WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
New to Mechanical Watches: I have had my Nav B-Uhr II 44mm Hand Wound watch for a week now. It is stunning to look at and really well made for the price. The problem I have been facing though is that the power reserve on my watch seems to be very poor. Initially, I was cautious to wind the watch because I have never wound a watch earlier, but now after winding it to what I believe is fully wound, the power reserve seems to be very low and lasts only for 14-15hrs. I keep winding the watch till it becomes difficult to wind it any further. Is there someway I could be sure that I have wound it fully or could it be that the movement is defective? Has anyone ever received a Steinhart with a defective 6497 movement?

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
blaz, it seems you are winding it correctly, clockwise & until you feel it will not wind any further. When winding do not stop when you feel resistance only stop when you feel it will not wind any further. Once you reach this point stop, do not force it any further. Be sure to wind it once a day & do it at the same time every day. I wind all of mine at the same time every day just before I go to bed.

Keep at it for another week or two & see what happens. If it still doesn't seem right contact Steinhart, [email protected].

·
Registered
21 Posts
blaz, it seems you are winding it correctly, clockwise & until you feel it will not wind any further. When winding do not stop when you feel resistance only stop when you feel it will not wind any further. Once you reach this point stop, do not force it any further. Be sure to wind it once a day & do it at the same time every day. I wind all of mine at the same time every day just before I go to bed.

Keep at it for another week or two & see what happens. If it still doesn't seem right contact Steinhart, [email protected].
hi riker,

I have steinhart MC II roman, with unitas 6498 movement. You mentioned to wind the watch everyday. I don't wear the watch everyday, so I usually wind it once a week if it is really unused in that week. Is this correct? or I have to wind it everyday even though I don't wear it?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
...winding the watch regularly and completely help the main spring to work better and reaching a regular and standard power reserve.
Try to take a look in the forum. Many threads talk about mechanical movements... Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I have steinhart MC II roman, with unitas 6498 movement. You mentioned to wind the watch everyday. I don't wear the watch everyday, so I usually wind it once a week if it is really unused in that week. Is this correct? or I have to wind it everyday even though I don't wear it?
No. You don't have to wind your watch everyday if you don't plan on wearing it for a while. I rotate through approx. 50 watches, many handwinding models, and I would go nuts if I had to wind them everyday. I fully wind whatever model I put on and plan to wear for a little while, and let it unwind fully when it's back in storage. I have many Unitas models including the Marine Chronometer and have never had an issue with any of their power reserves using this method.

Monitor you watch for a few more days and then test your power reserve. If it's actually as bad as you think it is, it will probably need to be looked at. However, in most cases, especially with automatics, the person complaining about a low power reserve isn't working with a fully wound watch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No. You don't have to wind your watch everyday if you don't plan on wearing it for a while. I rotate through approx. 50 watches, many handwinding models, and I would go nuts if I had to wind them everyday. I fully wind whatever model I put on and plan to wear for a little while, and let it unwind fully when it's back in storage. I have many Unitas models including the Marine Chronometer and have never had an issue with any of their power reserves using this method.

Monitor you watch for a few more days and then test your power reserve. If it's actually as bad as you think it is, it will probably need to be looked at. However, in most cases, especially with automatics, the person complaining about a low power reserve isn't working with a fully wound watch.
ok. thanks for the info... cheers

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Yeah, just as Uwe has said, there is no need to wind your watch every day if you do not pan to wear it daily. Ofcourse you can if you want but there is no real need to.
hi riker,

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've also received my hand-wind Nav B 47mm yesterday and wound it until it wouldn't go any further and it only lasted approx. 14 hours. I'm worried a bit..Plus they've sent me the watch on an ugly brown strap instead of the one depicted on their web site..Can they do that without informing me first and asking for permission?

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
therion, keep persisting with winding for a week or two, it should give you around 48hrs power reserve. If it doesn't contact Steinhart, [email protected]

As for the strap, yes Steinhart can change a strap without any advice to customers. They do on occassion advise a change of straps on the website but may have not done so for the Nav.B you purchased. The original strap could be out of stock. If you are unhappy with the strap you received then again, contact Steinhart & discuss it with them.

I've also received my hand-wind Nav B 47mm yesterday and wound it until it wouldn't go any further and it only lasted approx. 14 hours. I'm worried a bit..Plus they've sent me the watch on an ugly brown strap instead of the one depicted on their web site..Can they do that without informing me first and asking for permission?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thank you for the reply! The power reserve is much better after 2 windings. I've also read some online instructions on how to wind the watch and I think I didn't wind it enough the first time. I've made approx. 50 rotations yesterday and it's still alive :) I've contacted Steinhart about the strap, because I really hate the color. I like brown, but not this specific tone, it ruins the watch. But I don't mind really, I have big plans, and they include many many straps :) Does anybody have any experience with this strap maker:

Google Translate

Oh, and my Steiny on a crappy strap :) :

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Reactions: Broten and OinkieE

·
Registered
720 Posts
Wow, that's a good lookin' one!! What is the price range for such fine pieces of craftsmanship? I'd like one for my Nav!! I didn't know that mr. Riker makes straps..And Il Cinturino seems pretty good too. The search continues, same ol' story, my wife is definately gonna kill me any time now..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts