to me.
But what more can I dig into? Is there anything I can do to investigate further into this, so I dont have to put it into service for no reason (if we say that it was served 2009 or something)?

Thanks for the help by the way!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts