Votes: 38 88.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Leaving shortly for the USA again and my comfy 3 weeks old g7700 will come along. Is it worth to replace the battery with a new one ?? Nobody actually knows for how long the watch has been stored before delivery or for how long was sitting in that display....:roll:

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I'd be no more likely to change the battery in a new watch than I would the engine in a new car.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but even so...

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I just got a new DW-5000SL from another WUS member that flipped it, the first thing I did was change over to another module without the 40 acres backlight and put in a new battery since I already had it all apart. If it is a new watch that I have no intentions of selling, I will put a new battery in it, just because it could have been sitting as much as a year or two before it is sold. Also, it takes me less than 5 minutes to do a battery swap on nearly any G-Shock. Having the right tools makes it a sinch!:-!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
We have those batteries over here in the states, too, should ya need one.
No worries!

Josh

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Most current G Shock batteries will last 5 or more years. If you want to take it apart then change it. I would leave it alone until the display dims when using the EL.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've always retained the original battery on the non-solar Gs I own, as timekeeping by itself doesn't use up that much battery power anyway.

Heck, I've no idea how long my DW-9051 sat in some store shelf before it was purchased; all I know is that it's been running on the same battery for six years (and counting).

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sitting in a store eats certainly less battery than being worn. But remember that nearly every customer taking a look at that watch in a store will hit the EL button, sometimes even the store owner does it to attract the attention.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Sitting in a store eats certainly less battery than being worn. But remember that nearly every customer taking a look at that watch in a store will hit the EL button, sometimes even the store owner does it to attract the attention.
I'm under the impression that using the alarms consumes more power than the EL backlight, so as long as the alarm functions aren't fiddled with constantly, the battery level should still hold up fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd be no more likely to change the battery in a new watch than I would the engine in a new car.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but even so...
Can't say it much better than that. Even if I suspected the watch had been sitting on the shelf for a long time, I'd let the battery run its course before I changed it out.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hi,
the G-7700 is a pretty new model - can't have been sitting on a shelf for too long. Besides - it runs on a CR-2025 which is good for at least 5 years (when using the alarm, backlight, stopwatch etc. every day - so when not used it will probably run ten years). No need at all to fiddle around with a perfectly running watch.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just got a new DW-5000SL from another WUS member that flipped it, the first thing I did was change over to another module without the 40 acres backlight and put in a new battery since I already had it all apart. If it is a new watch that I have no intentions of selling, I will put a new battery in it, just because it could have been sitting as much as a year or two before it is sold. Also, it takes me less than 5 minutes to do a battery swap on nearly any G-Shock. Having the right tools makes it a sinch!:-!

sorry for the hijack....

So you are telling me you can replace just the part of the Spike Lee
with the 40 acres backlit ? Keeping the screwback ? The backlight image bugs me but I like the screwback.....

·
Registered
13,980 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts