WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I got my m310s (8169.310), I kept my eyes on 819.310, the Rolex sub homage watch with ST21 movement.

But I chosen the 8160.310 cause the original design is more interesting for me. However the ST6 Rolex sub homage picture from Ron's museum never go out of my mind.

http://www.rongood.net/amch/Chinese_Mechanical_Watches/index.htm?83_M

I love the Mercedes hand and the logo which disappeared in modern SEA-GULL. A taobao seller (who is also my friend now :-!) collected all parts of the ST6 in several months and finally assembled a new ST6-D3 for me. :-!

Here are pictures

zoom it in

zoom it in

shinning gold, LOL!

zoom it in

3D logo

zoom it in

lume still works but I do not know how to shoot lume in my canon IXUS IIs

zoom it in

original bucket

zoom it in

case back

zoom it in

The watch is rough a little bit cause all parts was built long time ago (20 or 30 years), but it does not matter.

The surprise is its incredible accuracy, runs +9 seconds in 72 hours.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,352 Posts
The two-tone versions are very hard to find. I look every day for another one.

These are very nicely built watches.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I love it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agree, especially for original parts (case, dial, hand, etc.). Ron, do you have any picture of the two-tone version you are looking for? I could ask the taobao seller to keep his eyes open for it.

The two-tone versions are very hard to find. I look every day for another one.

These are very nicely built watches.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
:thanks for compliments guys.

My next vintage SEA-GULL would be a ST5, saw many extremely elegant ST5 pictures in the forum these days. Is it a ST5 wave? Anyway I just can not escape from this wave :roll:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Testdig,
I just wonder what is the different between the ST6 and ST6-D3 (with date?), do you have a picture of the movement. I thought the ST6 was developed for lady watch :think:

The reason I am asking because I got a ST6 upcoming but in the latest format. It is the 55th Anniversary special watch. I just love the dial and the classic looks:), it has a two tone finish and decorative movement. |>|>|>

Pictures from Seagull

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,352 Posts
Testdig,
I just wonder what is the different between the ST6 and ST6-D3 (with date?),
This from the WIKI might help:

ST6 - 3 sub-families:
  • Woman-size automatic, hand-wind or hand-wind skeleton
  • Man-size automatic, with various calendar and 24-hour/day-night display options
  • Hand-wind, rectangular form-movement with open heart
Their other response to quartz competition was slightly controversial, although by no means unique in the Chinese watch industry. Mechanical watches were still competitive against quartz on some markets so long as they were self-winding and not too expensive e.g. Seiko 5. The calibre ST6D was based on the woman's watch calibre ST6, but with an over sized dial plate supporting a calendar mechanism big enough for a man-sized watch. An auto-winding module was installed with a large diameter rotor. The result was low-cost and of reasonable quality, albeit somewhat fragile.

In spite of the factory being given self-management of their export program in 1988, Sea-Gull watches remained obscure on most markets. However the factory realized that there was a ready market for cheap automatic movement for foreign watch assemblers, particularly in Hong Kong. As the 'quartz revolution' peaked, the 'mechanical renaissance' began, with mechanical watches slowly gaining popularity in the developed world, this time not in the mainstream, but as a niche market. This was fertile ground for the makers of counterfeits of famous brands like Rolex and Omega. Sadly a large proportion of ST6D movements have found their way into fakes over the years.

In 1990 the Tianjin Watch Factory was promoted to a national level enterprise, and in 1992, the Tianjin Sea-Gull Corporation was set up. In that year the decision was made to cease production of mechanical watches in favor of quartz watches. However just five years later the decision was reversed and the company committed to only make mechanical movements! The current success of the company is testament to the wisdom of this decision.

In 2000 the Sea-Gull Group was floated on the stock market. In 2001 watchmaking enterprises were acquired in Dalian and Yantai, and in Shijiazhuang in 2003. A Sea-Gull branch was established in Hong Kong that year to manage the export market. Movement manufacturing remains in Tianjin.

As successful as the ST6D has been, it was something of a stop-gap, so a new all-purpose base calibre was developed in 1997. The calibre ST16...

More at the WIKI...

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
That anniversary model is sweet! and Seagull quality should make it a keeper. I still have my first Chinese watch gifted to me ...the ST5D...classic old style but solid !!!
BTW, that 2 toned rolex hommage is cute too!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.