WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 5-Star Admiral on the Bay several years ago that I like and wear as a dress watch with suits. It's probably from the 70's or early 80's I'm guessing.

The crown (which may or may not be original) is loose but doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It runs and seems to keep decent time for a vintage piece.

I contacted Longines and they want $230 to service it, inc. a polish, but doesn't include any parts, which it may need. I'm also wondering if the hands are original,
and if not, would they refurbish these as well under their full service program.

How much would you spend to service this watch?

IMG_2658.jpg
Longines5-starAdmiral1.jpg
Longines5-starAdmiral2.jpg
Longines5-starAdmiral3.jpg

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think so. It is an excellent piece.
Oh, I forgot to mention that the case is a "monocoque" case, which tended to be popular back in the day but most watchmakers aren't crazy about tackling.

Reactions: Honestsheet

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Absolutely worth it. Being a 'monocoque' case means that they'll have to disassemble it from the front, so I'd have Longines do it.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the "starting" point is $230. The customer service rep said that if I don't agree to whatever price they come up with that there would be no "assessment" fee and only return shipping.

But if they will not recondition the hands or replace the hands I'll probably skip it.

As I mentioned in other threads, I sold off some watches and thought I might use the money to refurbish a couple watches.

I also have a Mido Ocean Star Commander with an "Aquadura" crown-sealing system which is basically cork if I understand the "technology".
But it is my opinion that the cork has dried or whatever and winding it and setting the time and date is a chore.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That is truly a stunning little piece and I would personally have no problem pitching in that much, especially if it includes a polishing

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
I'd get it serviced, it's an awesome watch. And if you have a watchmaker that complains about pulling the crystal and removing the movement from the front, find a new watchmaker.

Is that a 18mm strap on 19mm lugs?

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that the case is a "monocoque" case, which tended to be popular back in the day but most watchmakers aren't crazy about tackling.
I think you need to keep looking for a good repair shop. RGM would be reasonably close.
If it was a watch I liked and would wear then yes I would definitely get it serviced. It's a fine looking watch. The Admiral name makes me think of Seamaster, Navy Star Deluxe, Commander and other vintage watches with a nautical theme.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you need to keep looking for a good repair shop. RGM would be reasonably close.
If it was a watch I liked and would wear then yes I would definitely get it serviced. It's a fine looking watch. The Admiral name makes me think of Seamaster, Navy Star Deluxe, Commander and other vintage watches with a nautical theme.
Thanks John, I'm a scuba diver and also a boater (mostly sailing), so I'm extremely interested in nautical themed watches. This one made the team after my recent sell-off.
And to be honest, the photos make it look like it's all scratched up but it looks pretty good on the wrist.

I'm going to send it to Longines only because it might need OEM parts, which I'm assuming that only Longines might carry depending on the calibre, and their initial pricing seems reasonable.
I've never had a peek under the hood so we'll see.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I think you're making a good call. If it's a watch you'll wear on occasion, it will be well worth it. It's a gorgeous watch of its period. If anybody can bring it back to its former glory, Longines probably can.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I currently have it on a Hirsch semi-gloss black strap with white accent stitching, not the one pictured. Looks pretty sharp.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I was going to send mine to Longines but I found an AD in Washington who did mine extremely fast and at a very good price. I'm going tomorrow to pick it up. Only took about two weeks.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Based on prices I'm aware of from other service departments I'd guess around 35 dollars to restore the lume in the hands. I like the watch and would send it in for the resto if it were mine.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, it's already in the mail. I will report back as soon as I get an update.

When I first emailed Longines I received a generic response. But when I called their service number a well-spoken gentleman picked up in less than a minute.

He was able to answer a couple quick questions but obviously they need to open up the watch before providing me a hard price.

Anyone here believe the crown and/or hands to be or appear original? I was hoping to have a signed crown but I'm assuming not all Longines crowns sported their famous logo.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Ok, it's already in the mail. I will report back as soon as I get an update.

When I first emailed Longines I received a generic response. But when I called their service number a well-spoken gentleman picked up in less than a minute.

He was able to answer a couple quick questions but obviously they need to open up the watch before providing me a hard price.

Anyone here believe the crown and/or hands to be or appear original? I was hoping to have a signed crown but I'm assuming not all Longines crowns sported their famous logo.
I reckon the hands are original, but the crown I think is a replacement, my reason for thinking this is that the Admiral was one of their more up-market models so would have had a signed crown. It might be older, perhaps late 60's, Longines should be able to tell you when they see the serial number, what year it is and where it was shipped to.

1 - 20 of 233 Posts