WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had the battery changed in my 5600c today. I just got it and when I got it back I saw this scratch, but I didn't notice till I got home, I asked the shop and they said it was already there. I checked the auction pictures and don't see it. It's also in a weird place I don't get how they (could've) caused the scratch. They opened it in the back and not in front of me though. Regardless, it's there and I'm wondering if it could be removed(the scratch that's above the word casio

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
You can remove that scratch, but it will likely require some sanding (2000 grit paper should be enough) and you will probably lose the concentric circle pattern on the back

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just another reason to change your own batteries with some tools aquired from ebay/dagaz or similar. You know what battery is going in there, like a high mh-hour Maxell etc.when you install it yourself, and at least if you scratch the back by accident you know you did it yourself rather then somebody else who denies it and then charges you for the priveledge... rant over.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just another reason to change your own batteries with some tools aquired from ebay/dagaz or similar. You know what battery is going in there, like a high mh-hour Maxell etc.when you install it yourself, and at least if you scratch the back by accident you know you did it yourself rather then somebody else who denies it and then charges you for the priveledge... rant over.
Regularly I do it myself, but I'm not that good and usually scratch it so I thought I'd pay to have it done once and it got scratched anyway :/

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
it probably happened because the tool they were using slipped, they were probably applying a lot of force since the battery likely hasn't been changed in a long time

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
If i were you, i'll leave it alone... but if you want to polish it, its your watch and i hope you have fun restoring it.

it might be scratched by its own buckle and so.. in my view, it doesnt look like a slipped tool mark.

most of those vintage screwback got scratches on the caseback anyway ... hope you can get thru and enjoy the watch again.

·
Premium Member
14,621 Posts
It is a G-Shock. It is supposed to take a beating. If it does not have 10 times the number of scratches in 6 months, you have not treated it fairly.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
In future you might want to sellotape the back before trying to open it.

This what I do. It only takes a couple of minutes to cover everything, other than the caseback slots and it does protect against a tool slippage.

A couple of weeks ago I couldn't move the backs on a couple of old watches (a G-2000 and an 8200 Frog). So I took them to a local guy and asked if he would just loosen them for me. I left the sellotape on the back just in case. He agreed to do it and I just threw him a couple of quid for his help as it took him only seconds to do it.

So I have a back up source now in case I can't move the backs in future.

Mitch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts