WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost as a reverse followup to the other thread, where does one sell his AD purchased Sub? The AD won't give much for a perfect condition watch that he sold me. I see the same and older watches selling on Ebay for very high prices. With all the frauds out there, I'm afraid if I sell it, either some thief will pay with a fake money order, stolen credit card, or have the insides removed and then claim I sold him a fake! If I try to sell it locally, I've heard stories of people being robbed at the meet. I know the meet should take place at a police station maybe or maybe at an AD. I know I must sound paranoid but just dealing with Ebayer's over $5.00 items can be such a hassle, I know dealing with people over $5000 might be a nightmare. Any suggestions? Dean

·
Registered
348 Posts
Almost as a reverse followup to the other thread, where does one sell his AD purchased Sub? The AD won't give much for a perfect condition watch that he sold me. I see the same and older watches selling on Ebay for very high prices. With all the frauds out there, I'm afraid if I sell it, either some thief will pay with a fake money order, stolen credit card, or have the insides removed and then claim I sold him a fake! If I try to sell it locally, I've heard stories of people being robbed at the meet. I know the meet should take place at a police station maybe or maybe at an AD. I know I must sound paranoid but just dealing with Ebayer's over $5.00 items can be such a hassle, I know dealing with people over $5000 might be a nightmare. Any suggestions? Dean
Accept only Paypal, take some pics before you send it, and clearly state that all sales are final.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accept only Paypal, take some pics before you send it, and clearly state that all sales are final.
Does Paypal offer some kind of fraud protection? I'm just a fellow who bought a Rolex. I have no way to study the inards of it if the scammer did something to them. What a world we live in. :) I would think that it might make for a very difficult sale if I sold it this way, no? I know I would be very suspicious of the seller if I was the buyer. I suppose some kind of meet at an AD to authenticate it might be a good idea? Of course the sale would have to be local.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Take Paypal and accept only credit cards. That way you have protection with Paypal AND your CC company. There really *shouldn't* be a problem that way. Never accept a MO or wire, and don't ship to Nigeria. Good luck! :-!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Does Paypal offer some kind of fraud protection? I'm just a fellow who bought a Rolex. I have no way to study the inards of it if the scammer did something to them. What a world we live in. :) I would think that it might make for a very difficult sale if I sold it this way, no? I know I would be very suspicious of the seller if I was the buyer. I suppose some kind of meet at an AD to authenticate it might be a good idea? Of course the sale would have to be local.
There are various Paypal seller protection benefits it would be best for you to check out the paypal website for specifics. Also, check out eBay and read about the seller process. Remember, there are tons of expensive items sold on eBay daily inluding cars and collector's items that cost WAAAY more than a couple of thousand dollars. I've been an active eBay buyer/seller since 1999 and would feel totally comfortable selling a Rolex on the site. I have also bought a couple of items that cost several thousand dollars with no problems.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Don't start out dealing on ebay with a $4k+ watch! You need to spend a couple years on there with the low dollar stuff so you know the process inside out. I have been on there sense 99' and only recently felt comfortable dealing in multiple thousand dollar items. Plus if you are a seller with low feedback you loose a lot of potential buyers like me who specifically avoid new sellers, just not worth the hassle.

Whats the word for someone selling something for you? There are plenty of jewelry agencies that sell other peoples pieces for a commission. You benefit as they bring an audience, safe transaction and even after commission losses a higher price than you might get going it alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts