WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 34 mm Gruen Precision N510 for a few dollars. It was in bad shape. I gave it a COA, polished the case, and have ended up finding it oddly appealing on the wrist.

But the dial is in bad, bad shape.

Gruen_Dial.jpg

Missing text, flaking paint, exposed base metal, splotchy tarnishing---this is less "attractive vintage patina" and more "gross."

So, should I redial it or keep it as is? It's sort of borderline for me, and whenever you need opinions, you can always count on the Internet. :-d

·
Registered
539 Posts
When I saw the photo on the title post I thought "beautiful patina". Looks beautiful as it is IMHO.....

Changed my mind after seeing it in full light cased up. Send it off.

Sent from inside a nondescript blue police box sometime in the 21st century...

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Do you have a photo that gives a better sense of how the whole watch appears to the naked eye? It's too tempting to pick it apart just based on the magnified dial image, but I can imagine that it might look very different on the wrist.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hmmmm.... I think I would be on the fence with this one. I guess the decision would come down to a few criteria.

Do you have a specific redialer in mind? Is it an outfit that has done work for you in the past? If so, were you happy with the results of their past work? How much did it cost? How much does it bug you when it's cased up and on your wrist?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all, for the thoughts so far.

Here's how it looks cased up.

Gruen_N510.jpg

And on the wrist:

Gruen_Wrist.jpg

As a comparison, here's my favorite vintage dial in my collection---a nicely speckled and toned Hamilton:

Hamilton_Speckled_Dial.jpg

If I redial it, I'd send it to International Dial Company. They've done good work for me in the past and are pretty reasonable in price.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
If you send it to IDC, tell them you want it done "original" and it will look spectacular. I wouldn't wear it as it looks now.

There's a big difference between "patina" and "OMG"...;-)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After nearly a year, I'm reviving this thread to show the "after" pics.

I sent the dial off to Int' Dial Co. They have two options: a "close enough" basic option and an "as original" option that is more accuracte (and more expensive). Being cheap in most Gruen-related matters, I went for the "close enough." It cost much less time and money than I expected.

Personally, I think they did a great job. Here's the dial:

wp-1525044043098-e1525126390248.jpg

And here's the watch cased up and on the wrist:
wp-1525125421752-e1525126693720.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure, see PM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts