WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my first automatic watch middle of last week. I have a wedding (not mine) this weekend. I will be wearing a suit and tie, though I don't normally dress more than jeans and t shirts. I would like to dress it up for the wedding so I just picked up a 22mm black leather strap for the watch. The sizing on the watch is 21mm, so the strap is a tad big (I have my eye on a correct sized blue strap, just wouldn't get it in time). I was able swap out the bracelet for the strap by myself, was a complete pain. I figure in a hotel room I would be in that 30 minute range to do the swap. I don't want to leave the leather on the whole time since it will be in the 90s.

Is it worth the time to do the swap, or is the bracelet dressy enough to get away with?

Leathers.jpg

bracelets.jpg

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You'll be the only one noticing what kind of strap or bracelet your watch has. Wear what's comfy and convenient for you. I think it looks great both ways.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
The leather clearly elevates the watch from sporty to dressy. 21mm leather straps are not too hard to find at on ebay. the hirsch duke will probably run you around $35.

Reactions: slcbbrown

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't mean to be a snob and I don't know how hard it is to remove the band on this longines, but I mostly able to change my bracelet within 5 mins .... If it take 30 mins I won't even bother doing it ... ever. But leather looks way better for formal occasion though, if u worry about people judging you because you are wearing a metal bracelet, don't worry about it most people don't care.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Keep the bracelet. If it's going to be hot and you'll be doing anything that could make you sweat (uh......dance at a wedding maybe), you'll truly regret having a leather band on the watch and maybe even ruin it in one evening. But the metal bracelet won't cause any issues at all. I know there are fashion police who gasp at the notion of metal as dressy, but that's their issue. That watch is lovely and looks terrific on metal.

Reactions: stratct

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
The leather clearly elevates the watch from sporty to dressy. 21mm leather straps are not too hard to find at on ebay. the hirsch duke will probably run you around $35.
Good advice. Hirsch's strap is readily available and in lots of color options, too. I like straps for dressy watches, but a bracelet with some shiny surfaces can look pretty good with a suit.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If it were your wedding (or your son or daughter's) it would be worth the time for the switch out because of the hundreds of photos you would be in. To just attend a wedding, that should be just fine.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Just go with the bracelet.

Plus, you never know, you might not get the 30 minutes or sufficient time (for any number of reasons) or even have the concentration (if you've had a couple or more pints) to change the strap to the bracelet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey! Stop being so judgmental!

You don't know his circumstances.

Maybe he was born with 10 thumbs.

Actually I have clubbed thumbs.:-d Or as I prefer to say, I was born into a family of bad carpenters.

30 minutes was probably the total time putting on the leather, taking it off, and putting the bracelet back on. It was my first time ever removing and replacing a watch band. The leather band is a millimeter too big, so I spent probably 5 minutes massaging the ends. I have a criton, or croton set of tools I picked up off of Amazon about a year ago so i could resize the bracelet on my old watch. The forked thing that I am pretty sure is made to be the easy way to remove the bracelet is too big to get to the pin. I ended up using a small screw driver to do the job. The bracelet has to go back on just right with both pins being depressed. I am sure someone could write 1001 tips to remove and put on straps and not even touch the surface.

I will probably keep the bracelet on the whole time. I will pack the strap and the tools just in case I feel like I am severely under dressed.

I like the look of the Hirsch straps. I eventually want to get a blue alligator strap, but I am not sure if I am a fan of the white stitching on the Hirsch. Are there any opinions on the Hadley Roma straps (not that they have them in blue, just that the price on them looks to be about half of the Hirsch for the exotics)?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts