WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have ordered a good watch, an Oris Diver Date and the Jewler mentioned that automatic watches work and last the longest if they keep working.
Now I am wondering if I should purchase a winder since I will only be wearing the watch a few days a week at best. I am sure many members could accuratetly shed some light on this issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I tried juggling 2 automatic watches without a winder. Achievable but i couldn't wear the same watch for more than 2 days in a row.

I bought a winder and life is much easier now.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I see no reason to believe your jeweler. I believe that a mechanical clock should be set to work once a month or so, for 24 hours, just to keep the oil where it's supposed to be. But I see no reason to think that using it all the time, rather than part of the time, would help its long-term health.

The more complications your watch has, the more trouble you'll save by keeping it wound. But you'll have to change its time periodically anyway, because of the watch's inherent accuracy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see no reason to believe your jeweler. I believe that a mechanical clock should be set to work once a month or so, for 24 hours, just to keep the oil where it's supposed to be. But I see no reason to think that using it all the time, rather than part of the time, would help its long-term health.

The more complications your watch has, the more trouble you'll save by keeping it wound. But you'll have to change its time periodically anyway, because of the watch's inherent accuracy.
Okay, I follow what you are saying and it makes sense. If I am going to wear the watch once a week, should I keep it wound or just re-set the watch when using it?

i ahve 2 spring drive Seiko's and just re-set them when using them. Difficult choices once you have 4 or 5 watches and this is where the Eco Drive (solar) becomes a real advantage.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Okay, I follow what you are saying and it makes sense. If I am going to wear the watch once a week, should I keep it wound or just re-set the watch when using it?

i ahve 2 spring drive Seiko's and just re-set them when using them. Difficult choices once you have 4 or 5 watches and this is where the Eco Drive (solar) becomes a real advantage.
Spring Drive watches aren't supposed to be on a winder; I have no idea why, but that's Seiko's firm recommendation.

I wear my Spring Drive watches for two days at a time, alternating, so the rarely run down (only when I'm out of town, because I only take one with me). The other two watches are mostly left unwound, worn occasionally (and wound/set for the occasion). I have several watch winders, but don't use them.

YMMV

Mark

·
Registered
60,522 Posts
None of my autos live on a winder and the only reason I would consider one is if the watch had a complication that was a PITA to set when I came to wear it. The argument over whether it is best to let a watch run down or keep it moving rumbles on. No prizes for guessing which camp I'm in.

·
Registered
317 Posts
For the record, my "pro-winder" stance is purely because i'd prefer not to have to reset my watches before i wear them every time.

I could say i'm worried about putting undue wear on the crowns, but i'm just lazy :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You now what, whatever you are comfortable with and works for your situation make best sense. I was just curious what is the best situation for the watch but apparently there are two trains of thought and I am sure that neither one really surpasses the other by a whole lot!

·
Registered
60,522 Posts
As you said there are two trains of thought and the chances are you will get run over by one of them. :-d The movement is not working when it's run down but resetting it every few days may put extra wear on the crown mechanism - what to do? I think it best to find what suits you most. I'm in the "winders are the devil's spawn" camp simply because they don't suit my circumstances.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts