WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on Kickstarter-- claimed to be the thinnest watch ever: an E-ink digital screen that is only 0.80mm thick, driven by a Seiko Epson chip, which is then mounted on a metal wristband

CST-01: The World's Thinnest Watch by Central Standard Timing — Kickstarter

I can see this being popular with the younger, more fashionable people. Comes in black and in white. Here is the white. What you think? will it catch on?

Reactions: Kittysafe

·
Registered
48 Posts
I rather like it, but I don't wear bracelet style watches. It certainly has an eye catching and simple to read font, and I really enjoy the readability of E-ink. It might catch on for the simple fact that it's so thin and light.

·
Premium Member
40,395 Posts
I can see this catching on. If not this project, then certainly the technology behind it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rally cool.

The downside is - my wife now wants one. It better be made available soon.

Greetings
Eryk

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Interesting. It appears to be powered by a lithium-polymer-style of layered "soft" battery. They get damaged when discharged too deep. They(if this is, indeed Li-Po) also have been known to short and burn VERY hot. I wish I could see the printing on the battery to be sure. There's a Russian smart phone on the way which has a big E-ink display that covers the rear of it's case.

Josh

Reactions: Burgs

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Looks like the bracelet they clamped on my wrist the last time I was in hospital.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I actually think that's really cool, and I'm very tempted at $100. My only concern (well, beyond the usual Kickstarter concerns) is that they don't seem to say what the expected band size is, and they're only "looking into" offering multiple sizes. If it fits gracefully on my slender-ish 6.5" wrist, I'd be interested, but if it has to wrap over itself to fit (or just doesn't have enough flex in the first place), then I don't want it. It would be nice if they'd listed the wrist size of the model.

Still, I'm bookmarking the page. I think the white one is pretty slick.

·
Premium Member
22,045 Posts
It does look interesting, and I seem to be hopelessly drawn to watches on Kickstarter... I've already backed the Pebble E-Paper watch and the Phosphor Touch Time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Looks like something from a futuristic scifi movie... I think it's pretty cool

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I quite like the font they chose. Also it would be great if the orientation of the display could be rotated (easy to do) to run along the wrist instead of across. Because of the watch's light weight, rotating it would be useful for say, runners to wear on their wrists and motorcyclists to wear over their jackets.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Looks like the bracelet they clamped on my wrist the last time I was in hospital.
What you want to really mean is that it reminds you of the bracelet they clamped to your leg the last time you got convicted?
:-d

1 - 20 of 22 Posts