WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this doesn't break any forum rules, as it is a generic discussion. Of course, if it is breaking rules, mods just take this thread off.

A mate of mine owns what he claims is a Rolex Yacht Master. I have seen and handled the watch several times, and haven't seen anything that would indicate it is a fake. In the last week he has worn a Cartier tank, and a Omega Seamaster, and both of them have been the worst fakes I have ever seen. Honestly, both are meant to be automatics, but the second hand ticks away like a $5 Chinese watch off of Aliexpress. He swears they are real, even knowing my hobby is watches. This has now made me wonder if the Yacht Master he has worn for years is real. So, does anyone believe that an owner of a real luxury watch would stoop to wearing a junk fake?

·
Banned
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There seems to be big business in selling people fakes. That, and people are pretty strange on the regular, so yes, maybe he does.
It's just that I would have though he had learned to appreciate a quality watch, and then wearing a piece of fake junk would disgust him. Of course, it may be that his only interest is the name on a dial, in which case why did he spend so much on an original, ummm

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Not a thing you can do for him. As long as he knows he is wearing a quartz fake and was not cheated in a deal, his choices are his. I can understand why you won't see him in the same light moving forward. I'm cool with just about any watch people wear, but wearing a fake is straight up tacky. Tacky like a cheap suit with white socks.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
They definitely do.

There's a famous German Instagram(?)/YouTube channel called "Munich Wrist Busters" who identify fakes worn by influencers in their social media posts. Some of these posers didn't take this lightly, and many of them seem to own authentic luxury watches, too. So it did stir some emotions..

Oh, and I also met a guy at work who wore some quite good watches, e.g. a beautiful Union Glashütte Belisar Power Reserve, but then he showed up with a hideous yellow dial PAM fake with strangely ticking seconds.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hope this doesn't break any forum rules, as it is a generic discussion. Of course, if it is breaking rules, mods just take this thread off.

A mate of mine owns what he claims is a Rolex Yacht Master. I have seen and handled the watch several times, and haven't seen anything that would indicate it is a fake. In the last week he has worn a Cartier tank, and a Omega Seamaster, and both of them have been the worst fakes I have ever seen. Honestly, both are meant to be automatics, but the second hand ticks away like a $5 Chinese watch off of Aliexpress. He swears they are real, even knowing my hobby is watches. This has now made me wonder if the Yacht Master he has worn for years is real. So, does anyone believe that an owner of a real luxury watch would stoop to wearing a junk fake?
No comment on whether or not they're real. I would need to see them in person. But just an FYI... both the Cartier Tank and several Omega Seamasters are offered in quartz versions. So while you may think that a ticking seconds hand is indicative of "a $5 Chinese watch off of Aliexpress," I can assure you that these watches that your friend owns may very well be real.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Stranger things have happened. I wont discount the possibility.
Agreed. I can imagine a scenario where the real watch is a safe queen.

But in all honesty OP I believe that the more likely explanation is that your friend is a liar. At least you know for a fact that he lied about the Cartier and Omega, what other proof do you need?

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
I know several people who wear replicas if they want to save up for the real thing, or if they just need a dress watch once a year and don't want to spend the money. I don't judge either way.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Anythings possible.

Maybe he bought the Rolex at a time when he had some money, maybe it's just a very good replica, who knows...

You dont have to assume, If he's your friend just ask him.

Ask him for more info about the Rolex, tell him what you know about his other watches. If he's not a watch guy there's a small chance he might not know. If he knows a Seamaster that says co-axial on the dial isn't supposed to tick he might be less inclined to wear it...

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
2,245 Posts
There are far more people that own and wear both than most would ever realise. And that’s many people with considerable disposable income too.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
We can never know, but yeah I think it is possible especially if the fake one was acquired from a dubious source but claimed authentic.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts

you'll be surprised that there will be such Joker around that wears a fake, and gives away his fake like a philanthropist to noobs who knows very little about fine expensive real watches of that fake... in return, responds with respect. Yeah... such scalper of "ignorant honest respects" lives in this world...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quite possible. People are weird. Maybe the Rolex was a gift. Maybe he bought the fakes first and then stepped up his game. Maybe he is conned easily.

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
2,245 Posts
Quite possible. People are weird. Maybe the Rolex was a gift. Maybe he bought the fakes first and then stepped up his game. Maybe he is conned easily.
Or maybe he already had genuine watches and knowingly added some fakes just for the fun. And maybe he is far from easily conned - did you consider that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
At the Dubai Watch Week the owner of a large retailer told of wearing a fake RM to a dinner party with other watch lovers. His status meant that nobody would point it out much to his amusement, it was a bad fake. He also mentioned that he bought a high-quality fake Rolex and sent it to his company, the AD in Dubai and they fixed it without passing any comment.
So some fakes may be that good, who but the owner knows!!

·
Banned
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No comment on whether or not they're real. I would need to see them in person. But just an FYI... both the Cartier Tank and several Omega Seamasters are offered in quartz versions. So while you may think that a ticking seconds hand is indicative of "a $5 Chinese watch off of Aliexpress," I can assure you that these watches that your friend owns may very well be real.
The case on both of them was plated junk metal. The links on the Cartier were hollow, and the bezel on the Omega turned so easily it almost fell off. Believe me, these were the type of fakes you would find on a Turkish market.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.