WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if any of you watch masters out there could help this noob? After weeks of looking at IWC Portofino steel for around $4500 my wife said to buy it. I am having a really hard time forking out that much for my first watch. Can anybody tell me if this watch that I am looking at would be a better option? It looks like the style I want and is 1/4 the price. Are there any other watches that would give me more for my money and still look classy?
Thank you for all the help,
Eric
jean_marcel_160.267.73_large.jpg

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
You could also look at Hamilton, Mido, Tissot models. Probably Oris as well.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Check out Christopher Ward in London.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Tissot Visodate could be a nice entry level swiss dress watch

but it's probably not anywhere as nice as a Portofino(or Ingy Chrono Racer)

Attachments

·
Banned
95 Posts
Are you looking for a good looking watch at a price point.
Or
Are you looking for a good watch with pedigree and the potential to still be thought of as a good watch. 25 or more years from now

If the answer is A pick one of the other brands listed

If the answer is B then go with the IWC

There's nothing wrong with buying at any level nice functional watches are available at All price points. It's simply a matter of what you desire out of your purchase

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would look for a preowned Portofino before I would buy a new Jean Marcel. The IWC is a quality entry level watch. The Jean Marcel is probably junk. IMO.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,622 Posts
The Jean Marcel would be a good choice if your goal is to have a nice dress watch and spend around $1k. It won't be a better option or choice because it can't be a substitute for the IWC.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I haven't heard of the brand, but I think it draws some inspiration from this Omega AT.

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I was curious if any of you watch masters out there could help this noob? After weeks of looking at IWC Portofino steel for around $4500 my wife said to buy it. I am having a really hard time forking out that much for my first watch. Can anybody tell me if this watch that I am looking at would be a better option? It looks like the style I want and is 1/4 the price. Are there any other watches that would give me more for my money and still look classy?
Eric
JM ...just another TV brand, not really sure who are they....Hamilton , Oris, Longines etc. seem like a better choice to me in particular

·
Registered
625 Posts
Without knowing your means, (4,500) may be a drop in the bucket to you, but I'd personally go a little more modest for your first purchase if it was me a lot more modest :)

Hamilton, tissot etc are great first watches. Personally I prefer hamilton of the major entry brands.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Eric
View attachment 1134330
Are you actually saying it would be your first watch or your first serious purchase , the notion of a mature married male with money to burn buying his first watch is alien to me , if it is so i would advise against a massive outlay on your first !

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've never heard of this brand, but I would ask yourself what drew you to the IWC initially. If your just looking for a great looking watch there are plenty of options for less than $1000.00. To me the IWC is much much more than just a great looking watch.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Get the IWC!!
+1

You want a Lexus but is wondering if a GMC is going to be ok too.

Yes GMC is ok but where do you want to go to with this purchase ?
You want well made, well known and respected watch maker or buy an unknown watch that looks nice ?

IWC is a well known and respected watch maker with tons of followers and thats the watch I would get, not Oris, not Tissot, not Hamilton or Seiko!!!
If you can afford an IWC then thats what I recommend you to go for.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I've never heard of this brand, but I would ask yourself what drew you to the IWC initially. If your just looking for a great looking watch there are plenty of options for less than $1000.00. To me the IWC is much much more than just a great looking watch.
To me, its bland design and awkward date window make it somewhat less than a great-looking watch, and $4500 for something with a Sellita movement is most definitely not a good buy.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
this is just my opinion, in no way does it reflect fact or how people should think,

to be honest, I would be very hesitant to buy any 'luxury' watches brand new, especially a lower tier or a lesser 'luxury' brand name,

research the company and see how they made their watches, if you deem it is worth the 1k, then by all mean get it,

if you only like the 'look' of the watch ... I would look around for a better deal

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
It's your wrist, so you should put there what you want. The Jean Marcel is probably a fine watch, it looks nice, and you'll likely be happy with it. However, something first drew you to the IWC so the question to ask yourself is this what you really want. It sounds like you have the money for it and the wife gave you the green light, so if this is what you want on your wrist then get it. If you're having trouble justifying spending that much on a watch, then get something that will make you smile. Whatever you do, don't settle for something based upon the comments and tastes of others. This forum is great for answering questions like "is $X is too much to pay for this watch" or "what do you know about this watch maker," but we are terrible at telling you what watch you should get. The ultimate decision is yours, so get the watch you want to wear.

-hayday

1 - 20 of 28 Posts