WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 2225 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I thought it might be a good idea for a thread that all of us WIS'ers here in Australia could congregate in one area to share our local finds or thoughts and general watch chit chat that might be more relevant to us Aussies :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To kick things off,

I live in Sydney so my place to go to check out any higher end watches is Sydney's cbd.
Last weekend I was on the hunt to get a competitive price on a tag heuer aquaracer calibre 5. Finding some around the 2500aud region.

Now for my question, where do you all go for best prices and deals?

I'm also travelling overseas to the US for my honeymoon in December but was wondering if my savings will be worth buying overseas or If I should buy locally from an AD and have better piece of mind.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey mate, plenty of Aussies on here. I think you will find the general consensus is that prices here really are atrocious. That said, deals can be had. I paid $4k out the door for my Pelagos, when the cheapest I could get one into the country for was $3.7k, not accounting for import duties.

I'm in Adelaide, so we only have 1 dealer for Rolex, Tudor, Breitling and Omega. A few jewelry stores have Tag, Longines, Rado, Ramond Weil, Baume and Mercier.

I can and do buy from overseas, and am not afraid to tell the local stores that when negotiating. I got an AD down to $1700 on a Longines Legend after they wouldn't budge past $2200, by showing them the price I could buy it for online.

I always thought we should have an Australian forum subsection for sharing information.

Welcome!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, thanks for the replies. I've been around for a little while but haven't seen much in the sense of a general Aussies thread.
I might tag along to the Sydney meet though.

I can't say I've actually made a local purchase in a very long time due to the prices we can all find overseas but in saying that they have been under 1k watches.
Spending more than that makes me think I should consider a local purchase for warranty purposes.

Reactions: jeffkrupa5180

·
Registered
389 Posts
To kick things off,

I live in Sydney so my place to go to check out any higher end watches is Sydney's cbd.
Last weekend I was on the hunt to get a competitive price on a tag heuer aquaracer calibre 5. Finding some around the 2500aud region.

I'm also travelling overseas to the US for my honeymoon in December but was wondering if my savings will be worth buying overseas or If I should buy locally from an AD and have better piece of mind.

I live in Sydney too before Costco opened out this way had to go to the city to see anything more than Tags.

btw, is this the one?

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Hey mate, plenty of Aussies on here. I think you will find the general consensus is that prices here really are atrocious. That said, deals can be had. I paid $4k out the door for my Pelagos, when the cheapest I could get one into the country for was $3.7k, not accounting for import duties.

I'm in Adelaide, so we only have 1 dealer for Rolex, Tudor, Breitling and Omega. A few jewelry stores have Tag, Longines, Rado, Ramond Weil, Baume and Mercier.

I can and do buy from overseas, and am not afraid to tell the local stores that when negotiating. I got an AD down to $1700 on a Longines Legend after they wouldn't budge past $2200, by showing them the price I could buy it for online.

I always thought we should have an Australian forum subsection for sharing information.

Welcome!
in the interests of parity would there not need to be also a British ,North American , Canadian ,Swiss, Polish, Dutch , South American, German, Italian , Irish and so on , you name it;-)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I had in my sights but most likely in blue

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@skorn83 & shameless
I don't know so much as a sub forum but maybe a sticky.
Possibly a sub forum for international threads and a sticky for locations within that sub forum...
All just ideas but it would good to be able to have general watch chat with people from the same part of the globe. :)

Reactions: shameless

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mexican here. Yet to buy anything special, but I tend to do most of my shopping online for reasons of price, choice and convenience. Recently landed a Victorinox Infantry automatic, retailers here want $1000. From Switzerland via the USA, all done and dusted under $500. Crazy.

I do need to try on a Sinn 103, i have no idea where to find one. If I do, and I decide to buy, I'll certainly give the shop every opportunity to get the sale; I'll even allow them a modest premium over the best deal, but I won't pay them hundreds of dollars for the service of allowing me to try a watch on.

Yes it'll be sad if online sales mean the shops all go away, but then we'll probably get better value by buying sharp and just flipping what we don't like. I won't miss the pushy salesmen and Westfield crowds.

Anyway, on that cheery note, good idea for a thread and if you know where I can find a Sinn in Melbourne let me know!

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
To kick things off,

Hi mate, i buy all my watches online from places like dutyfreeisland, skywatches, creation, im basically paying half of what i would in Oz, i just cant afford to pay our prices.

There is a high end watch store in Bondi westfields, they sell all the high end brands, sorry i cant remember the name of the place but its a big and high end, i know that its the level above bakers delight directly above bakers delight, next to the escalators, they sell Breitlings, tag, omega, rolex im pretty sure and a host of others, somebody else might be able to chime in with the name.

cheers

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi All, I'm mainly into Seikos with a sprinkling of all things old such as trench watches. Good to catch up and see what is happening over here although I'm half way to Africa. Any info on Aussie repairers with the skills of our overseas mates.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seiko's are great pieces but they are fairly overpriced here in Aus compared to overseas and online.
Thankfully I haven't had to visit a watch repairer thus far but possibly some others might be able to help out. Where in Aus are you looking for a repairer/watch maker?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I live in Brisbane and I go to uni in the city. I always go and check out Brisbane Vintage Watches. There's also quite a few dealers dotted around the city that have some big brands.

It seems we get some pretty average Seikos here, and we pay too much for 'em. I am yet to find an automatic Seiko for sale here... seriously.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey guys, I'm in Brisbane too and often check out brisbane vintage watches and a few of the other stores around the city as I live close by. Another good place is Define Watches in Bulimba they have quite a few german watch brands that you won't find anywhere else close by.

But yes agree...we pay way too much here compared to the rest of world so I often make my purchases when I'm overseas

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hi mate, i buy all my watches online from places like dutyfreeisland, skywatches, creation, im basically paying half of what i would in Oz, i just cant afford to pay our prices.

There is a high end watch store in Bondi westfields, they sell all the high end brands, sorry i cant remember the name of the place but its a big and high end, i know that its the level above bakers delight directly above bakers delight, next to the escalators, they sell Breitlings, tag, omega, rolex im pretty sure and a host of others, somebody else might be able to chime in with the name.

cheers
Gregory's in Bondi Junction? They carry Breitling, Tudor, Bremont, IWC, JLC, Omega, Cartier, Tag, SevenFriday. Off the top of my head anyway.

Reactions: jeffkrupa5180

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
Gregory's in Bondi Junction? They carry Breitling, Tudor, Bremont, IWC, JLC, Omega, Cartier, Tag, SevenFriday. Off the top of my head anyway.
Thanks mate, i think thats the one, if its in westfeilds its certainly the one as i dont think there are any others in there, all looks very upmarket, you have to knock on the door to get in, big windows full of watches, a bit high end for me but i always have a bit of a window shop walking past.
cheers

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I live in Brisbane and I go to uni in the city. I always go and check out Brisbane Vintage Watches. There's also quite a few dealers dotted around the city that have some big brands.

It seems we get some pretty average Seikos here, and we pay too much for 'em. I am yet to find an automatic Seiko for sale here... seriously.
I'm on the Gold Coast here, though my main haunt for watch browsing is Brisbane and online. BVW is amazing. If you're interested in automatic Seiko watches in Brisbane, try Val-Ray jewellers, they had quite a nice selection of Seiko 5 watches last time I was there. Wallace Bishop, and Angus & Coote also have a few.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My closest repairers are in Perth. I sent a couple to get fixed and had mixed results. I'm looking for someone who does case work and movement repairs and I'm prepared send my pieces anywhere.
Cheers,
Brian

1 - 20 of 2225 Posts