WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a wilsdorf and davis stamped watch which was my late fathers,i have been strugling for work recently and i unfortunately have to sell.searching the web has given me clues and talk of rolex has pricked my ears up,it might be my state of mind but i cant believe this is worth the prices ive seen on the web,any info would be much appreciated- to my embarrassment the photos will not upload,i wasnt going to post but i have nothing to lose. its white faced ,black numerals which looked like could of been gold at some point, it has a seperate seconds dial, the movement is marconi 17 jewels,hallmarks are w and d,u,925,and date stamp??which i cant make out,it has 4131 stamped aswell. il work on photos,my apologies edit, added some dodgy cam phone photos to give you an idea

Attachments

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I honestly think you would be better off keeping it as an heirloom. I suspect that you will find that prices for early stuff like this is significantly less than you expect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for reply m4tt,know what your saying,my father didnt wear the watch,it was with some of his stuff,my house is up for sale,things are tough i gather this watch isnt anything special by the lack of response,no problem

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
I think the watch is very special. But perhaps not extremely valuable. The two don't always equate.

There is a tendency to believe that because a watch is old, it is worth a lot of money. That isn't usually true. It's also very difficult to vlaue watches based on pictures over the internet. I suggest you find a reputable watchmaker with some vintage experience and ask his advice.

Jeannie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks jeanie,im not going to plead poverty especially on a rolex forum,the sale of this watch would pay for food,petrol.im not thinking its worth thousands,my purpose here is to ask you guys is it genuine?a frankenwatch?my local jewellers looked at it as scrap silver.i wouldnt have a clue who to take it to or how to sel it,thanks again

·
4,393 Posts
These watches are not often discussed here, but the watch looks genuine, even given the quality of the photos. Google Rolex trench marconi and you find out a whole lot more. Don't follow the prices on these, but using ebay's completed auction feature should give you a good average number of what they are worth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks strela,i did what you said,only one w and davis trench watch on completed auctions,it looks the same but with gold numerals intact,1800 pounds but no bidders,if i was to sell on ebay would a reserve be a good idea,i? dont want to give it away,but then im not expecting top money(it winds ,ticks and hands move but no doubt needs a service and polish up)because its a w and d,does this make it worth more?there are no crows feet stamped so is it military ?so many questions,thanks again to you all for the assistance

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
'Marconi' is merely one of Hans Wilsdorf's early brand names before he settled on Rolex and Tudor. You will find pretty well exactly the same watch with 'Rolex' on the dial at a proportionally higher price. The movement is a seventeen jewel 'hunter' (so called because the rown is at the three rather than the twelve) Aegler movement (who also supplied Gruen) from Aegler's Rebberg factory (which Wilsdorf bought out in slightly dubious circumstances). If you try searching with a variety of the names I have mentioned, you will find out more I am sure, but I really would suggest that the watch you saw on ebay is not remotely representative of the prices that these Wilsdorf trench watches reach. One day these may be really valuable, but that day has not come yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks m4tt,its 15 jewels not 17,my mistake,its going on ebay very shortly,im gonna start it at £250,any less and probably not worth selling,im really warming to this piece,im in essex by the way

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
They came in fifteen and seventeen jewel variants - it's fundamentally the same movement. I suspect you will be keeping it, but good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I really would hold onto it. There is no reason to think that Rolex will not continue to develop the brand and at some point this development and prestige will reach back to the earliest stuff. ROlex prices just keep rising across the board and so I think it would be a good thing to hold on to as it is worth nothing now and could be worth rather a lot one day. Look at military watches, a few years ago you couldn't give them away now they are a hot property.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no doubt sound advice m4tt,but my bank account is hungry, when my house is sold i may look into getting a ww2 era military watch,i have allways been interested in the battle of britain

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
no doubt sound advice m4tt,but my bank account is hungry, when my house is sold i may look into getting a ww2 era military watch,i have allways been interested in the battle of britain
You'll be wanting a 6b/159 watch then. Sadly, Rolex did not produce watches for the British military during WWII, but did supply some to British POW officers from late 1943 onwards. While it is widely claimed that Battle of Britain pilots habitually wore Rolex Air Kings I have never once seen any evidence of this whatsoever. If there is any solid evidence, I'd love to see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts