WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, picked this up awhile ago and have been debating whether or not I should keep this tarnish or leave as is. I for one have NEVER seen 14k solid gold tarnish like this before and think it gives it some character, however, I love the bright yellow gleam of gold as well. With the tarnish I doubt anyone would know it was gold by just looking at it. I think I will leave as is but I was curious as to what you all think?
20170205_173221_resized.jpg

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
My opinion is I think the nice shiny gold would look good against the patina dial. But I wouldn't polish it. There is some stuff called ez-zest that will lift the tarnish without and rubbing or polishing. Its pretty strong stuff. The proper way to use it is with a pair of tongs, and you can dip it into the solution. It only takes a few seconds to see results, so I recommend doing it in 3 second intervals until you achieve the results you want. I have used this on coins with tarnish that is not very appealing. The stuff is not flamable or anything, I just don't like putting my fingers in it. Once you reach your results, just rinse it under warm water to get the ez-zest off. Just an idea.
I forgot to add, only dip the case, so make sure the watch is apart.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yea I would never have it polished, I guess I meant just dips or solvents to remove tarnish. I don't want to remove any scratches... just the tarnish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts