WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching for my first Panerai, my initial thoughts are for a 312, but because it is out of production, obviously only a pre-owned one would be possible.

What are your thoughts on procuring a pre-owned Panerai, (not necessarily the 312), if the seller cannot provide the box and papers.

As this will be an expensive purchase, your input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
usually when buying a watch without box and paper, it's market price is a few hundred bucks lower (which works in your favor) than the watch with all the goodies.
quite frankly i don't see a value in box and papers (i would think certificate for L.E pieces is important ) .
first of all you won't be wearing the Box. 2nd you don't need a manual to set your watch. and lastly the warranty card is useless after 2 years of ownership.
if you can get a sweet deal on that 312. go for it provided it's authentic, otherwise if the price is too low or too good to be true. walk away.
best of luck

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the comments. I agree that most boxes get put aside after they arrive, and that the cost without box is usually cheaper. Does the papers / warranty card not give the buyer a greater guarantee on the authenticity of the watch.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting the box and papers will make it easier for you to flip the watch down the road.
Agreed, but I don't flip any purchases, they will eventually go to my son who is interested in watches, but at this stage with a young family does not have the funds to spend on watches. So any problem with possible resales will be his not mine.

Reactions: JCB43

·
Registered
14 Posts
The lack of boxes & papers aren't a bad thing. Have purchased a number of watches without them.

The biggest with concern with Panerai is their authenticity, which boxes & papers would support if it is real or not. This isn't a fullproof method as you'd still want an expert to look over the watch and verify it.

If it all checks out, congrats and enjoy it!

·
Registered
20,501 Posts
Personal choice.

My choice is that I will never buy a Rolex or Panerai without papers and correct boxes and packaging to verify authenticity.

There are just too many fakes out there.

Matching numbers on good papers is too expensive for the Chinese to fake.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Regardless of box and papers rule #1 applies to buy the seller before you buy the watch.

If I trust the buyer I’m good with saving a few bucks.

That being said, Without box and papers I would “like” service papers.....unless we’re talking vintage but that is entirely different conversation

·
Registered
68 Posts
Buy the seller , prefer full set .. , but if only 2 box , inside box , case box ... still ok ...320 or 321 ok I thought ..poisoning you lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve purchased both with full set and without and have found the full set is selling for anywhere from 15-25% higher than without. Just my experience, but as others have said “buy the seller.”

And while you may not plan on flipping, after a bit you often get that urge for something new and different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For Panerai I would always buy with box and papers only. Way too many fakes for PAM's out there and if for whatever reason you do decide to sell in the future you will be taking a large hit and also have trouble selling without them. Good luck

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1 for full set for Panerai. There are too many good fakes of Panerai watches floating around. You can even buy fake boxes, "papers" and, even, COSC certs.

I would also stay away from buying ANY used Panerai without an exhibition case back. At least when you see the movement you can easily compare it to the movement pics posted on Panerai website. If the movements look identical, you are most likely OK.

How do I know? I purchased a fake Panerai (or two) and the seller claimed it to be real. Here is my writeup on what to look for:
https://forums.watchuseek.com/f75/panerai-real-thread-802260-189.html#post45192111

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’ve purchased both with full set and without and have found the full set is selling for anywhere from 15-25% higher than without. Just my experience, but as others have said “buy the seller.”

And while you may not plan on flipping, after a bit you often get that urge for something new and different.
totally agree with thjs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
totally agree with thjs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But if you buy without box and papers it would be reasonable to expect that your discount in purchase price translates straight through to sale making it a wash. Now if you buy but lose your box and papers that's a different story...
That said all my PAMs have B&P because I enjoy them :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts