WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if going through the airport metal detector and or the X-ray machine magnetizes the watch movement ? I'm hesitant to take my mechanicals on trips due to this concern. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Never had any issues. The bigger threat, to me at least, is my habit of removing my watch pre-security and indiscriminately chucking it into my laptop bag (which becomes my man purse when I travel) next to my headphones (which of course have sizeable magnets in the ear pieces) and also the magnetic flip cover for my tablet.

·
Registered
942 Posts
X Ray machines are not particularly magnetic, except in that any electrical circuit produces a magnetic field. Your watch will be fine.

It would be a bigger problem to put it in your laptop case or on your tablet with magnetic case, like Charles said. Even then it’s highly likely to be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
I have a couple book packs and a small Ameribag, all of which are under-seat carry-ons. All have stash pockets. So with more than 1 watch, the extras can go into a watch wrap or case, and if preferred, the worn watch can be slid into a stash pocket.

I wouldn't worry about the magnet in earbuds at all; should be too small. Fuller-size headphones like Beats might be an issue. A magnetic tablet cover *can* be an issue. I have a Portenzo cover for my Nexus 9, and yes, it's made a couple of my quartz watches run very off while they were too close.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I fly a few times monthly for work and never had a watch magnetized either by metal detector, the nudie scanner (big machine where you got to spread legs and arms) or just going through xray with carry-on. So should not be an issue.

And if a watch does get magnetized anywhere, every collector should own a $15 demagnetizer from ebay.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I have not had any issues with my Tudor Black Bay or Rolex Explorer, through the Airport's machines.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am a very frequent traveler for work and have never had a problem...until this week. I always bring a few watches in my checked bag and this time a vintage Swiss-made Baylor auto appears to have been magnetized as it is running abnormally fast. However, a vintage Orient auto that was in the same bag is keeping time normally. I will attempt to demagnetize the Baylor and see what happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.