WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you really have to wind the watch at the same type? Or you can just wind it every so often. I find myself winding the watch 2 to 3 times a day. Not because it needs it by out of habit. Is this bad for the watch?
Thanks in advance.

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
You certainly won't hurt it by winding it several time a day. Winding at the same time once a day is typically suggested for best timekeeping.

Also, if the watch still has its old blue steel mainspring, I'd be concerned about the mainspring breaking prematurely. That's putting some extra winding and unwinding stress on the spring.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
A watch is regulated to keep the best average time over a variety of positions and levels of mainspring tension.

Winding the watch once a day, at roughly the same time each day, keeps up this average so that the watch always winds down to a certain level, the same time, each time, before it's wound up. This keeps the average timekeeping accuracy of the watch consistent.

Winding it more or less often is not going to damage it, but I wouldn't recommend it from an accuracy point of view.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts