WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like using the world time feature on my G-Shocks.

Why? I keep them all set to Tokyo time because I like to know when the JDM G-Shock sellers are starting their work day. I like to think of them waking up, checking their email and saying (in Japanese, of course), "Ah, James needs another watch. Let's get right to it!" ;-)

Do you use the world time feature on your Gs? If so, to what zone do you set it and why?

And if not, why not?

Humorous anecdotes welcome. ;-)

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Regularly use world time and it is the #1 feature I need outside of current time.

in the automotive retail/service business so regularly calling mainland banks or warranty companies for approvals. Depending on who I really need to contact the next morning (east coast is done for us at 11 am usually, etc) I set the watch up to wear the night before.

Equally, we regularly have customers from Guam, Phillipines, Japan, Australia or Korea and will contact them to arrange everything for when they come on island.

Of course I also use it to see when is appropriate to contact Seiya and Yohei

sent with aloha

·
Premium Member
9,011 Posts

Why? I keep them all set to Tokyo time because I like to know when the JDM G-Shock sellers are starting their work day. I like to think of them waking up, checking their email and saying (in Japanese, of course), "Ah, James needs another watch. Let's get right to it!" ;-)

Do you use the world time feature on your Gs? If so, to what zone do you set it and why?

And if not, why not?

lol Yeah, I always use the feature, and normally set it to Tokyo time also for pretty much the same reason as you. I typically want to know when they might be handling my order, shipping my watch, etc. ;-)

Reactions: James142

·
Registered
767 Posts
Tend to do the same mate although after doing a bit of travelling over the last two years the WT have been based on location or home depending on where I was at the time.

Now I am back home most WT's are Tokyo time.

Sent from my...

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
For my G's, I have the world time set to Honolulu (my local time) and the home time set to Tokyo. The reason being is that for some reason, I am able to catch the Japan atomic transmitters. I am now only buying G's that have atomic and world time swapping capabilities. By using the world time swapping feature, I am able to benefit from atomic sync in such a remote location as Hawaii. : )

·
Registered
556 Posts
I also have my world time set to Honolulu. I have an old friend that moved there and she got really pissed when I called her at 3 in the morning...

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,350 Posts
I have mine set to Japan (TYO). I'm like James. I want to know the approximate times at which Seiya-san wakes and goes to bed for optimal purchase timing. ;)

Reactions: James142

·
Registered
550 Posts
Home for me is Minnesota, but I lived in Switzerland for 5 years. So I always set WT to Central European Time [Berlin, Paris, Rome] to remind me of those wonderful years.

If I die and go to heaven [the first is quite likely, the second not so much], it will be a step down from Switzerland.

Traveling to Beijing and Hong Kong next April, so I'll get to test out another atomic clock [so far, have had occasion to use US, Germany, England, and Japan...come to think of it, because Japan has two, this is the last of the MultiBand 6 spots].

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it might be nice to do a little survey...there are always threads on individual models ["Show me your Rangeman," et al.], but how many folks have run the board on MultiBand 6?

And if not, why not?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I don't literally think about the JDM sellers doing that. Derp. ;-)

But I do like to time my clicking the "buy" button to minimize potential delay in order processing.

For example, right now is 7:37 AM Tokyo time. If I were buying today, I'd want to get on it fast to make sure it gets handled today. Or ... er, tomorrow. You know what I mean.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I use World Time set to UTC and have memorized the most other time zones I may want to know by either adding or subtracting. It is not exactly a demanding task to memorize locations. :)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For my G's, I have the world time set to Honolulu (my local time) and the home time set to Tokyo. The reason being is that for some reason, I am able to catch the Japan atomic transmitters. I am now only buying G's that have atomic and world time swapping capabilities. By using the world time swapping feature, I am able to benefit from atomic sync in such a remote location as Hawaii. : )
That's cool that you can get the atomic signal from Japan like that. Good use for the world time feature.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also have my world time set to Honolulu. I have an old friend that moved there and she got really pissed when I called her at 3 in the morning...
Not waking up a friend in the middle of the night is definitely a good reason to use the world time feature. ;-)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love Switzerland! Do you know a little Alpine town called Grindelwald? It's surrounded by the Eiger, Jungfrau, and Wetterhorn. Been there a couple of times. It is kind of heavenly, now that you mention it. The cows up there eat grass that looks like gourmet salad, and the dairy is on another level: chocolate, yogurt, etc. The watches aren't bad, either.

As for the Multiband 6, I have so far only used the Fort Collins transmitter, but I'd like to add some more in the coming years.

Home for me is Minnesota, but I lived in Switzerland for 5 years. So I always set WT to Central European Time [Berlin, Paris, Rome] to remind me of those wonderful years.

If I die and go to heaven [the first is quite likely, the second not so much], it will be a step down from Switzerland.

Traveling to Beijing and Hong Kong next April, so I'll get to test out another atomic clock [so far, have had occasion to use US, Germany, England, and Japan...come to think of it, because Japan has two, this is the last of the MultiBand 6 spots].

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it might be nice to do a little survey...there are always threads on individual models ["Show me your Rangeman," et al.], but how many folks have run the board on MultiBand 6?

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the option is only local time and world time, I'd set the world time to UTC. Now that I mostly use a watch that has T1, T2 and WT, I've set the T2 to NYC for some reason and WT to UTC. Atleast that way I can get an idea what the time is overseas. Usually the times on amateur radio world are displayed in UTC, so it's quite handy to have UTC on your wrist too, even though it's not that far away from the usual Finnish time of GMT +2/+3

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Sadly, I never use the World time feature... I'd like to travel a lot and having close friends around the world but I don't. Anyway when I like to know what (approximate) time is in other countries I don't wear a G-Shock but the wn-1:

Not very practical, I know, but it's somewhat cooler than any kind of worldtime function, because I see how Earth is placed respect to the sun...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've been there, but I don't know that area terrifically well...it's about two hours southwest of where I lived.

Just looked at the photos available on Google Maps...Grindelwald is beautiful! Then again, that isn't distinctive :)

I'll have to go back to check it out. Cheers.

I love Switzerland! Do you know a little Alpine town called Grindelwald? It's surrounded by the Eiger, Jungfrau, and Wetterhorn. Been there a couple of times. It is kind of heavenly, now that you mention it. The cows up there eat grass that looks like gourmet salad, and the dairy is on another level: chocolate, yogurt, etc. The watches aren't bad, either.

As for the Multiband 6, I have so far only used the Fort Collins transmitter, but I'd like to add some more in the coming years.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well, if you're going to hang in one place, Italy isn't a bad place to do it :) Beautiful, beautiful country.

Ciao.

Sadly, I never use the World time feature... I'd like to travel a lot and having close friends around the world but I don't. Anyway when I like to know what (approximate) time is in other countries I don't wear a G-Shock but the wn-1:

Not very practical, I know, but it's somewhat cooler than any kind of worldtime function, because I see how Earth is placed respect to the sun...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts