WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some deals can be had on excellent authentic watch BUT it doesnt come with paperworks, boxes, warranty card (eventhough it will be most likely expired), etc...? just the watch and some links.

Are there any disadvantages NOT to buy an authentic watch just because it doesnt come as a "kit"?

will the authorized repair shop still take a watch for service IF it didnt have any papers to accompany?

thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't have a problem buying a used watch without the kit if the deal is good enough, as long as it comes with all extra links. I really can't see any disadvantages of not having the paperwork unless you needed to prove the authenticity to someone. An authorized repair shop will always take the watch whether or not you have documents. Even if you had the documents and you wanted it repaired, the cost would be the same.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I don't have a problem buying a used watch without the kit if the deal is good enough, as long as it comes with all extra links. I really can't see any disadvantages of not having the paperwork unless you needed to prove the authenticity to someone. An authorized repair shop will always take the watch whether or not you have documents. Even if you had the documents and you wanted it repaired, the cost would be the same.
Well said! :-!

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks chiko. thats what exactly what i thought. the seller wanted to sell the watch without the "kit" but he has all of them!

if he had sold it as a kit, he would be asking for more $$$ BUT thought why not just sell everything? he told me that WITH the paperworks, expired warranty card, and original boxes was an extra 200-400$? just didnt understand the logic behind it :roll:

I was just afraid that maybe the authorized repair shop wouldnt accept the watch.
thanks again:-!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Youll still get it repaired without the stuff. If the warranty is expired, the kit really isnt necessary, although many people view it as a way to verify authenticity. Youll also get less money than a fully equipped one when you sell it, but that should be offset since you should be paying quite a bit less yourself.

BTW, depending on how expensive this watch is, the docs may be more or less important.

·
Registered
967 Posts
No, I want the box and everything. Reason being (other than the want) is, in case I need to sell it. Furthermore, it just seems like there would be a place to put the watch if i dont plan on wearing it in a while.

However, I apparently, (having not read the item description carefully on ebay), I just did.

O well.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I prefer all, but if the watch were for use, not resale and the deal was good, the box and papers would not be necessary

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The box and paperwork mean nothing to me so long as the watch is authentic.

And I keep them all in a display box when they're not on my wrist, so I don't need the manufacturer's box to store them in.

I'm also constantly trying to reduce clutter in my humble home (I'm becoming somewhat of a minimalist), so I have no use for a big box full of small empty watch boxes.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
If the watch is authentic, the seller trusted and the price appropriate, I have no problem at all.

If you tend to flip your watches quickly though (to thine own self be true) probably better to avoid the no B&P items as re-selling can be real slow.

Roger

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again fellow members! My purpose for this watch was really for everyday usage and not meant for display so it wouldnt spend much of its time inside the case. My only drawback is the manual o|

Regarding the paperworks, I just didnt understand at first why a seller wouldnt sell the watch if they had the paperworks in the first place. Considering that the paperworks will contain the serial #s of that watch and will have no significant impact for someone else who would just buy the paperworks separately with the serial numbers that wouldnt match anyway :think:

I agree that most people would feel better purchasing a watch complete as a kit. It has a psychological effect to buyers that it is "mint" or want abused or even used all the time:-!

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,075 Posts
Some deals can be had on excellent authentic watch BUT it doesnt come with paperworks, boxes, warranty card (eventhough it will be most likely expired), etc...? just the watch and some links.

Are there any disadvantages NOT to buy an authentic watch just because it doesnt come as a "kit"?

will the authorized repair shop still take a watch for service IF it didnt have any papers to accompany?

thanks for any advice.
If I'm buying an unwarranted watch (new or used) then the manual, warranty, boxes are irrelevant. Only for complicated watches would I would require an owners manual. I would require that all links be provided as well as any tools. Oris is an example of a company that provides a small tool for setting it's Complication models. If the watch was sold as a new grey-market watch then I would also require that it be in new condition with no scuffs and have never been sized.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
If the watch is genuine then I'll no problem buying without the kit....just as long as the price reflects that....thus if you were to resell, you wouldn't be making as big a loss. End of the day you were the watch...the boxes and stuff usually gets stored away

·
Registered
323 Posts
I generally dont expect the box/papers on watches below $1000 as I usually throw them away.Hey,Im not gonna wear the box.
On my finer timepieces I insist on boxes and documents as it is part of the watches history and may prove helpful in proving authenticity or for servicing etc..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i sent my iwc to an authorized dealer for repair, in the original box. got the watch back, but not the box. yeah, i was pissed but they just sort of shrugged their shoulders... grrr...:-|

i think i still have the box to my omega moon, and a few others. i'm trying to be better about that, but like someone else said, less clutter the better.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
thanks chiko. thats what exactly what i thought. the seller wanted to sell the watch without the "kit" but he has all of them!

if he had sold it as a kit, he would be asking for more $$$ BUT thought why not just sell everything? he told me that WITH the paperworks, expired warranty card, and original boxes was an extra 200-400$? just didnt understand the logic behind it :roll:

I was just afraid that maybe the authorized repair shop wouldnt accept the watch.
thanks again:-!
What is he going to do with the box, papers, Expired warranty card etc without the watch? My initial thought is the "kit" may not even belong to that watch. What would he do with all the stuff? Sell it separate or with another watch?

B

·
0 Posts
i sent my iwc to an authorized dealer for repair, in the original box. got the watch back, but not the box. yeah, i was pissed but they just sort of shrugged their shoulders... grrr...:-|

i think i still have the box to my omega moon, and a few others. i'm trying to be better about that, but like someone else said, less clutter the better.
Well that is your choice but I disagree.

Every manufacturer tells you to NOT send the box back for repairs, they wont return it.

As far as clutter, I view the boxes as part of the watches existence. I save all my watch boxes, they take up a few square feet on top of a closet shelf out of the way.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
I'd prefer to have the whole "kit"................but if I love the watch & it's in good shape & I can afford it, what the.....it's ok.....put I prefer to have a box, instructions etc. With the exception of 1 watch I have the packaging/box/manuals/paperwork of all my watches....for me it makes an easier sale or trade.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
What is he going to do with the box, papers, Expired warranty card etc without the watch? My initial thought is the "kit" may not even belong to that watch. What would he do with all the stuff? Sell it separate or with another watch?
I agree. Sounds like a shady character to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts