WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local shop is selling the SPB213 for about US$720. I would appreciate people's opinion on it or its variants (e.g., SPB143, SPB149, etc.). In particular, I don't know how good the 6R35 movement is. I have a Seiko with a 6R15, and its has been wildly inconsistent. Still, the dial of the SPB213 is very attractive to me. I have never had a "dive" watch (because I can't even swim well enough to save my life). So this will be my fisrt one. Thanks.

Pic form the web:

Watch Brown Analog watch Light Clock

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At $720 it’s a great value. There is some controversy about the 6R35 but only with respect to the MSRP. But at your price you are getting a great deal. What shop?
Thanks for your reply. It is a shop (authorized dealer) here in Thailand. If you are interested in exploring, please let me know and I will send you the link.

·
Registered
13,999 Posts
Thanks for your reply. It is a shop (authorized dealer) here in Thailand. If you are interested in exploring, please let me know and I will send you the link.
i would like the link. But I’ll also mention that the 6r35 is based on tbe 6r15 so performance overall is similar but obviously a longer power reserve. That means you can get a very inconsistent one still but I might get one that is very accurate

Reactions: ThomasTuck11

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I'm a big fan of the series you're looking at, and the 213 has a beautiful dial that goes nicely with the blue bezel. As far as the 6R35, I've been lucky and have examples that run anywhere from +2 to +12, I've never had a really bad example.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love mine! The spb series is one of my favorite seikos. They really nailed the case and sizing on it. Also love how on the 213 (which is the one I have), the dial can appear silver in some light, and white in others. Really a great piece. Wrist shot from the weekend.

Watch Hand Analog watch Plant Finger

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have one and it's beautiful. Movement is garbage (there has literally been a statistically validated analysis on WUS establishing this) but I like mine.

Accuracy disqualifies it for daily wear, for me, but it does look great. The silvery dial and warm diashield coating come together with the nicely brushed and polished handset and beautiful glassy blue bezel.

If looks are all that matter it's an awesome watch.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The watch is very cool and the price is very good! I would jump 😁

·
Premium Member
50,486 Posts
A great color combo for sure.

As for the movement, well.....lots of opinions on that.......

I have two with this movement and have never had any issues and they run within their stated specs.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
That is a very good price! I paid MSRP and have no regrets. It's one of my favorite Seiko's thanks to it's size. I got lucky with my 6R35. It losses a few seconds a day when worn but laying dial up gains them back. After a few months it's only a second or two off. Better than my Rolex Sub!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I think their watches in this price point are very solid, well-made, decent bracelets, easy to wear. As others have said, not the most accurate movements, though I have had decent experience with the 6R15 (+10 to +15 seconds daily, on average). that's a very good price.

·
Banned
16 Posts
For a example to Retrieve relevant information from - I’ll state A experience.

I was skeptical of the Old archaic 6105-8110 and it’s movement being accurate. I read multiple examples from owners and determined it’s a robust movement that could be “Accurate enough”.
Sync’s up the Old 6105B movement to atomic time knowing it’s been a while since Service- I was hopeful of 25 sec per 24 hrs. What I got was 6 seconds slow in 24hrs- Truth.

So it’s difficult to imagine that a modern Seiko that’s 46 years newer “Couldn’t” obtain that accurate of time. Perhaps it may require a bit of “Tuning” a competent watch smith could do, yet I’m sure it’s well in the realm of reality.

Just my 2 cents worth of insight.
Watch Hand Analog watch Gesture Clock

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I've owned 2 versions of this watch, the 143 and 145. It helps that it's inspired in design by the 62MAS which is my favorite diver design of all time for any watch brand.

Interestingly my experiences maybe a bit opposite of the consensus. I've had really good luck with these movements. I currently have an SPB240, so that's at least 3 6R35s, and each has run chronometer spec. There is some massive positional variance, but once I figured out the best position to rest them, they were really accurate. Having said that, my ownership time has been very low and I have heard these movements can get funky and way out of spec as time goes on if you are unlucky.

But the movement was actually fine ime. Fit and finish was kinda ho-hum, and probably lacking. You are getting an awesome price at which I think it's fine. But closer to retail, these watches are bordering on Longines Hydroconquest territory which have much better fit/finish and more reliable movements. So I do think quality could be better at the price Seiko is charging. But I was willing to overlook that (and I am sure many others as well) to get in on an awesome looking 62MAS inspired diver.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've had both the 143 and 147 LE and love both. The 6R movement is great IMO. 70 hrs of power reserve on a well-established workhorse platform. Yeah, they can come with a bit of variance in accuracy but I've never had any issue easily adjusting the hairspring length to get it to about +5, which is where I like it.
I think they're fantastic watches and a damn good value for any price less than $950 or so.
Watch Analog watch Gesture Clock Wrist

Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Wrist

Reactions: warsh

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 6R35's DNA is based on the 6R15, which is based on the 7s26, which is based on the 700x series. The DNA of all are very robust, but accuracy is not their forte.
Just out of curiosity... People saying that this particular Seiko movement is very "Robust" is something I've commonly heard. However, I'm sure everyone's definition of a robust movement is different. What's your definition of a Robust movement?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have an unusual love for mine, right at the low end of my collection but it’s totally dominating wrist time at the moment. My watch runs about 4s on the wrist when left dial up over night. I know this is a total fluke but I’ll take it =)

Watch Hand Analog watch Light Clock

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
It's worth what you are getting it for. I refuse to pay anything over a thousand dollar for a Seiko that includes their presage, visage, cherry blossom, samurai, shoto, sushi, turtle, tuna.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts