WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Know I’m stirring up a hornet’s nest here, but I’ve been living with William Jean’s new 1:1 replica waffle strap for the past week or so, and wanted to post my impressions.

First, I don’t want to pretend there hasn’t been controversy over the use of the words Seiko and Japan on the inside of the strap, but I have to say that personally, it doesn’t bother me. My own take on it is that it’s on the inside, where no-one can see it. And anyway, it’s not like wearing a fake Rolex to get some kind of social recognition. The whole waffle strap is something no-one other than a Seiko collector would notice.

Anyway, I’ve also got a Super Oyster that says Seiko all over the buckle, and I’m pretty sure – OK, absolutely sure – it’s not a Seiko product. I have a watch with aftermarket hands, too. . .

Perhaps I’m letting my positive impression of William Jean colour – favourably – my impression. We have communicated about watch issues over the months, on a wide number of Seiko subjects. He strikes me as a collector, and an honourable person.

I’m not trying to invite some kind of tedious ethics debate, but I can understand why some people have an issue with the strap. My suggestion is that anyone who wants a waffle strap that is a lookalike, but clearly not a 1:1 copy should check out the Dawn of Time waffle. It’s both thicker and cheaper. Or else the Seiko MarineMaster strap, which is longer and more angular.

I own all three (1:1, DoT and MarineMaster) and personally prefer the 1:1 by a long margin. In short, I never felt the MarineMaster looked right on my 6105 – it’s too modern, somehow. I wore the DoT for a long time, but I have to say it gets sweaty on a hot day. (I wrote about my search for the perfect waffle strap here.)

I prefer the 1:1, which (in my subjective opinion) looks better than the DoT waffle and the MarineMaster, and is a lot more comfortable than either, particularly when the weather gets hot.

Anyway, it looks the part on a 6105-8110. . .

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Thanks for sharing your opinion on the three straps. I have the WJ 1:1 and personally love it. I've not tried the others but see no need to now. :-!

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,775 Posts
First, I don’t want to pretend there hasn’t been controversy over the use of the words Seiko and Japan on the inside of the strap, but I have to say that personally, it doesn’t bother me.
I think that strap and watch look great together! What exactly is the controversy you are talking about.

·
6,775 Posts
It looks perfect:-!

Killer 6105 as well:p:-!

Cheers
Shannon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts