WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been looking at a range of Watches branded as WM of Switzerland on ideal world shopping channel in the UK. One of these pieces was an auto chronograph called Grand Prix. The movement through the glass back looked like a Val 7750. The presenter claimed that this was a swiss made watch, the price was £249.95. I just wonder about the validity of the swiss made claim, as the price seemed to be far too low for a swiss watch of this type. I have never seen an auto chronograph anywhere near this price here in the UK. Could this be another Chinese watch with a fancy swiss pretentions?:think:

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
While I am not sure of that brand. You have to be careful of internet brands who give elebrate stories that imply that they are swiss made while they are usually chinese brands.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here you go RD...
This page explains alot!
http://www.wmswitzerland.com/en/history.asp

:thanks It says that they moved their factory out of Switzerland, but does'nt say where to?

So the swiss made claim is totally bogus as I suspected. Goes to show,you can easily get hoodwinked if you're not very careful.

Just wonder how many people have just been fooled by the channels lies?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
:thanks It says that they moved their factory out of Switzerland, but does'nt say where to?

So the swiss made claim is totally bogus as I suspected. Goes to show,you can easily get hoodwinked if you're not very careful.
3 guesses where they moved all that swiss machinery and those engineers to :-d :oops: ;-) :-d

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
That's a great find there though RD!
About the "ballsiest" Swiss "heritage" ripoffs I've seen I think!
"WM of Tianjin" would have been closer to "truth in advertising" me thinks...lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: WM of Switzerland

Funny this came up.

I received a WM of Switzerland watch for christmas from my son. He is not a watch enthusiast and I believe he thought he was buying a "fine" swiss watch.

The watch is stamped "made in China" as is the box etc. The only place "switzerland" appears is in the logo.

I was a bit offended that a company can get away with this bull#%&t and dupe an unsuspecting buyer.

Discrecion being the better part of valor, I thanked my son for the watch and will wear it occasionally. It is not a bad looking watch and the fit and finish is good. I just don't like that my son was "taken" I have no idea what he paid, but it was probably too much

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: WM of Switzerland

Funny this came up.

I received a WM of Switzerland watch for christmas from my son. He is not a watch enthusiast and I believe he thought he was buying a "fine" swiss watch.

The watch is stamped "made in China" as is the box etc. The only place "switzerland" appears is in the logo.

I was a bit offended that a company can get away with this bull#%&t and dupe an unsuspecting buyer.

Discrecion being the better part of valor, I thanked my son for the watch and will wear it occasionally. It is not a bad looking watch and the fit and finish is good. I just don't like that my son was "taken" I have no idea what he paid, but it was probably too much

Wonder which model it is Bill?

By the way, one of the Watches on TV actually said swiss made on the caseback.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: WM Model I received

The box sticker says WM950
Tourbillon Styl Wtch

Paperwork says it's a TONNEAU TOURBILLON

Automatic 35 jewel mechanical movement, see through back, waterproof to 3 ATM

It is a tank style watch with date and two sub dials for day of the week and month. The crown sets the time and there are three recessed pushbuttons to change date, day, and month

It says WM of Switzerland on the face and all over the presentation case and paperwork. It's a blatant attempt to dupe an unsuspecting buyer.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Re: WM Model I received

The box sticker says WM950
Tourbillon Styl Wtch

Paperwork says it's a TONNEAU TOURBILLON

Automatic 35 jewel mechanical movement, see through back, waterproof to 3 ATM

It is a tank style watch with date and two sub dials for day of the week and month. The crown sets the time and there are three recessed pushbuttons to change date, day, and month

It says WM of Switzerland on the face and all over the presentation case and paperwork. It's a blatant attempt to dupe an unsuspecting buyer.

I saw the Watch you have on TV last night, I had the idea it was Chinese when I saw the way that the the balance wheel was mounted, it looks very similar the Alpha Tourbillon Watch I bought some time ago on eBay for about £30. Your Watch is on the WM web-site for $455, I think the price on TV was a little lower. i must say though, it looked a nice Watch, and was quite large.

The thing that amused me, was the fact that the presenter on the TV channel was British, the representertive from the Watch Company was Spanish, and the Watches they were selling which were made out to be Swiss, were actually Chinese.:-s :-d

Attachments

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
No english version?
Did they move their swiss machines and engineers also?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My name is Dieter Stockalper, and I work in WM of Switzerland.

First of all, if anyone has any questions about the company or the watches themselves, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

I would like to clarify some doubts that some of you may have.
1. WM of Switzerland is a family Swiss company.
2. WM of Switzerland used to manufacture 100% Swiss watches, but today, due to the marketing positioning of the company, we manufacture 100% Swiss Made models and also, non Swiss Made watches with german, italian, and chinese machinery. All our designs are ours.
3. Why do we also manufacure non Swiss Made watches?
Some of our potential customers, like our designs but do not want to pay the hight ticker price for a Swiss movement. Thus, we manufacture the watch with a non Swiss movement. For example, Sharper Image is selling the WM Tonneau Tourbillon with a Chinese movement although the design is 100% Swiss. The same watch we advertise online and which is selling throughout Europe, is 100% Swiss.
4. Finally, the Spanish spokesman that was on TV the other day in Idea World - UK, is our head of marketing, which happens to be a Spaniard.
5. Our head office is in Bettlach, Switzerland.

We're aware that there are many companies selling non Swiss watches and advertise them as Swiss Made watches. We are definitely not the case. If we sell watch, we specificaly state if it is Swiss or not. We do not hide from the truth. We specialize in quality watches at affordable prices, and sometimes, this means we have to use a non Swiss machinery.

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Dieter

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Mr. Stockalper.
Our members own and appreciate many watches of Asian manufacture, this isn't a problem.
I really find it hard to believe however when the NAME of the watch is "WM of SWITZERLAND" that your employer's strategy isn't largely depending on duping the average consumer into believing he's buying a swiss made watch.
I would suggest a different name for the asian models, or "Made in China" on the bottom of the dial.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just have to ask everyone if they can just quickly give some differences of a swiss and chinese movement, since I was considering buying a Tonneau Tourbillon from sharper image....

Thanks.

Mico

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
The Sharper Image watch is not a real Tourbillion. It is just an open heart model that more than likely came from Millionsmart, well at least the movement. That open heart design is a favorite of various Chinese watch companies. A lot of Chinese movements will have the day/month indicator along with a 24 sub-dial or day/night indicator.

Alot of Ebay brands and brands like Louis Bolle use the same Chinese movements that come from various Chinese manufacturers. The Chinese watch forum is a great place to start when trying to figure out Chinese movements.

I have a watch from Seagull and have had no issues with it yet. I knew it was all Chinese because of the Chinese writing on the dial.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The Sharper Image watch is not a real Tourbillion. It is just an open heart model that more than likely came from Millionsmart, well at least the movement. That open heart design is a favorite of various Chinese watch companies. A lot of Chinese movements will have the day/month indicator along with a 24 sub-dial or day/night indicator.

Alot of Ebay brands and brands like Louis Bolle use the same Chinese movements that come from various Chinese manufacturers. The Chinese watch forum is a great place to start when trying to figure out Chinese movements.

I have a watch from Seagull and have had no issues with it yet. I knew it was all Chinese because of the Chinese writing on the dial.

It bugs the hell out of me how all the ebay brands with an open heart sya that they are Tourbillion. A real functioning Tourbillion is a marvelous mechanism and the price reflects accordingly. Look up Patek-Phillipe Tourbillion and see what a real tourbillion is.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am able to buy the WM Tourbillon watch from Sharper image for about $100. I was wondering if you guys think that at this price it is still worth it...... right now I believe it's on sale for 199 normal price is 399. But with gift cards I will only fork out $100 cash. Any suggestions.... whether this watch is still worth the price of $100.

Thank You all!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts