WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The question is: I'm not a great fan of gold (case) watches, but I found for sale, from a professional seller, two IWC «vintage»:
IWC_1944a.jpg IWC_1944b.jpg
(not my pics) - IWC from 1944 (a little more expensive, but that's not the point) - case diameter 36 mm, reference 410, cal 83

IWC_1966a.jpg IWC_1966b.jpg
(again not my pics) - IWC from 1966 - case diamenter 33 mm, reference 1205, cal 401

I like them both...but can only afford one of them.

Which one would you choose?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
915 Posts
My 2 cents.

Both are very nice. If it were me I'd go with #1.
I'm partial to the sub second dial and like the dauphine style hands.
I like the fact that it's a little older too. I'm not familiar with the movements, but the first looks similar to the JLC movement,
maybe someone else could chime in on that one.
The biggest plus in my book is the difference in size, a 36mm is more in line with current taste for size, the 33mm would look a bit small,
but then again it's a matter of taste.

Finally, the things I'm not crazy about #1 are the arabic numerals and the lugs. I like a more pronounced lug.

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its one for me and all for one, where have I heard something like that before.

Lovely watches but for the same reasons, it is No1 by a mile

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you all.

I sincerelly agree with all your opinions.
When consensus are usually dificult, this one turns out a non-issue. Which is great.
I'm going for the No1. Just have to negotiate it proprely.

Thanks again for your help. You've been most kind.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I'm a bit late but I have to say that you made the right choice, I'd have went
for number one too.
Great watch.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I would of gone for number 2, kidding I do like the look of the movement in number1 reminds me of pocket watch movement style. And like others do like sub dial sec

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So, I did it...almost.
Please, forgive me, but I did not buy any of these two watches.
I'll explain: No2 with 33mm diameter seemed, as you noticed, too small on the wrist. The No1 had two little details that puzzeled me: the back case, as you can see in the photo, had a small dint and the dial had two little «scars» (center and between 9 and 10). Don't get me wrong: they are in excellent condition and I may be too picky. I know I am.
But I found another IWC from the 50s that truly amazed me. Rose Gold, 36mm diameter (it even wears a little larger) and in excellent condition, with a 2year warranty from a professional seller. He is a reputable watchmaker.
I bought it. Ok. I can still find small scratches, but nothing special, and the dial has an incredible patina. I know some of you are not great fans of arabic numerals, but as you always say, after all, that's a matter of taste.
I took a (lousy) pic. I'll take better photos as soon as possible and will post them in the Public Forum. But the first one has to be for you.
Thank you all for your opinions.

IWC_C1.JPG

Cheers

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Woof...That is very nice. Presents alot like number 1 in the original post. Excellent buy. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I promised some pics...and you can see some minor flaws on the dial, maybe as a result of a restoration work:
1. The 60s mark is not properly aligned;
2. The 'c' in the «Watch» was clearly redone (?)
I said I was picky. But I love the watch...!

IWC_CN1.JPG

IWC_CN2.JPG

IWC_CN3.JPG

IWC_CN4.JPG

IWC_CN5.JPG

Again, thank you all for your kind help.
Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts