WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand why people pay out decent sums of money for a glitzy case and overly modern looking face, and whatever "faux posh" name of the day, all run by a $3 quartz? Purely emotional buying? I have to know any mechanical product has proven staying power before I buy it. A real story in steel. What else out there can rival the amphibias history for less than $3000? Also how do people just not care about the movement? Ambivalent fellow travelers on this planet mystify me with their meaningless watch purchases.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Years ago bought a Omega Seamaster titanium and gold dress watch, it was battery.. I spent a stupid amount of money every 18 months tops to get the battery changed. A few years back a battery leaked inside it and damaged the movement. I investigated what the movement was and it was a cheap 30 bucks from memory eta with an Omega plate screwed to it with longer screws REALLY!!!! I ordered a new movement swapped out the dial and hand onto the new movement which is now way more accurate than it ever was. I was spending far more to change the battery in the darn thing than the movement actually cost!! Never again.. Do my own servicing now and no battery watches full stop..
Chris

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I don't understand why people pay out decent sums of money for a glitzy case and overly modern looking face, and whatever "faux posh" name of the day, all run by a $3 quartz? Purely emotional buying? I have to know any mechanical product has proven staying power before I buy it. A real story in steel. What else out there can rival the amphibias history for less than $3000? Also how do people just not care about the movement? Ambivalent fellow travelers on this planet mystify me with their meaningless watch purchases.
Of course my thoughts went straight to the PAM 318 fiasco

·
Registered
441 Posts
Couldn’t agree more. I personally don’t get quartz. My cell phone will give me the time and it’s always with me so why do I need a fancy battery powered watch. But that’s just me.
I want a mechanical time piece. I want to hear it’s heart ticking and beating. Powered by me, run by turning gears, something with soul. Like my old Norton Commando.
And it absolutely has to have a place in horological history. Not just a fashion accessory.
That is one of the reasons I love Vostok. Quirky, unique, mechanical and has a story.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks, Quartersawn. :]

I don't know- I enjoy microbrands. I also love a watch that has heritage.

But isn't this also like dogs? Are you the type that goes for a purebred national kennel club registered dog, or a mutt from the pound that speaks to you?

As far as quartz- I'm not saying I'd buy a quartz Speedmaster, but I believe piezoelectricity is a fascinating technology with its own place in the watch world.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,455 Posts
Thanks, Quartersawn. :]

I don't know- I enjoy microbrands. I also love a watch that has heritage.

But isn't this also like dogs? Are you the type that goes for a purebred national kennel club registered dog, or a mutt from the pound that speaks to you?

As far as quartz- I'm not saying I'd buy a quartz Speedmaster, but I believe piezoelectricity is a fascinating technology with its own place in the watch world.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
so robot dogs

·
Registered
53 Posts
Because people who buy those watches want to know the time, and have something that they like to look at at that moment... It is like buying a car if you need reliable transport every day you probably are better off with a modern simple car then with an vintage car. And yes in this Vostok (even a modern 2415/2416) is like a vintage car, chances are huge that a cheap Seiko quartz will keep better time then your Vostok and that is for most people the most important thing about watches keeping correct time for an acceptable price...

And yes I do have an quartz watch and yes it keeps time way better then any other watch I have and I keep it as my official time keeping device for putting all my watches and clocks at an acceptable time (I do not really care about my watches being off by one second or so).

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have nothing against quartz. I want a watch to be thin, light, truly watertight, either acrylic or sapphire crystal and still under 100 USD. A such watch I would buy even without a history behind the brand but as far as i know a such watch does not exist so I am using most of the days a Komandirskie.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yes I would. There are some awesome micro mechanicals with Miyota, Seiko and ETA movements at very reasonable prices. I also have some quartz watches that I like but mechanicals ARE more interesting to me. Having said that I love the Vostok Amphibia. It is my favourite watch and its underrated status by the watch community is not warranted.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I prefer brands/models with a history, which is why I collect Vostok, vintage Seiko 5's and Casio G-Shocks/F-91 W's. Each of these have a rather special history.
Vostok we all know, no need to elaborate.
Seiko G-Shock is still rather unique in its ability to take a beating, and you'll never run out of strange special editions to collect.
Casio F-91 W has been a given for school kids, people with dirty jobs and those who just don't care since 1991...and it's a fun little watch.
Seiko 5 has been the first "adult" watch for so many people, usually given as a gift on their 15th birthday or so...and you have to respect the sheer numbers it's produced in.
These are my personal reasons, your milage may vary :)
(oh, and they are all affordable, collectable and each represent a certain design philosophy)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So would any of you f10 community members trade your Russian mechanical piece(s) for a quartz Invicta or Stauer no history watch ? I can see some unaware impulse mall watch buyer doing it, but would any self respecting wis do that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't think that you can see the rest off the world (people) caring in the same way about their watches as the 1% watch-nerds (if there are even that many) that love their watches...

It is like taking your car to the carwash for a true car lover that is a total horror story, while most other people do it without thinking about it. A true car lover/detailler spends $$$ on products for cleaning and caring for his car just like a true watch lover rather spends his money on a nice new watch then on car caring products...

And asking here wich is prefered a Vostok or a ..... watch without any history or a story behind it... well I think you know the answer in the Russian part of this forum ;-)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Are a lot of very reliable and good quartz watches with "brand" I preffer my Chayka 3050 that a new Amphibia or a lot of mechanicals watches...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are a lot of very reliable and good quartz watches with "brand" I preffer my Chayka 3050 that a new Amphibia or a lot of mechanicals watches...
Yes but your Chaika 3050 has some history to it, it is not like any new CK or DW or.... there is a big difference between those two kind of watches, there are great Poljot quartz or Luch quartz or... quartz watches, and there are mechanical watches that are not wotrth a second glance...

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,408 Posts
I think this thread belongs to different forum.
We can trace multiple (on many forums here) "battles" of some mythical creatures (watch with soul vs no soul) for pure fun or some psychological research but what the point?
History is a tricky thing and often claimed one has nothing to do with real product in your hand. Invicta can claim more history than Vostok but has it anything to do with current company? Can Vostok Europe claim any history?
It nice to have historically significant brand, but today actual quality of the watch and customer service should come first. Meaning it better to buy from established brand something you fell in love with.
Arguing about quartz vs mechanical, brand preference or style can become rather personal and best thing to say is wear what you love and enjoy it.
The peculiar fact is everyone knows Omega Speedmaster to be THE SPACE WATCH (thigh sound of vintage educational films announcer baritone). But in real modern life X33 seen more time in space than any other watch and it is official watch of all kosmo/astro nauts on ISS. It was designed specifically for space station missions by astronaut with help of former astronaut and it been around for 25 years. It the only watch developed for astronauts.
Yet we don't see anyone bragging about historical significance of this watch. Nor other watches sent to space before or after Speedmaster. So which history is more significant and what watch is more historically valuable?
Is this bottle a0192423cd2cd46fc4181a05c0fb4eb4--vintage-milk-bottles-retro-pictures.jpg
has history and should be treasured for that? Or it just Apple effect.
Yes i would buy from brand with no significant history.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Look up the Stauer Excursion dive watch on line. $399 but now only $79 and comes with free sunglasses. Pretty enough picture. Details? There are none. Movement? No explanation ~ assume it has one ... just some weird story about the never ending vacation brought to you by the watch. It's just sad that this apparently sells in this world.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,408 Posts
Stauer build on standard Miyota movement. 2115. But it really BS type of the watch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly ... bs watch for same money as a legitimate amphibia. If anyone buys the Stauer Excursion I hope the sunglasses are really good.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts