WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have this great G-Lide DW 9000 :-!

I picked it up of the Bay for a very good price as it was looking particularly miserable and dead in the photos, obviously a bad case of Back of the Draw Syndrome, but this morning it arrived and after first attacking it with a toothbrush and soap, I then followed on with a visit to the "How To" section where I carefully followed the instructions and did my first battery change!

.... Whooopeeeee, it now works perfectly and looks virtually brand new, as you can see from the photos. I wouldn't have had the faintest what to do if it hadn't have been for the article, so well done Sjors ! :-! I can now pop round to Westward Ho! beach and hang out with the surfing dudes ..... :-d

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I had a similar model. I think, if you look at the LCD just above where the month is displayed in timekeeping...when you go to the stopwatch it says "Surfing" or something similar?

Very cool find, and congrats on 'saving' it :-!.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Topher, :-! Yes in fact I've just downloaded the instructions and am having a fiddle with all the settings, the " Surfing " comes on with the Countdown Timer and of course it has the G-Lide on the backlight,

I'm really starting to like these old G's they have a lot of character.:)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Seems that everyone gets one of these after about 5 G-Shocks! Not sure how many your on now Mike but it seems to part of the G-Shock collecting evolution of - basic, G-lide, vintage, Master, Limited edition, Frogman, seiko, Citizen and back to G-Shock but focusing on quality rather than quantity! At least thats how mine went.

I saw it on ebay, good buy, looks a lot better now!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems that everyone gets one of these after about 5 G-Shocks! Not sure how many your on now Mike but it seems to part of the G-Shock collecting evolution of - basic, G-lide, vintage, Master, Limited edition, Frogman, seiko, Citizen and back to G-Shock but focusing on quality rather than quantity! At least thats how mine went.

I saw it on ebay, good buy, looks a lot better now!
I'm trying not to count, to be honest Hoochy or I'll be on a guilt trip ... :-s ..... the thing is, I've already done the Seiko and Citizen bit, so I'll probably keep on with the Gs, I'm really starting to like the older ones, they seem to have got lots of character.

I probably won't do the Frogman bit though, one of those is about as useful to me as a bicycle is to a fish ......... :-d

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks like brand new. very very awesome job u did there. very impressive. good clean up. i like ppl with clean watches.
To be honest, it was very satisfying cleaning it up and getting it working again, I could get to enjoy doing that to a few. :-!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Also congrats on the battery change, although relatively simple it's daunting at first. Once you are confident you can do it, it will save you a fortune and the hassle of going to a jewelers!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's unbelievably beautiful!:p

I just checked G-SHOCK Perfect Search on the official website. DW-9000 has been out of production since 1997. Why didn't its bezel turn yellow?:think:
Well, when I did the reset for the battery it said 1993 on the date so that is presumably the real age of the module at least. I think the way that the colour has been preserved so well is probably due to it literally being put in a draw and in the dark, which probably goes to show that at least some of the usual discolouration, through age, is due to U.V. light. .......:think: ...... well that's my theory and the colour does look remarkably fresh, it looks great :-!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't think discoloration happens as much with co,loured bezels, more with the clear ones.
That is such a bad news. Now I don't have any excuse NOT to get a jelly G. :-(
They are so perfect as summer watches.

Well, when I did the reset for the battery it said 1993 on the date so that is presumably the real age of the module at least. I think the way that the colour has been preserved so well is probably due to it literally being put in a draw and in the dark, which probably goes to show that at least some of the usual discolouration, through age, is due to U.V. light. .......:think: ...... well that's my theory and the colour does look remarkably fresh, it looks great :-!
1993!
I've seen some more recent modules turn not just yellow, but brown.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts