WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wearing my PO constantly for this first week and ...

NO; it hasn't stopped or done anything badly. Actually, I cannot seem to take it off.

My question is this;

I only gave it 24 turns of winding when I received it and have worn it that way since first putting it on.

On average, it is gaining just a slight fraction over 4 seconds per day.

Should I fully wind it to let it even out and settle? Or is it just fine to leave things going as they are?

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I wind my Seamaster GMT, it recoils approx. 1/8 - 1/4 turn backwards after each wind clockwise. Normal? Am I winding correctly (ducking)?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just as a caution;

Am I correct...about 50 turns ?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Why wouldn't you want it fully wound?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
A dumb question, but which way should you wind the PO? With my Speedmaster and GMT it is obvious, the noise gives it away, but the PO doesn't have the same. Also I take it unscrew the crown and pull out to first position, then wind which way?

appreciate your help

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It wasn't that I "wouldn't" want it fully wound...I just wasn't sure how many turns it took. 24 seemed like a safe number. New watch; didn't want to overwind it.

I took the "break-in" period and didn't fully wind until I had some miles on her. ;-)

·
Registered
415 Posts
A dumb question, but which way should you wind the PO? With my Speedmaster and GMT it is obvious, the noise gives it away, but the PO doesn't have the same. Also I take it unscrew the crown and pull out to first position, then wind which way?

appreciate your help
i'd like to know the answer to this as well...

·
Registered
338 Posts
To wind the PO. Unscrew the crown. Do not pull the crown out. Start rolling it like a bugger. When it turns clockwise you will feel the resistance of the main spring, this is winding it up.

·
Registered
415 Posts
To wind the PO. Unscrew the crown. Do not pull the crown out. Start rolling it like a bugger. When it turns clockwise you will feel the resistance of the main spring, this is winding it up.
great, thanks. and this is safe to do, won't strip anything or put unnecessary wear/tear on the watch? should I do this regularly even if I wear the watch all the time (has never stopped on me...)

also, every few winds in the manner you describe I hear/feel this strange sensation. Is this normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
great, thanks. and this is safe to do, won't strip anything or put unnecessary wear/tear on the watch? should I do this regularly even if I wear the watch all the time (has never stopped on me...)

also, every few winds in the manner you describe I hear/feel this strange sensation. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Yes the watch was made to operate in this way, so no it will not hurt it. I believe the thing you hear/feel is the watch winding up, and yes I guess it does feel a little strange, but without being able to hear/feel it myself it's hard to say, but overall you should hear/feel something.

As mystro stated above "Optimum accuracy can only be reach when the main spring is wound full. Go ahead and wind it." I do not regulary manually wind my automatics unless it has run dead, or left off a winder and haven't worn it for 12 hours or so. I find my PO keeps wonderful time.

One thing to mention is if owners are not careful when screwing the crown down they can strip the threading. This is not common but it does happen. What I do to screw my crown down is while giving it some pressure against the watch case I turn it counter-clockwise about a quarter to a half turn to make sure the crown is seated properly before I screw it down clockwise. The crown should screw down smooth and should not take 'force'.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The watch has an overwind clutch in it, so you cannot damage it by overwinding. Otherwise, there would be a danger of overwinding just by wearing it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
When I wind my Seamaster GMT, it recoils approx. 1/8 - 1/4 turn backwards after each wind clockwise. Normal? Am I winding correctly (ducking)?
Mine does this as well (turns backwards a tiny bit after I wind). Is this normal?

Also, I feel a "clunk" exactly every 1 turn clockwise...is this normal as well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Mine does this as well (turns backwards a tiny bit after I wind). Is this normal?

Also, I feel a "clunk" exactly every 1 turn clockwise...is this normal as well?

Thanks!
Yes, normal. Mine does the same thing. The overwind clutch thingie on the Great White is pretty noisy (compared to my other watches). Also, yours might not be a 'Great White' (or white dialed version) GMT but they have the same movement.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yes, normal. Mine does the same thing. The overwind clutch thingie on the Great White is pretty noisy (compared to my other watches). Also, yours might not be a 'Great White' (or white dialed version) GMT but they have the same movement.
ok cool, thanks. I have a Planet Ocean 45mm ;)

Does that mean it's already fully wound then? It started happening my first turn clockwise (keep in mind I wear it all day everyday, but not at night)

Thanks!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Is this thread for real :-d

1 - 20 of 26 Posts