WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Marine original but i found the instructions with regards to winding direction to be vague. I fired off an email to Regine and got the following reply which I am posting for future reference to other Stowa owners.

Thank you for your E-Mail and interest in our STOWA watches.

Please find the exact explanation regarding the winding direction as follows:

For our handwinding movements:
Our handwinding movements are specially secured by a winding stop mechanism. There is a hard resistance which avoids that the watch is getting overwinded. But still we recommend to wind your watch carefully.
If you wind your watch clock wise you will wind the mainspring. If you wind counter clock wise it will not have any effect on the movement. There is a clutch which slips if you turn the crown counter clock wise.

For our automatic movements:
If you wind your automatic movement manually clock wise, you will feel a slight more resistance than when you turn it counter clock wise. This is normal because when you wind your watch clock wise you wind up the main spring.
When you turn it counter clock wise it slips, too. There is no effect on the main spring when you wind the watch counter clock wise.

As far as we are concerned setting the time by turning the hands counterclockwise does not harm any damage to your movement or watch.
You can easily set the time by turning the hands back or forward, don´t worry.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It won't do any harm when you change the time because the mechanism of the crown has been disengaged from the spring.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just wind it with a steady, gentle but firm motion, you will not over-wind as you will feel a certain resistance building up as the spring is coiled, you will eventually reach a point where you are unable to wind further, thats a full wind.

I am quite new to hw, and i am beginning to appreciate hw more than automatics.

·
Registered
718 Posts
For many years, I thought that I would do damage to the movement by setting the time by winding the hands counterclockwise. I could not have been more wrong. However, does the same rule apply to quartz watches? Can a quartz watch be set CW and CCW without damage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I winds it too fast will it cause damage to the watch? It was a Seiko 6r15 and I accidentally 'slip' the crown too fast while I am winding it. Will this cause any damage or any hidden issue to the mechanism?

·
Registered
738 Posts
If I winds it too fast will it cause damage to the watch? It was a Seiko 6r15 and I accidentally 'slip' the crown too fast while I am winding it. Will this cause any damage or any hidden issue to the mechanism?
Only if you put the Seiko movement in a Stowa watch ;)

Reactions: SieWatchNerd
1 - 9 of 9 Posts