WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I found a watch that i want to buy, the thing is the buyer is asking for a bank transfer (international, since am not located in the same country).
This is my first time and I am not sure if it's safe or not. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I have read many horror stories on the web about people doing that!
It seems that once he gets the money, that's it...You have no recourse.
Now, as in most cases you never read about the successful, honest transactions.
Like to add, Is it a dealer or individual?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless the dealer was completely reputable and trustworthy. If they do you wrong, you have no recourse with a wire transfer. Be very, very careful.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I have done wire transfers. It was thru a reputable online dealer with references from other buyers.
As they always say, buy the seller.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How am i supposed to know if they are trustworthy? is it ok to mention the name of the dealer here in the forum? to check if some one has done any transactions with them?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would not do it. You have no recourse if something goes wrong.

Of course the seller wants a wire transfer, it's instant and without fees. But that is what Paypal is for, it offers some protection for the buyer.

Forget that seller - take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a Bremont Martin Baker with a wire transfer from an authorized dealer. I only did it because they were authorized dealers and are a big store who carries Rolexes, Bremonts, Breitlings and Omegas. They don't need to rob me to make a living. They won't jeopardize their image like that. Choose a reputable dealer who does international shipping. You can find on a dealer's store the price of a watch with local taxes or without which means they do international shipping. Some, on the other hand, do not display prices online due to Brand instructions. Those you have to ask to see whether they'll do it or not.

I am also in the process of buying another watch from another dealer who are big and reputable. However, like others pointed out, a wire transfer is not without its dangers. Try to convince them to accept a credit card somehow like showing them your name and billing address on a bank statement .

Good luck deciding.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I would think in this day and age most reputable business owners would take Paypal or a charge card. For instance I bought a couple of watches from Ernie, who is obviously in another country from me and Paypal worked fine for him. Wire transfer only always raises a red flag for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the dealer is in the US or Canada, look them up in the Better Business Bureau website. They give ratings based on many factors. However, their rating should NOT be the only factor in your decision. Make them one of your research steps to help you reach a decision you're comfortable with.

Go to: Check Out a Business or Charity - U.S. BBB

Look them up and try to be thorough to make sure that they are on the list or not. Try by their name or category. Also, try typing in all their locations one at a time.

For instance, if dealer "such and such" is located in Chicago, IL and in Nashville, TN, then try both cities.

The easiest is to type in "Watches - Dealers" in the search for space to get all the dealers.

Try to be thorough and see what they say about that particular dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, they wouldn't mind paypal mostly. One dealer, with whom I am currently dealing, accepted my credit card and also said that I have the choice of either paypal or a wire transfer.

@ Ray MacDonald.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok am confused now. This dealer is the only one i could find with this particular watch/model. I already offered him a transaction through Paypal, but he refused!
Is that a bad indication?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Put the purchase on hold for a little bit and tell me if you visited the watch brand's website and looked for authorized dealers around the world.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is what I did actually, kept searching all authorized dealers and this one has the watch I wanted. Why?

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is what I did actually, kept searching all authorized dealers and this one has the watch I wanted. Why?

Maybe, at this time, they were the only ones who had it in stock. If the watch is currently being made by the Brand, any dealer or theirs can order it from them. The dealer you found will not be the only ones who can get it for you. The only way you may not find it at other dealers is if the brand doesn't make it anymore and other dealers don't have any left.

Is it an older model or a limited addition?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Have you asked to pay by credit card? Even if they want to hike the price by a couple percent, that might be an alternative. It's hard to imagine a business today that can't accept either Paypal or credit cards. That said, I can envision a scenario in which I'd feel comfortable sending a bank transfer to a verifiable legitimate business. I can also see how a seller may be more strict in their policies when international sales are concerned.

Members do occasionally inquire about specific sellers, either dealers, authorized or GM, so I don't see a problem asking.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Really this. Just pay by credit card. Otherwise walk away.

Have you asked to pay by credit card? Even if they want to hike the price by a couple percent, that might be an alternative. It's hard to imagine a business today that can't accept either Paypal or credit cards. That said, I can envision a scenario in which I'd feel comfortable sending a bank transfer to a verifiable legitimate business. I can also see how a seller may be more strict in their policies when international sales are concerned.

Members do occasionally inquire about specific sellers, either dealers, authorized or GM, so I don't see a problem asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes the model is discontinued, I am tired of hiding names so the watch is Airwolf (Not Raven) and the name of the dealer is Andrew Michaels (www.andrewmichaels.co.uk).
Any one has done any transactions with them?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts