WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Worn&Wound or...?

This is coming from a novice leather crafter (so take it with a grain of salt) but the construction of this strap looks pretty weak.

Basically it's a leather sandwich. Apart from the areas held together by stitching, most of it is held together with glue and edge paint.

For something that flexes so often I would think that this type of construction would eventually fail due to the degeneration of the glue.

I would rather see stitching down the whole length of the strap.

There are so many great straps out there that would probably outlast you and me worn on a daily basis.
I say move on but again, I am just a novice at this stuff.

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Worn&Wound or...?

This is coming from a novice leather crafter (so take it with a grain of salt) but the construction of this strap looks pretty weak.

Basically it's a leather sandwich. Apart from the areas held together by stitching, most of it is held together with glue and edge paint.

For something that flexes so often I would think that this type of construction would eventually fail due to the degeneration of the glue.

I would rather see stitching down the whole length of the strap.

There are so many great straps out there that would probably outlast you and me worn on a daily basis.
I say move on but again, I am just a novice at this stuff.

Does this apply to all padded straps or specifically the W&W strap?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey kplam are there particular models you think look similar to the W&W strap? I scanned most of the offerings and didn't see quite what I'm after. Thanks for the brand recommendations anyway!

·
Registered
577 Posts
The basic sandwich construction applied to most padded straps and I must say that there are some nice W&W straps too.

It's this particular model that seems to be a little funky. I would look for a padded strap with full stitching.

If it's just the color and padding that you like then there are quite a number to choose from. At that price point you can even find some custom makers willing to work with you.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
webicons, it was late and I didn't notice the lack of stitching along the sides of the strap. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have bought worn and wound straps before, and in all honesty, I won't buy from them anymore. I find their straps are generally overpriced, and not of a competitive quality compared to what other companies will do for a similar entry point. Forget about customer makers, a good custom strap maker will destroy anything W&W makes. For specific examples, I have seen shoddy stitching, low quality leather that stretches noticeably after a short time, and poor water resistance with straps that stain from the least bit of exposure. By exposure I mean rain drops, or a small amount of soapy water hitting the strap for a few seconds before I wiped it away. Real hardcore stuff.

For the money they want their straps simply don't deliver.

Give your money to Bas and Lokes, Bulang and Sons, Vintage Straps.com, Watch Obsession, Crown and Buckle, any of these companies will get you a better strap for the same or less money.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Worn&Wound or...?

I've had very good luck with Hirsch, including a NOS gator. I've got Leonardo mobile (nappa leather), Leonardo shark, Watch Obsession special (Duke? with orange thread)... oh and their new Lord (leather deployant, VERY comfortable!).

I had an old Hirsch shark that I really abused and exposed to sweat and humidity and it endured it for years.

\\ Sent from an Android or iOS device //

1 - 11 of 11 Posts