WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or does any watch company use such a feature already on their crystals? I googled and can't seem to find any.

I know atleast Samsung uses this on some of their smartphones, and some aftermarket companies offer screen protectors that have such a coating that is anti-smudge.

I had a Samsung Galaxy that had this feature and it was EXTREMELY effective in repelling smudges. I let my nephew use that phone often and the back would be completely sticky and filthy but the screen was spotless and smooth.

I know countless WIS that have a compulsive habit of constantly rubbing their thumbs over crystals to remove smudges, even phantom smudges ( I do).

I have found that Dow Corning offers such a coating that is also used together with anti-reflective surfaces.

I figure the biggest question would be how durable are these coatings for watch crystal use.

Would you like this as a feature on your sapphire watch crystal if the coating would not be prone to visible scratches?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
...I know countless WIS that have a compulsive habit of constantly rubbing their thumbs over crystals to remove smudges, even phantom smudges ( I do). ...
Hmmm...rub your thumb on the crystal, the crystal gets thumb prints, so rub your thumb on the crystal...and repeat if necessary. :think:

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,788 Posts
I suspect that an anti-smudge coating would ultimately be another surface to show wear just as anti-reflection coatings do. And we would begin to see threads on how to remove partly worn smudge coatings as we see for AR coatings. For those of us who find sticky stuff on their watches and phones a simple handwashing would probably do wonders. Concerns like this seem most prevalent with sapphire crystals. Maybe acryllic and glass crystals have some benefits after all.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
It would cause unnecessary hassle for the watch company to buy the liquid (or whatever form it comes in), and then have to get the extra machinery to apply it (assuming it is a different process to AR), and that would drive up the price of the watch and people would moan.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I would tent to agree with John. I have yet to experience anything like Samsung's coating but I sure wish watch companies would STOP using outer AR coatings. I like the look when clean and new but I'm more than happy to live without it because of the scratches and smudges and ultimately, the need to get rid of it.

I suspect that an anti-smudge coating would ultimately be another surface to show wear just as anti-reflection coatings do. And we would begin to see threads on how to remove partly worn smudge coatings as we see for AR coatings. For those of us who find sticky stuff on their watches and phones a simple handwashing would probably do wonders. Concerns like this seem most prevalent with sapphire crystals. Maybe acryllic and glass crystals have some benefits after all.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I see no reason for it. Anti smudge coatings are dandy for touch screen devices. For watches they'd be overkill. Extra expense for no real benefit.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Well...the same goes for helium valves, >100m wr, or any complication beyond a date window.:-d
I'd disagree.
HEV are useful if you are going to be using the watch in the commercial deep diving requirement.
Again, above 100M WR is useful for this environment.

Any complication beyond a date window? So you don't want a chronograph, sub seconds, alarm, anything like that? Interesting.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I'd disagree.
HEV are useful if you are going to be using the watch in the commercial deep diving requirement.
Again, above 100M WR is useful for this environment.

Any complication beyond a date window? So you don't want a chronograph, sub seconds, alarm, anything like that? Interesting.

cheers,
Jake.
I think it's fair to say the 95% of watches' features aren't used to anywhere near their full potential and as such are massively overspecced.

I for one would absolutely love an anti-fingerprint coating, though I can't imagine it would actually be that effective.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
It depends how durable it is. AR coating can get scratched and then you're stuck trying to remove it. I think my bigger problem is my six month old son who seems love grabbing my watches with his grubby hands. I pretend it's because like his dad he's into watches but he'll grab just about anything in front of him!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Handwashing your phone is rather more difficult than handwashing even a non water-resistant watch cheapo chinese mushroom brand watch. Even the worst watches have better water resistance than your phone which has a ton of tiny holes for the speaker, headset, charger, etc. So it seems more practical on phones than on watches. And I actually don't find a fingerprint smudged crystal to be that visible. Maybe I have abnormally un-oily fingers.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,788 Posts
Handwashing your phone is rather more difficult than handwashing even a non water-resistant watch cheapo chinese mushroom brand watch. Even the worst watches have better water resistance than your phone which has a ton of tiny holes for the speaker, headset, charger, etc. So it seems more practical on phones than on watches. And I actually don't find a fingerprint smudged crystal to be that visible. Maybe I have abnormally un-oily fingers.
Actually I was suggesting that the sticky fingered among us wash their hands....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts