WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Would you flip the Drive De Cartier for Rolex Explorer 1 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I have been intrigued by the Explorer 1 since awhile back. With the announcement of the Explorer 1 2016 with the revised hands and lume, I like it even more.

Now I have a chance to sell off my Drive De Cartier and then top up abit of money to get the Explorer 1 2016. I like the Cartier and have no complaint about it except the date window. But I do like the versatility and toughness of the Explorer 1.

If you are in my shoes, would you flip and why?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
This.

I wouldn't since you already got a sub and I find them similar functionally and both black dial but that's just my opinion
I would rather have the Explorer than Cartier, but without that your collection is missing a dressier piece. I find Explorer and Submariner a bit too similar in a 4 piece collection.

If you do end up with both Rolexes, I'd consider getting a dressier Nomos (Tangente/Orion/Ludwig/Zurich) to fill that spot.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I personally find the Explorer 1 abit more dressy than the Sub. My plan is to rotate both Rolexes for work days and my nomos club for casual/fun weekends.

The Sub and Explorer should be versatile enough to be worn as dressier watches when the occasions requires.

i don't like those Nomos you named except for Zurich and Club.

This.

I would rather have the Explorer than Cartier, but without that your collection is missing a dressier piece. I find Explorer and Submariner a bit too similar in a 4 piece collection.

If you do end up with both Rolexes, I'd consider getting a dressier Nomos (Tangente/Orion/Ludwig/Zurich) to fill that spot.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Fair enough, then you know what to do. But you did ask "If you are in my shoes". ;-)

I agree that Exp1 is dressier than Sub, but they are still very close to each other compared to your Cartier.

I personally find the Explorer 1 abit more dressy than the Sub. My plan is to rotate both Rolexes for work days and my nomos club for casual/fun weekends.

The Sub and Explorer should be versatile enough to be worn as dressier watches when the occasions requires.

i don't like those Nomos you named except for Zurich and Club.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I like the Exp 1 (especially the new version), but don't see myself getting one any time soon because I already have an SD and my small collection (SD, Speedy, Gshock) needs too many other things before I circle back for a second Rolex sports watch (and even then, so many options... GMT, vintage vs ceramics, etc.). The Drive De Cartier is one of Cartier's more interesting watches in my opinion, and fills the dressier vibe slot in your collection. In your shoes, I'd probably keep the Drive, or if you're looking to flip that regardless, get something else that ranges toward the dress watch slot.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I'd also keep the Drive for the same reasons stated above. If you've already got a Sub, the Drive is a unique, dressy alternative.

Same reason I'll likely be eventually looking for a Tank or Santos. :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
I prefer the older Explorer 114270 for the size and case shape. It is less expensive maybe get that and have both?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If I was in your shoes, I would have flipped the Cartier for the 2016 Explorer I in a heartbeat. To me the explorer I represents a better value proposition from the standpoint of being much more versatile. If you just google some images of the explorer I on nato's and aged straps, you will be amazed. And the same watch when put on a bracelet can potentially double up as a dress watch. Although each to its own, but if it was me, I would definitely gotten the Explorer I.

To be honest, I myself have been eying the newer explorer I for being alternate every day watch apart from my trusty Explorer II.

·
Registered
224 Posts
In a heart beat. I don't know, I consider expy 1 more dressy than sporty. Put it on a nice croc strap, it's very classy. The Cartier? Never heard of it, googled it, it didn't do anything to me.

I blame it on the autoconnect.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually went to try the 39mm OP and the new Explorer 1 yesterday.

What about the OP 39mm. I prefer these to the exp 1. Just more interesting ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys! Have just sold off the Cartier and after trying the 39mm OP, the 36mm blue OP with 3 6 9 and the new Explorer 1, I have decided to go with Exp 1!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Aaroniusl I like your style.. no stuffing about pontificating about what to get for you!! Congrats on your new watch.. what in the end turned you off the Cartier. I really love my tank Americaine and don't see myself selling that watch .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
This is cool. Very cool. Couple of lume shots will be much appreciated. And Yes, Congratulations on your purchase.

Thanks guys! Have just sold off the Cartier and after trying the 39mm OP, the 36mm blue OP with 3 6 9 and the new Explorer 1, I have decided to go with Exp 1!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts