WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get my girlfriend a watch soon. Her and I love the look of the Chanel J12, but at ~$3,500 it's way out of range. (I need to be the first to have a ~$3000+ watch!!:)) I'm looking for something similar in design/materials/look. It doesn't have to be ceramic, but that's a plus.

So pretty much - white, Chanel like, under $300

Anyone know of anything?

Thanks for the help!

p.s. I'm new to the forum - but within 2 days of registering, I've already bought two watches - an Invicta "Pepsi" diver and a Black Monster. Brings my collection to 5 total - and I don't think it's going to stop anytime soon.
Good to be here!

·
Registered
424 Posts
if you are ok with those fashion watches that they sell in girl shops like guess, mango etc. you should be fine. two years ago i was in the same dilemma as you, i ended getting her a white technomarine watch, with discount it was about $300

good luck

·
Registered
878 Posts
How about a Michele. I know it's a fashion watch but I see alot of woman wearing them. There are many on the net or e-bay in the 800-1000 $ range w/ diamonds.

Some do have saph. crystals, swiss movements and it is easy to switch straps since they have quick release pins, so you can give the watch different looks.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Not sure if this appeals to you, but I bought my girlfriend a watch at Nordstrom's- I don't think it was a Toy Watch, but of that genre. It has a leopard print dial with clear plastic case/bracelet with fake diamond bezel. It's a quartz and it cost around 270$- something like that. It is a LOT of fun. She loves it, and wears it exclusively these days, even though I've given her "nicer" watches. She gets asked about it constantly, too. If you have greater interest, send me a pm.

Good luck.

Rick.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a pretty strong opinion about over priced fashion watches on the market.Ive sold several high end fashion watch lines in the past and found that they are not worth the money long term.Its my opinion that Michele is way over priced for a trend watch as is lines like Toy watch ect.I would take my $300.00 and look at watch companies like Seiko, Citizen or ESQ that have proven records for longevity.They copy famous designers and you may find a look-a-like watch from Chanel...keep in mind that fashion in fickle and getting your girl friend a colored watch limits her wearing time to certain times of the year(white for spring or summer)and will go out in a few seasons and will sit in the jewelry box after that.I would look at the stainless styles that look like Chanel's big square watches on link bracelet that are sleek looking but can be worn with jeans.If she still wants the Casual Divers style then go on line and buy a fun (and cheap)plastic diver style under $50.00 that will last a few seasons and then continue to look for a quality watch for her.Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That's pretty good advice, Jewelerman, I have to admit. But you aren't talking about my gf's leopard-dialed plastic bracelet watch when you refer to overpriced fashion watches, are you?

:::removes gauntlet:::

<slap>

<slap> (other side)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have a pretty strong opinion about over priced fashion watches on the market.Ive sold several high end fashion watch lines in the past and found that they are not worth the money long term.Its my opinion that Michele is way over priced for a trend watch as is lines like Toy watch ect.I would take my $300.00 and look at watch companies like Seiko, Citizen or ESQ that have proven records for longevity.They copy famous designers and you may find a look-a-like watch from Chanel...keep in mind that fashion in fickle and getting your girl friend a colored watch limits her wearing time to certain times of the year(white for spring or summer)and will go out in a few seasons and will sit in the jewelry box after that.I would look at the stainless styles that look like Chanel's big square watches on link bracelet that are sleek looking but can be worn with jeans.If she still wants the Casual Divers style then go on line and buy a fun (and cheap)plastic diver style under $50.00 that will last a few seasons and then continue to look for a quality watch for her.Good Luck!
My limited knowledge of women's fashion aside, I would echo this. My wife's jewlery armoire is full dead soldiers like Gucci, Ann Klein, Brighton and numerous names and initials I've never heard of.... The humanity!!! Batteries dead (or worse) and no hope of ever being on a wrist again. She's wearing Michael something or other now.... for now. I doubt anyone making the designer stuff expects it to make it more than a few seasons.

jwjulian

I would say it depends on how long you expect her to wear it. If you can spend $300.00 and not look back for a watch that may make 1 or 2 seasons, you can go the designer route. If your expecting something that will last longer, I'd look at Seiko, Citizen or a Swiss brand (that may take you above $300) that has a good reputation for quality and an affordable watch.

My take anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts