WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that my vision isn't always up to the task of tinkering with this tiny stuff, and I might benefit from a little magification while doing light work on straps, etc. I've seen mags that attach to glasses (I wear glasses), perhaps other methods? What do you all use for magnification help as needed? Thanks. John

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
My dad is always working on fishing reels. (Replacing the bearings and such) On his desk he has a magnifying glass about 8" in diameter that has a fluorescent light around it. It's mounted to the desk on a moveable arm like one of theose old desk lamps that would clamp to the desk. Just manuever it over what you are working on and turn on the light if you need it. - David

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Hey John.......................

All us old folks need one of these. Also, here are the cigar humidors I mentioned earlier. Good luck with the eyes! David

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
If you regularly wear glasses then this would be the way to go:

Otherwise, I find the standard 4X loupe the most useful:

These can all be found at ofrei.com or any jeweler tools/supply shop

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Old guy like you......

prolly needs a telescope to see some of those small watch parts.
Bald and gray(what hair you got left)and blind too. Well, If you
like timepieces, and I know you do, try a grandather clock. Big
parts, big gears and wheels. Ought to work perfect. Give it a
try. No need to thank me for the useful advice, it will come in handy
in your retirement. Good luck!
jim

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Old guy like you......

Now this is too funny, yet has something of the ring of truth to it... :-d
The idea of an articulated extension arm illuminated magnifier sounds pretty good. Might have to check out the humidors too - I'm gonna have to come up with a box that keeps and organizes these parts and tools - and if it has a top layer that holds a dozen watches above a couple drawers with compartments, all the better. John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts