WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a very happy boy today. My new Oris Prodiver Kittiwake LE (#331/500) just arrived about 10 minutes ago (I've wanted one ever since diving the Kittiwake wreck in Grand Cayman last year).... so, of course, the first thing I did was slap it into my Timegrapher.

Wow... did I ever win the Lotto. Only one position tested so far and it's bang on, +-0 secs with 0 beat error. That's the best I've ever seen from any of my watches, including chronometers costing 3-4 times more.

It's really interesting when you put watches on a Timegrapher and see what they do. Some watches are all over the map when you change the position and take several minutes to settle down. Some run fast for a minute, then slow for a minute, then fast again. Very few are rock solid from the moment you put them on the machine or each time you change position. This one is absolutely rock solid, with no deviation after moving it. It locked right in immediately at 0 sec/day and didn't budge. I am completely impressed with this movement (Sellita SW 200-1 based). Who would have thought an ETA 2824-2 clone would be so accurate.

Anyway... back to my testing, then on to sizing the bracelet. What a beautiful watch :-!

1st test_s.jpg

·
Registered
29,096 Posts
Yes they should be standard issue when purchasing a watch..........

Very cool tool.

·
Seiko, Cartier Moderator
2,592 Posts
I really need to buy a timegrapher! Considering the amount of money I spend on watches themselves a timegrapher is a bargain.

Put the results up for different positions please!

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Put the results up for different positions please!
Here you go. Average error in six positions was +1.2 s/d. Fantastic performance. I couldn't be happier with this one.

Interestingly, the only other watches I have that perform this well are another Oris (Maldives LE diver) which tested at a six position average error of 0.0 secs/day (tested 0.0 in three of the six positions), and a Hamilton Aviation QNE that tested at -0.2 s/d average. All of my significantly more expensive watches from such players as Rolex, Breitling and Panerai were off the mark, with the exception of my Cuervo y Sobrinos Historiador Semanal that tested at 1.5 s/d.

I'll never buy a watch from an A.D. again without taking in my Timegrapher and cherry picking the best of the bunch of what I'm in the market for.

ERRORAMPLITUDEBEAT
POSITION(secs/day)
(degrees)
ERROR (ms)
Face Up02990.0
Face Down+23080.1
3 Up+32840.1
9 Up+32880.1
12 Up+12910.0
6 Up-22920.1
Avg. Error
+1.2

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Timegraphers are awesome! I wish I had one. It looks like you really lucked on with your Oris being spot on in accuracy! Congrats!

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is great! thanks for the website address to purchase it from.. I see only 46 are left in stock. Me thinks I better hurry up and buy one before they get sold out.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Time for a wrist picture with the bracelet sized..!
Enjoy your Kittiwake! Oris divers are excellent, aren't they? :-!

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,041 Posts
Cool. It would be interesting to compare your average of spot observations with the average daily error over several days of wearing the watch.

BTW I'm an Oris fan with two of them.

Here you go. Average error in six positions was +1.2 s/d. Fantastic performance. I couldn't be happier with this one.

Interestingly, the only other watches I have that perform this well are another Oris (Maldives LE diver) which tested at a six position average error of 0.0 secs/day (tested 0.0 in three of the six positions), and a Hamilton Aviation QNE that tested at -0.2 s/d average. All of my significantly more expensive watches from such players as Rolex, Breitling and Panerai were off the mark, with the exception of my Cuervo y Sobrinos Historiador Semanal that tested at 1.5 s/d.

I'll never buy a watch from an A.D. again without taking in my Timegrapher and cherry picking the best of the bunch of what I'm in the market for.

ERROR
AMPLITUDE
BEAT
POSITION
(secs/day)

(degrees)

ERROR (ms)
Face Up
Face Down
+2
3 Up
+3
9 Up
+3
12 Up
+1
6 Up
Avg. Error

+1.2

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool. It would be interesting to compare your average of spot observations with the average daily error over several days of wearing the watch.

BTW I'm an Oris fan with two of them.
In fact, that's exactly what you need to do in order to dial a watch in as accurately as possible. Because watches generally perform differently on the wrist, you want to wear a watch for several days to get an average 'real' measurement of wear error. If the real measurement says it's running three seconds fast, but the spot measurement in a certain position says 10 seconds fast, then you need to regulate it to get the spot measurement down to the +7 second level. That should usually get the real world error very close to zero.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts